Lathkill Dale Walk Sunday 14th June

Here's a walk that we did in June last year, and we're repeating again at the same time of year this year especially so that we can have a look again at the rare Jacob's Ladder flower which is found in only 15 places in the country, one of which is Lathkilldale. Not only that, it is also a beautiful part of the Peaks, and the walk is one of the most popular ones we've ever done I think.

As usual it is a circular walk, which starts about a mile from the centre of Youlgreave, and as well as going through most of Lathkill Dale, also goes through Monyash, where we can stop for refreshments, and also along part of the Limestone Way. The walk is 9 miles long, but can be shortened to 5.5 miles quite easily if neccesary.

Hopefully to jog a few people's memories from last year, and to encourage people to come this year, can I just say that during last years walk we managed a lovely long lunch stop in hot sunshine under the trees outside the Bulls Head on the village green at Monyash before doing a bit of paddling in the lovely stream which goes through Lathkilldale, and eventually ended up totally chilled outside the other Bulls Head at Youlgrave! Happy days.

The walk will start at 10.30 and the meeting point is the car park on Moor lane, and can be found by taking a right turn just past the Bulls Head in Youlgrave, and then by taking another right turn at a 'T' junction on to Moor Lane itself, and then following it until you reach the car park.

I daren't hardly suggest it in view of cancellations and the godawful weather we've had, but if anybody fancies it, we can plan to have a barbeque again after the walk in the car park cos it's an ideal spot for this. Just state in your posting if you're interested and we'll take it from there.

Once again, if anybody who can offer a lift, and people who need them please say so in their posts so we can work something out.

Now all we need is for it to stop raining!

Hi Scoobz I will not be on this walk due to working was looking foreward to the BBQ as well.

Hi Scoobz I will not be on this walk due to working was looking foreward to the BBQ as well.

Hoping we can try and plan to have a bbq at Carsington again either next month or August, so don't despair!

Me and Rivelin6 will be up for the walk and BBQ. It will be my last walk for a while. We'd be grateful for a lift but not sure where we will be Saturday night yet.

Me and Rivelin6 will be up for the walk and BBQ. It will be my last walk for a while. We'd be grateful for a lift but not sure where we will be Saturday night yet.

Well taxman have a great time in iceland. Rivelin 6 do not desert the walking group just cos mr taxman is away.

Count me in, for the walk and bbq. Another lovely area with plenty of wonderful scenery.

Hi all

don't know if we are in Sheffield this coming weekend, but if we are I would love to come along on this walk. I recall the brilliant weather that we had last year and hope for the same next Sunday.

is the walk a hard one as id really like to join but fear im not fit enough plus im a very slow wlaker

I thoroughly recommend this walk, specially to anyone who hasnt done it before. Just reading Scoobz' post has brought back lovely memories of doing it last year. :D

Unfortunately I cant join you as I have got parents visiting. Have fun, I will look forward to seeing Taxmans photos as always! :thumbsup:

is the walk a hard one as id really like to join but fear im not fit enough plus im a very slow wlaker

Hi,

From what I can remember last year there was a very steep bit which I personally found difficult - lots of very steep steps, but the rest was beautiful - well worth the struggle. Also, again, if I remember rightly, there were a handful of people who left us part way round & did a shorter walk. Scoobz has said there is a shorter 5.5 mile alternative, which you could try if you thought the longer walk would be too difficult.

Hi, I will be along for this one and am looking forward to it. Was weird having to find things to do today, apart from rain dodging that is.