Sign in to follow this  

Sheffield Schools - Closure of sixth forms

Hi all

Wondering if anyone can give me any help? I'm trying to find out a bit more about when Sheffield Council shut most of the sixth form schools down in Sheffield. All the documents/reports I have found with regards to this sugest that it was sometime in the late 1980's (I think after the education reform act), but I really am having difficulty tracking down the evidence and finding out why the decision was made (I am assuming saving money might be the obvious answer!).

Can anyone help????

Thanks!

I was in my final year at school when the majority of sixth forms closed - 1986. I just remember lots people talking about "Sheffield going tertiary" ..... but no real explanation was given. A few 6th forms did stay open though, I was at Frecheville School which closed in 1987 anyway (merged with Thornbridge to create Birley School). I know Thornbridge had a small sixth form but I ended up going to what was Richmond College to do A levels. Somewhere between 1986 and 1989 all the sixth forms closed.

Thanks that's helped me so much!