Plans to put fluoride in Sheffield water?

Oh how we love our statistics!

By what measure is Prozac 94% fluoride (think you mean fluorINE in this case but we'll let that pass)? Certainly not by weight, volume or number of atoms in the molecule.

If you mean "Prozac's got some fluorine in it and it's a mind altering drug" then you're correct but it's also got oxygen, hydrogen and carbon in it so you'd best not do any more breathing, drinking or eating ... it's mind altering dontcha know?

Furthermore, pure "common" salt is made 100% of sodium and chlorine, both highly dangerous substances so your, unfounded, point is....?

Fair enough. Don't go swimming at your local pool then. The chlorine'll get ya.

:)

Statistics are often used to illustrate a point. The quote about Prozac is from an anti fluoride website. Of course there are other active and inactive chemicals in Prozac - I never suggested otherwise.

People are more familiar with the word Flouride, as opposed to Fluorine. Obviously you know that we're talking about Sodium Fluoride being added to the water, not naturally occourring Calcium Fluoride.

And no, I'm not suggesting that just because something occours naturally that it must be safe.

My reason for putting the information up there in the first place is that I hope people will look at more of the information for themselves, instead of just thinking "It's in toothpaste. It must be good for me."

I don't want to make groundless claims, nor do I want to put people off with too much science. The problem is there are companies that will, and already do, make signifcant amounts of money from flouridation of the water supplies. And they are happy to make much more dangerous, and totally false, claims and lie to polititians and councils, etc..., to make it happen.

No matter what, we should have the choice about what goes into our bodies and be educated honestly about the possible effects. One of the reasons that we are not, is that most people tend to panic and would just say no.

Alpha amylase used as a flour improver in bread, for example. This GM product has been in our food for years but its origin was kept quiet because there would, quite probably, have been a backlash against it. Harmful or not.

Aspartame - known to cause mental retardation in children, among other, just as hilarious, effects. But, thanks to Regan and groups that backed his campaign - what was once banned as a deadly poison is now safe to put in all kinds of food and drink.

Strange that.

Lies for money. The people are cattle. So, a few poor kids die earlier than they would have. Who cares?

Etc...

The overriding point and the reason I keep biting at this hook, is I don't think it is a good idea to drink water that contains a significant enough amount of fluoride to effect the health of those that drink it. I don't think it will do me or you any good. It may even hurt us. Which would be a great shame.

Sodium fluoride is a by product of the fertiliser industry,

if it escapes into the environment it is called a pollutant,

Why should we be forced to swallow it?.

it cannot be 100% filtered out of your drinking water supply,

it's not a natural substance and may contain other contaminants

,also there will be fluoride in beer, And anything else that is produced

locally that uses water in production.

This is a human rights issue, teach children to brush their teeth,

my teeth are fine, i've lived in sheff nearly all my life!,

and ive hardly ever been to the dentist,

they say they care about people's teeth, why have their policies made it harder

To access dental treatment?, its all lie's.

This added Fluoride is a mind altering substance, in small quantities it may not be harmful, but we should have the choice to take this or not. The government want always to push its own agenda, Force its own way on us,look at what has happened in Southampton, 75% of the people in the test were against introducing it, but they get it anyway because the SHA authority

know better.

Edited by Esa666

they say they care about people's teeth, why have their policies made it harder

To access dental treatment?, its all lie's.

Exactly.

I'm still seethint at Tony Bliar's broken promise to provide NHS dentistry for all :rant:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/459949.stm

x

Here is a letter (with permission from the writer) which was published recently in the local press:

Green MEP for the South East Caroline Lucas has challenged the Secretary of State for Health, Andy Burnham, over his position as vice president of the British Fluoridation Society - at a time when health authorities in Southampton were giving the go-ahead to a "mass medication" water fluoridation scheme.

He was instrumental in proposing the inclusion of compulsory water fluoridation in the Government's 2003 Water Act. He resigned from this position in recent weeks, but Dr Lucas MEP today joined with UK Councils' Against Fluoridation (UKCAF) to question why Mr Burnham's links with the Society were not included in his register of interests, despite strict Parliament regulations stating such interests must be declared.

