Sign in to follow this  

Parents to be fined?

I recently read that Parents could face fines if they take their kids on holiday during term time. I mean, what do the people who dream up these ideas exepct the parents to do? Not have a holiday? Some people have to take their holidays when they can and cannot pick when to have them.

Dear Lickszz,

I agree with you 100 per cent, who do these people think they are? dictating to us who work all year, then tell us when and how long our children can have off school for the holiday's. There ought to be protest's on the street's and marches like the ones we have just seen against war in Iraq. :lol::D:roll:

Sorry but I totally disagree. I just do not believe that with 13 weeks holidays per year, not to mention the 5 teacher training days that parents cannot manage to obtain time off from work which coincides with some of the school hols.

If you are taking 2 weeks extra per year off school you are robbing your child of 6 months education over their school life.

I do agree that the holiday industry does rip us all off but that is another issue and Government could and should address it.

The bottom line is how highly do you value your children's education.

Mo

Originally posted by "Mo"

Sorry but I totally disagree. I just do not believe that with 13 weeks holidays per year, not to mention the 5 teacher training days that parents cannot manage to obtain time off from work which coincides with some of the school hols.

If you are taking 2 weeks extra per year off school you are robbing your child of 6 months education over their school life.

I do agree that the holiday industry does rip us all off but that is another issue and Government could and should address it.

The bottom line is how highly do you value your children's education.

Mo

Perhaps you should get in the real world. Not everybody can afford to pay high summer prices when it's peak time. I think it's the amount of Holidays that kids/teachers have that is a seperate issue.

Prices depend on what you do - if you can't afford one kind of holiday do something else. I can sympathise with the situation where parents can't get time off during school holidays or where a certain trip can only happen at a certain time, but taking kids out of school to miss peak prices? Be more imaginative about where you go. Not everywhere suddenly becomes prohibitively expensive.

Originally posted by "Chris Wade"

Prices depend on what you do - if you can't afford one kind of holiday do something else. I can sympathise with the situation where parents can't get time off during school holidays or where a certain trip can only happen at a certain time, but taking kids out of school to miss peak prices? Be more imaginative about where you go. Not everywhere suddenly becomes prohibitively expensive.

What do you mean prices depend on what you do? No matter where you go prices are higher and it's more difficult to get booked during peak season. Obviously money is not an issue to you and you are used to been able to afford to pay whatever it takes, not everybody has this luxury. If a place doesn't fluctuate in price during peak season then I should imagine that there isn't any real demand to visit this place. This is just one issue the main one been is that some people simply can't get time off work during kids holidays. My point is that it would cost a family more money either way. They either go away and get fined or go in peak season when kids are off and pay inflated prices. Perhaps the poorer families should sacrifice thinking about any holiday for 16 or so years until their child has left school, that's if they only have one of course.

Where do you normally go on holiday?

Guest Guest

i think you should pay for a lisence to have children in the first place, then if you have more than 4 you should be fined as there are are too many children in the world already. Why not consider adopting?

As for holidays, if everyone took their kids on holiday at the same time the resorts would be full and prices would be sky high. I was never taken out of school for holidays as we never went anywhere but the holiday itself can be of more educational use to the child than two weeks in a boring school environment.

Learning about different countries and cultures - geography & history, foreign money - maths, perhaps picking up new languages, or at least having something decent to write about when the teacher says "write about something you enjoyed at some point in your life".

I think it's disgraceful for parents to take their children on holiday when they should be in school. There's no excuse.

I've been taken out of school a few times to go on holiday. I must say that this has only been in years 5 and 6 when the lessons I'd missed would hardly leave me at a disadvantage. I have also been to see the teacher to get a folder of work to catch up with in the evenings when I had returned to school.

A family holiday is rather expensive these days, when booking with a reputable travel operator, but whats more alarming is that Travel operators know parents value their child's education, so they add a few more quid on the price of the holiday to make sure that they're cashing in.

I can't see no problem with taking a child out of school for a holiday. As long as the timing is suitable (no exams or major tests to be taken) I cant see that there'd be a problem. I know the teachers would be peeved when a child isn't understanding the classwork that the rest of the kids are doing, but what would be so terrible about taking a worksheet home explaining what has to be learnt?!

Originally posted by "Sidla"

I think it's disgraceful for parents to take their children on holiday when they should be in school. There's no excuse.

But it's okay for the school to close for a week because of building work or teacher training days? surely all the teachers don't have to attend the training at once? There is plenty of genuine/viable excuses, you are just not looking hard enough.

Originally posted by "Anonymous"

i think you should pay for a lisence to have children in the first place, then if you have more than 4 you should be fined as there are are too many children in the world already. Why not consider adopting?

As for holidays, if everyone took their kids on holiday at the same time the resorts would be full and prices would be sky high. I was never taken out of school for holidays as we never went anywhere but the holiday itself can be of more educational use to the child than two weeks in a boring school environment.

Learning about different countries and cultures - geography & history, foreign money - maths, perhaps picking up new languages, or at least having something decent to write about when the teacher says "write about something you enjoyed at some point in your life".

Couldn't agree more... afterall you only a child once, you need to be a child not stuck with your head in a book all the time. Kids are under enough pressures these days and a break can do you good.