Taking children out of school to go on holiday?

does anyone know the ins and outs of this subject??? im not sure if its just frowned upon or completely unallowed? the reason i ask is we have won a weeks free holiday at thornwick bay but cant take it during the 6 weeks holiday so we either waste it or take my son out of school for a week for the only chance of a holiday we will get this year. anyone know how it works??? thanks

you are allowed 10 days - depends on the school really though

i know a lot of people that take their kids out of school for holidays during term time. the school my children attend,you have to fill a holiday form out stating as to why you want to take your child out on holiday during school time. the headmaster normally allows this depending on the child attendence. your best bet is to enquire at the school. me personallly dont take my children on holiday during school time but thats only because i can take them any other time during holidays. good luck

another thing is hes only in reception so i cant really see it affecting his schooling that much

Depends on what value you put on the time lost from your son's education versus the free holiday.

according to a recent statement from the local education authority if your child has at least a 90% attendance rate then your child/children maybe allowed to use the 10 day holiday in term time rule (sorry i dont have a link for this statement)

Well seeing as most reception classes consist of playing in water and sand, i'd think he won't be missing out on any core subject areas :lol:

On a more sensible note, i'd contact your school and ask them, most have a form you have to fill in, and as long as the childs attendence is upto a certain standard, it should be fine.

If you need to take your kids out of school then simply dont take them. Education is far more important than a freebie holiday.

:)

Depends on what value you put on the time lost from your son's education versus the free holiday.

I don't agree with that.

My view on it is that as an exception, it's fine, but I would rather not take her out of school as it's not just the education but it can have a bearing on delicate friendships. As you have stated your son is in reception, he's hardly going to suffer from a week away from school and I'm a great believer in living is learning. Holidays are a learning process too and memories to look back on. I think in circumstances like yours, where you have won the holiday, the school will be sympathetic and although they decide whether to allow or not, the decision is yours in the end.

Have a wonderful holiday and take no notice of people who criticise you, you're not doing anything wrong.

why should parents take there child/children on holiday during school holidays & pay extortionate rates when its cheaper to go out of the normal school holiday?

One week off school will do him no harm whatsoever.

Just make sure to agree it with the head, pointing out that it's your family's only chance of a break together, and saying he will catch up with any work when he returns - not that a reception age child will have much to catch up on! Ask if there are any books they are using in class you can take away with you. Point up what a great opportunity it is, and how it will make your family so much happier to spend time together.

They are allowed two weeks 'authorised absence', though some schools try to get numpty about it.

Holidays are a good time for the family to spend together without the daily stresses of day to day life and quality family time is also important in a childs life. If your child has good school attendance I say go for it, you shouldn't have problem.