Manor Lodge Discovery Centre - Sheffield

What a gem this place is and what an addition to the heritage of this city.

Went there today and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Excellent display of information, a nice cafe and some very helpful people.

This unique, historical location has long been neglected and now the addition of such a facility and the various plans in the pipeline for its continuing development, make it a must visit venue for all those Sheffielders who take pride in the city and its history.

Surely if the project is well managed, the location cannot fail to pull in 100's of folks.

Fingers crossed that when the Castle Market is eventually demolished and the remains of the Castle are uncovered, that site becomes a top class visitor location.

These 2 sites can become major attractions on the English Tourist circuit !

Thank you Running Man-totally agree with you- has anyone else been recently?

We went to the Manor Lodge open day last year and it was great.

Sheffield Manor Lodge must now rank as one of the most important visitor sites in Sheffield. It just needs to be seen so please everyone spread the word.This is our heritage and without support it will not succeed.

Guest makapaka

Taking my 20mth old little girl out tomorrow on my own to give my missus a break.

I know she's too young to get the history but is it somewhere she can have a run about while i look around (not leaving her on her own obviously!!) or is it a bit of an adult sort of set up?

runningman and abbie 2 both well said- lets get Sheffielders up there in their droves.

Why not join the Friends of Manor Lodge as well? One of Sheffielders most successfull local history groups with speakers of national renown and trips to sites asociated with Mary Queen of Scots[in captivity in Sheffield for the best part of fourteen years]. I can supply details/information also at the Manor Lodge DC.

makapaka- the discovery centre has something for young and old- inexpensive and refreshments onsite. Enjoy !

http://www.manorlodge.org.uk/

Have a look on the website. It really is an exciting venue. They say they have over 200 members for Friends of Manor Lodge. I am not surprised. They do such interesting things.

Duckweed- couldN't agree with you more. The patron of the Friends is Doctor David Starkey- he is back in Sheffield this year to, amongst other engagements, look at the progress on Manor Lodge site. Having the good Doctor as the patron is an accolade for Manor Lodge, the Friends and Sheffield .

It's about time Sheffield took pride in its part in national and world history. So much of the medieval and tudor has gone. Lets protect whats left.

That looks amazing, I'd really love to see it. Isn't it where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned for a time?

One question though, how do you get there on public transport from the city centre on Sundays?

I made a special trip there with a friend the other day. It was advertised as being open 10.00 - 4.00. It was only just after 3.00pm, and a sign on the door said "Closed due to a private function" TCH!