We buy any car

Lots of people must have seen the....we buy any car...advert on the internet as well as on tv,where you enter the vehicle registration and a buying price is sent to you....i have done this a couple of times to see the difference in values and it has risen for secondhand cars in the last couple of months.Our local one is Carcraft in Sheffield and i have thought about selling my car as i no longer use it much and i think a fair price is offered and at the end of the day ...no hassle...there are plenty of happy customers so they say but i wondered if anyone on the forums has used it or know anyone who has? and what was their experience of it,was it as hassle free as stated?..with over 50,000 satisfied customers surely somebody knows one.............i don't....:)

i think the deal is they will buy your car but only if you buy another one from them in the same deal.

What happens is - they give you a value for your car on the website. Let's say they value it at £5000.

You then take it to one of their centres, where they will inspect it.

Which they do to the n'th degree. Any marks, scratches or scrapes, no matter how tiny will affect that pricing - as will the general condition of the interior, tyres, engine wear, service history etc etc. Even if your car is sparkling showroom-clean, with a full MOT and service history and impeccable inside, they'll try and barter down the price.

Obviously, the more that's wrong with the car, the bigger the chunks they'll take off their offer price - if they see that your £5000 offered car has a scratch on the door, and a wee supermarket-trolley dent in the boot, plus a fag burn in the carpet and you'll be lucky to be offered £4000.

I thought about using it, but decided against it for the reasons Opalfruit suggested.

Plus, where do they sell all these cars? When I listed my car on Autotrader I was swamped by phone calls from companies with "people wanting to buy my car", and if I paid them money they'd put me in touch with these people.

But when I suggested they put me in touch with the buyers first and I'd give them a commission from the sale, they were very reluctant!

When I buy a car, I tend to use Autotrader or Ebay or the local rag, not some kind of finding service.

Bit of a rob if you ask me.

i know of someone who had an interview to work there, but down south. as said the process is a ball ache and they do all they can to get the prices down. the prices they quote on the internet are based on concourse quality cars, despite what you say on the forms.

either sell privately or take it to a garage but i certainly wouldnt bother with the hastle of doing it this way.

Freind from work took his car up, they gave him what they quoted with out any problems.

i think the deal is they will buy your car but only if you buy another one from them in the same deal.

Thanks for reply Scott,but that is just a part exchange deal,i am just looking to sell car for cash and bide my time to look around as i am in no great need of one anymore,and this looks an easy way of getting rid.The reason i'm asking is i was told yesterday by a dealer they don't pay any monies out till car is sold!!their offer to me is not bad at all without p/ex but like most people i'm thinking were's the catch ?Still it won't hurt to try it......:)

Got a quote for £700 for my '96 BMW 323i from we buy any car. Really needed to sell it so took the car down there. I didn't embellish any details or not tell them about any scratches/damage etc.

Took it to the Carcraft place in Sheffield - anyway, the dealer soon did his inspection and drew on his little diagram of where there was supposedly damage and offered £250 - ridiculous!

Sold it on AutoTrader for more than the original £700 offered. Had loads of phone calls and it was gone the next day - well worth the tenner to run the ad.

You have to go in there knowing that they're going to beat you down on the price.

I wouldn't bother again - AutoTrader was the best way!

I thought about using it, but decided against it for the reasons Opalfruit suggested.

Plus, where do they sell all these cars? When I listed my car on Autotrader I was swamped by phone calls from companies with "people wanting to buy my car", and if I paid them money they'd put me in touch with these people.

But when I suggested they put me in touch with the buyers first and I'd give them a commission from the sale, they were very reluctant!

When I buy a car, I tend to use Autotrader or Ebay or the local rag, not some kind of finding service.

They don't always take notice but it's worth putting "NC" (No Canvassers) on any ad in a paper or magazine...

Hi, i took a Jag x-type in on sunday to get shut of it. It had a full service on it and low mileage(45000) on a 02 plate. It also had a bad knocking from underneath which 6 garages failed to find including a Jaguar dealer. Got a price off the internet for £3500 which is a bit low but in this current climate aint a bad price. Took it in on sunday hoping they would not take it for a test drive or they would of heard the knocking. To my joy they did not bother, just a quick look round the car and knocked £200 off cos of a bad paint scuff on the rear bumper. GREAT. Said the money would be in the bank in 3-4 days and its gone in. X-type on london road (02) plate for £2300 so i think i've done well for once!