Dr Lucas MEP said: "It is of great concern that the Health Secretary was able to closely align himself with a body whose sole business is to promote water fluoridation at the same time that he was due to make key decisions about the future of the UK's water supply. Parliament's regulations on MPs' interests are supposed to prevent alliances which can fundamentally inform policy - but clearly they are not fit for purpose."

Earlier this year, the Green MEP warned that the region's health authorities were setting a "reckless precedent" for future fluoridation schemes in the South East with their decision to press ahead with fluoridation plans in Southampton.

Although 72% of people in Southampton voted against fluoridation in a poll conducted by the Strategic Health Authority, the SHA is pressing ahead with the scheme. A legal case regarding the highly criticised consultation process has been announced and legal aid has been obtained by the person bringing the case against South Central SHA.

Dr Lucas MEP said: "The ill-advised decision to implement water fluoridation in Southampton demonstrates contempt for the views of local people - and for the evidence against fluoridation itself.

"Water fluoridation has simply not been proven to be effective for teeth, and some studies have indicated links between fluoridation and serious ill health effects, including thyroid problems, skeletal fluorosis, bone cancers and mental problems".

"The scheme in Southampton amounts to a mass medication of the population. I have made a formal complaint to the European Commission regarding the failure of the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to properly classify hexafluorosilic acid, used in fluoridation of drinking water under the UK Water Act 2003, as a medicinal product. The correct classification would likely mean the UK's water fluoridation schemes would contravene EU law.

"In place of mass fluoridation, the UK Government could be improving the health of our teeth through targeted schemes such as providing free toothpaste for poor families. This decision in Southampton sets a reckless precedent for future fluoridation plans in the South East, and we must be vigilant of further attempts to affect our water in this way."

Is there no end to the depths Labour MPs will sink in order to poison our water supply?

Frank Plunkett, Weakland Crescent, Sheffield 12

I grew up in Hartlepool where fluoride was added to water. I'm fine!

That's the effect it has. Your fine and dumb and uncreative.

Here is a letter (with permission from the writer) which was published recently in the local press:

Green MEP for the South East Caroline Lucas has challenged the Secretary of State for Health, Andy Burnham, over his position as vice president of the British Fluoridation Society - at a time when health authorities in Southampton were giving the go-ahead to a "mass medication" water fluoridation scheme.

He was instrumental in proposing the inclusion of compulsory water fluoridation in the Government's 2003 Water Act. He resigned from this position in recent weeks, but Dr Lucas MEP today joined with UK Councils' Against Fluoridation (UKCAF) to question why Mr Burnham's links with the Society were not included in his register of interests, despite strict Parliament regulations stating such interests must be declared.

Dr Lucas MEP said: "It is of great concern that the Health Secretary was able to closely align himself with a body whose sole business is to promote water fluoridation at the same time that he was due to make key decisions about the future of the UK's water supply. Parliament's regulations on MPs' interests are supposed to prevent alliances which can fundamentally inform policy - but clearly they are not fit for purpose."

Earlier this year, the Green MEP warned that the region's health authorities were setting a "reckless precedent" for future fluoridation schemes in the South East with their decision to press ahead with fluoridation plans in Southampton.

Although 72% of people in Southampton voted against fluoridation in a poll conducted by the Strategic Health Authority, the SHA is pressing ahead with the scheme. A legal case regarding the highly criticised consultation process has been announced and legal aid has been obtained by the person bringing the case against South Central SHA.

Dr Lucas MEP said: "The ill-advised decision to implement water fluoridation in Southampton demonstrates contempt for the views of local people - and for the evidence against fluoridation itself.

"Water fluoridation has simply not been proven to be effective for teeth, and some studies have indicated links between fluoridation and serious ill health effects, including thyroid problems, skeletal fluorosis, bone cancers and mental problems".

"The scheme in Southampton amounts to a mass medication of the population. I have made a formal complaint to the European Commission regarding the failure of the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to properly classify hexafluorosilic acid, used in fluoridation of drinking water under the UK Water Act 2003, as a medicinal product. The correct classification would likely mean the UK's water fluoridation schemes would contravene EU law.

