Save Abbeydale Grange School

I haven't lived in Sheffield forover 40 years but still visit and have relatives there. I attended Abbeydale for girls in the 60s and it was a wonderful school. What went wrong? If it is going to be demolished I hope some one takes photos of the place beforehand..... or p'raps I should have done that years ago!!

We have just found out that although we were told we had until the end of term (which, for us is 19th July) to find a federation partner, the date has been brought forward to 8th July!

We now need to step things up again, and I have already emailed all the councillors again to ask how its possible for them to do this. We were told that the parents and friends of students would be involved in the federation attempts, and that we would be able to help make the choice of school, etc, to ensure the best possible outcome. Nobody has been informed of any attempts made to contact possible federation partners so far, and we need to find out why this is, and when we can expect to hear some news, etc.

There is a meeting for all supporters at AGS in the main school hall on 25th June at 6pm. We really do need everyone's support, this is so important.

I hope to see you there.

Rae

Great vid!

Unfortunately I still think it should go - the inspections are clear that the school is failing it's pupils with poor teaching and learning. Not sure how it can be turned around, think it's probably too late - and as a parent who lives in the catchment (with no intention of sending my children there), if it closes, we may well move into catchment for High Storrs with boundary changes and I would be less worried about what the future holds for my kids...

Just get rid of it and do us all a favour.

Well I guess delusions of grandeur are one thing - boundary changes and different catchment areas indeed - but I have to say that we DONT live in catchment and CHOSE this school and it actually ISNT failing... how can people keep labelling it a failure and not expect it to affect the kids? The teaching ISNT poor - have you spent any time in the school, maybe witnessed a lesson? And yes, maybe the GCSE grades are a bit low, but considering the fact that a lot of kids come to the school halfway through a year and speak NO english whatsoever, you can hardly expect it to be top of the league for good results.

I have no worries about my kids, and they go to AGS. My youngest will hopefully go there too, next year. I have no qualms about sending my kids there. Its friendly and welcoming with a very good rapport between kids and staff. All you doubters have obviously never spent any time there to witness the way a day works in the school. If you had, I think you'd be thinking differently.

We have just found out that although we were told we had until the end of term (which, for us is 19th July) to find a federation partner, the date has been brought forward to 8th July!

We now need to step things up again, and I have already emailed all the councillors again to ask how its possible for them to do this. We were told that the parents and friends of students would be involved in the federation attempts, and that we would be able to help make the choice of school, etc, to ensure the best possible outcome. Nobody has been informed of any attempts made to contact possible federation partners so far, and we need to find out why this is, and when we can expect to hear some news, etc.

There is a meeting for all supporters at AGS in the main school hall on 25th June at 6pm. We really do need everyone's support, this is so important.

I hope to see you there.

Rae

Any chance you could just explain exactly what this "federation" means? Sorry never heard of this before:huh:

Verona ... yet another constructive comment from one of the ne'er-do-well's.

funfamily, have you ever visited AGS and seen the work that goes, as if not I urge you not to listen to the badmouthers who have no backing for there comments appart from what they have heard or read and spend a day there and i'm 100% sure that you would have a differant opinion.

Flatten it and build houses.

Flatten it and build houses.

What on earth makes you think we need more houses rather than a school:huh:

Hard federation, as defined by http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/federations

* The definition as invoked in the 2002 Education Act which allows for the creation of a single governing body or a joint governing body committee across two or more schools from September 2003 onwards.

* A group of schools with a formal (i.e. written) agreement to work together to raise standards, promote inclusion, find new ways of approaching teaching and learning and build capacity between schools in a coherent manner. This will be brought about in part through structural changes in leadership and management, in many instances through making use of the joint governance arrangements invoked in the 2002 Education Act.

We see these as “hard” federations as they sit at the hard end of a whole spectrum of collaborative arrangements, and we recognise the need for strong levels of trust and confidence in order for schools to want the formal and binding commitments that federation implies. We are therefore keen to promote collaboration at all levels, in the understanding that schools need to take a measured and staged approach to cooperation and collaboration to ensure its long-term impact and success.

We hope that, as schools move towards structured and sustainable collaboration, we will be creating system-wide change and actually transforming the culture of education.

Verona do you really actually want this as far as i understand the council will have to follow the goverment's affordable housing policy.

52 acres of 2 and 3 bed housing would be not what someone with your NIMBY attitude would want i'm sure of that.