Save Abbeydale Grange School

I've heard it said that Animal Grange is the bowels of the earth and that the kids who go there are just passing through...

I expect there are some very nice and very clever children that go to Abbeydale Grange.

Damn right we were :)

We left in the mid eighties. It was so good we had a massive re-union recently. Looking forward to another one!

I've heard it said that Animal Grange is the bowels of the earth and that the kids who go there are just passing through...

THAT kind of comment we can do without. :rant::rant:

I am all for constructive critisism, but that aint it. Please, be nice. If you support us, great. If you dont, there may be other threads for you to go bad mouthing on.

Please remember the meeting tonight, in Cafe 2 at the school at 6pm.

Thank you to everyone that has made supportive and helpful comments, lets hope we will be successful on Wednesday!

Do you have constructive evidence to show that the abysmal academic record is related to the numbers of pupils coming to the UK late in their school career, rather than poor teaching practices?

Abbeydale Grange was a respectful Grammer school and became a comprehensive school.

I went between 1976-1981.

It was a great school but has gone downhill from the early eighties.

It is not the school it used to be and is almost 100% mutil cultural.

This is not a racist comment but an honest fact.

I have fond memories of the school but i am sad to see that it has gone the way it has.

It wasn't perfect even when i was there but at least the kids had respect for the teachers and it was disciplined.

I say, bring back caning and the slipper and detention.

Paul

I was also there at that time. I also have fond memories to a degree but it was certainly in decline even then ( see - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/1999/sep/14/nickdavies. It describes the history better than most perhaps). It is this long constant and consistent decline that is lodged in peoples perception - and indeed mine that needs to be overcome. The fact that there are people that still care about AG amazes me. There must be something very special there for you to feel that way. I truly wish you the best of luck

Jordanthorpe, several years ago, the primary school was closed down on the alleged grounds of a decline in the local birth rate.

This turned out to be untrue, and the exercise perceived locally as no more than a land-grab for developers that put money in the council coffers.

The same reason for arguing for closure is given concerning Abbeydale Grange, which has land that i also prime development land. It could be that that this case is just another land-grab.

If the school has been in difficulty for so long, why was nothing effective done about it? Surely this is an admission of the council failing the children for years.

The Star reports upon the alleged consultation that has taken place. In this month's full council, it was shown that claims of consultation on schools with parents were unsustainable.

An influencing reason for some parents seeking to place their children elsewhere was given as a 'high proportion of ethnic minority people'.

Is this not a racist attitude that should not be given the oxygen of publicity? Surely, for the council even to consider this racist reasoning as a valid reason for closing down the school is pandering to racists?

Who instructed the council officers to conduct an inquiry into the viability of the school and WHY did the council NOT do anything effective to rectify its failing status? Surely, the people being failed are the children.

Finally, is not this action no more than a contrivance to put money in the council coffers?

PC

The above is a letter in the sheffield star !!

My point on it is as been said if its a failing school or as some say on the forum bad kids then WHY has more not been done over the years ??

Why have the children been let down for so long ??

Just back from the meeting, which was very well attended. Thanks to everyone that came, we really do appreciate your help and support. All we need to do now is email all the councillors in readiness for Wednesday's Cabinet meeting.

An email will be sent out to all those that left their details, outlining some of the points to put in the email letters to the councillors.

Dont forget if you want to attend on Wednesday, you can, and are allowed to arrive 30 minutes early in order to ask any questions.

It was a great meeting, very positive. Let's hope the outcome on Wednesday is also positive!

Thanks again everyone!

Please see the past article from TES on fortunes of Fir Vale which was Fresh Started in 1999.

//www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=379713

This demonstrates Sheffield's track record in and experience in successfully turning round schools.

This requires commitment, tenacity and courage.

Question all involved,and particularly the elected members of Sheffield Council's cabinet who will make the final decision, is do they have these qualities and do they want to known for having them.

Or do they take the simple, quick and easy option

I know what I look for in those I mandate to lead the City.

Jordanthorpe, several years ago, the primary school was closed down on the alleged grounds of a decline in the local birth rate.This turned out to be untrue, and the exercise perceived locally as no more than a land-grab for developers that put money in the council coffers.

Thats true....but the birth rate actually increased leading to "mixed year groups" and oversubscription of the merged schools. The jordanthorpe school site hasn't YET been sold off....only time will tell!:suspect:

The council will do as they will...no amount of protest or "facts" will alter their position.

ohh BTW when the jordanthorpe primary was earmarked for closure LibDems were in power....I remember those weekly council meetings with Peter Moore :hihi:

when the schools were actually merged and then the probs arised about "over subs" the LD's actually blamed the Labour party.......cos Labour had to enforce the LD's decisions!!! :hihi::rolleyes:

Wish you luck with Abbeydale...but honest..you aint got a "hope in hells chance" of saving ya school....its all signed an sealed.....trust me!

I don't know much about the School, but I went to one that was also seen as "the rubbish school". Firstly, I think the parent's attitude to school is a dominant factor, but I also think that the problem is how the money is spent. The spending per pupil on local authority run secondary schools in 2007 was £4320, according to the download on this page:

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/TIM/m002001/index.shtml

Why aren't the kids being taught in class sizes of 10 or 12? Where is all that money going? Once you get the class size down you would have a better chance of controlling the kids and improving the results. And the money is there! You could pay every teacher up to £38k and still have over £4k for the room, the heating and the books, and the employer paid teacher pension & taxes. That's with 10 pupils. With 12 you could go higher.

Average class size in 2007? 21.3. See:

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/TIM/m002008/index.shtml

the first wisewood consultation i went to along time ago now - i was told among the wisewood and myers -to close (and merge) at least two others would close in sheffield

I asked a labour counciler who was there and they stated it was deffo Abbydale grange.

was one of them .this is when it was sheffield labour council - im thinking now Lib dems could easy stop the close of abbydale if they wanted to - UNLESS this is coming from the labour government and they stated to close the school as part of the bsf money thats gone to sheffield - something i think you should asked maybe??

again im sure if you contact socs website they will try help you more if they can , good luck

Hi there.

Missed the meeting on Monday because of other commitments. Can you let me know of any further meetings - I'd like to take part. You can PM me for my email address.

Can the uneducated who keep replying to this thread with nonsense please stop. My daughter is at Abbeydale and is already more intelligent than you. Whatever schools you attended have obviously failed you.