"In place of mass fluoridation, the UK Government could be improving the health of our teeth through targeted schemes such as providing free toothpaste for poor families. This decision in Southampton sets a reckless precedent for future fluoridation plans in the South East, and we must be vigilant of further attempts to affect our water in this way."

Is there no end to the depths Labour MPs will sink in order to poison our water supply?

Frank Plunkett, Weakland Crescent, Sheffield 12

Brilliant post, keep it up.. I only have to hear the accents of the brummies and geordies to put me off flouride.

I haven't read this thread but I want to add my two pennorth worth anyhow.

I am totally against mass medication of any form. I am also totally against anybody adding anything to my drinking water! I know cleansing agents are added and I can't do much about that. BUT.......fluoride......NO.

I am allmost of pensionable age and I retain most of my teeth. I only have a couple of fillings which happened because of a natural event called childbirth.

None of my children came out of school clutching the wrong coloured dental form! Not one of them had a single filling before the age of 20+. What they did to their teeth after this age was purely down to them.

If you want to stuff your face with boiled sweets/chocolate/ etc. Thats fine. If you want to quaff gallons of sweet fizzy drinks etc......thats also fine. If you can't be bothered to brush your teeth......thats fine as well. BUT.......why should everybody else have to take medication on a daily basis in order to make the dental health of those that don't care, better?

The reason that there are so many small children having to have their teeth filled/pulled is because their parents don't care a jot what their kids eat/drink!

Address the problem at ground level and it stands a chance of being solved........nah....that's a stupid statement to make because there will allways be those that really couldn't care a s*** about brushing their childrens teeth or restricting the amount of sugary stuff they eat!

Fluoride is in toothepaste. Fluoride tablets can be bought cheaply and administered easily. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to medicate the nation in order to address the problems that appear because of parental neglect!

Fluoridation can have a damaging effect on those that do follow a dental regime. It can cause blackening of the teeth if too much fluoride is taken. So for those that brush their teeth regularly with fluoride toothpaste........fluoridation of the water might just cause overdose and present itself in the form of blackened teeth.

I know there are other reasons as to not flouridate water as well, but they escape me just now.

All I know is that I don't want anything beyond the necessary to be added to my water. It's pure and simply wrong!

Rothschild, I agree with you 100%.

The whole idea of mass medication because a percentage of the population won't take responsibility for their own/children's well being is evil.

The people it is designed to help are still going to consume vast quantities of sugary foods/drinks, so any potential good of mass fluoridation will be negated.

I am passionately against the idea.

This debate is pretty meaningless and we are ALL missing the point. What we should be saying is that:

No government should ever be allowed to mass-medicate the population.

I was sure folic acid has been in bread since the second world war. It was on TV a couple of weeks ago, BBC4 had a season on the history of farming, Blood Sweat & Tractors.

Wiki says:

The international effort to start enriching flour was launched during the 1940s as a means to improve the health of the wartime populations of the British and United States while food was being rationed and alternative sources of the nutrients were scarce. The decision to choose flour for enrichment was based on its commonality in the diets of those wartime populations, ranging from the rich to the poor. A major factor in the switch to enriched flour in the United States was the U.S. Army's restriction in 1942, that it would purchase only enriched flour.

Hmm. According to The Times [April 5th 2006]

FOLIC ACID will be added to bread within a year to reduce the number of babies born with spina bifida and other defects in a U-turn by the Government’s food watchdog.

see:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article702110.ece

I think fortified flour is generally flour enriched with B-vitamins.

I see there was a rise in Spina Bifida in Scotland, in spite of medicating bread.

Fluoride Facts - Poison!

Fluoride is the bio-accumulative toxic that we all ingest every day either through the drinking water or toothpaste. It is believed that someone has lots of benefits from making people sick (to sell pills) or to make them dumber so we can listen/obey better. It is believed that fluoride does exactly that! We ingest it in large quantities without any reason. The fact is that we can have perfectly good teeth without fluoride. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has never approved any fluoride product designed for ingestion as safe or effective. Some of the diseases/states that have direct influence from ingesting fluoride on daily basis: Osteoporosis, Dental Fluorosis, Hypoactivity or sluggishness, Reduced I.Q, Alzheimer's disease, Cancer. The list continues.