Renting - what fees can I expect to pay?

Thanks everyone, I'm still not sure I'd be able to find a suitable property in my preferred area run by a private landlord rather than an agency, but when the time comes I'll definitely look.

x

We are renting in Woodseats via a private landlord - there are loads of places that come up there, especially Woodseats Mews - have a look on Gumtree.

Thanks, I've looked on gumtree and there's mainly flats on there, which I don't really want as I've got a toddler and would like a garden for him to play in. Will keep looking though.

A x

justaname - The landlords I've had have only had one property and I've found them on gumtree and on here and as far as I know all the houses are occupied.

I don't know anyone who lives over in Woodseats and afriad don't know of any landlords with properties over there.

Have you put an ad up in "wanted" sections yet?

I've lived in manchester and london and agent fees are much higher! Not sure how it is in sheffield but in lots of other cities, tenants have to pay for check in, check out and lots of other bits but I don't think thats hit Sheffield yet. Speaking to one franchise agent, their response was that they are a business and tenants or landlords dont have to use agents but if they do then they must realise they are private businesses who can charge what they want....which when put the way is true! No one kicks and drags any to use an agent! My experience of using landlords direct has been worse so I feel safer with an agent even though it costs in fees etc

Private landlords often advertise locally; try newsagent windows in the area you want to move to.

That's a really good idea, thanks Vinceb.

x