Woman who was made to walk after being 13p short

It would be good to hear from someone who was on the tram, doubt very much it was 'empty'.

Cant see anyone admitting to it as we would prob lay into them for not giving her the 13p.

Overall, I really dont think this should make front page!!!

xXx

I think the fact that you and others would first look to blame the person in question, would conjure up first - in the absence of any other information - a crappy 'gobshyte' personality - rather than assume that it just might be someone like your mum or best friend in that situation, says even more about what a rubbishy depth we've sunk to.

And I thought I was a misanthropic pessimist :roll: .

Whereas you assume that the public at large, your fellow humans no less, would see a tearful young mum treated poorly for no good reason and not help and that this provides evidence of total moral meltdown!

Rather than trying to rationalise, accept that you only have the presentation of events that appeared in the rag and realise why newspapers exist!

It would be good to hear from someone who was on the tram, doubt very much it was 'empty'.

Cant see anyone admitting to it as we would prob lay into them for not giving her the 13p.

Overall, I really dont think this should make front page!!!

xXx

Surely not?

I mean they'd hardly provide the clarity and lack of bias that the Star does?

Whereas you assume that the public at large, your fellow humans no less, would see a tearful young mum treated poorly for no good reason and not help and that this provides evidence of total moral meltdown!

Rather than trying to rationalise, accept that you only have the presentation of events that appeared in the rag and realise why newspapers exist!

I'm not addressing The Star's reporting priorities, qualities and editorial policies. I'm aware of how the tabloids function. I'm addressing the story on the basis of my original assumption: that the person who started the thread was reporting a story they'd heard from a friend or colleague.

In terms of that story, I rationalise by assuming that the British public behave en masse as they generally do when faced by a scene of any description: by shuffling uncomfortably in their seats while simultaneously straining their ears for the details. You rationalise by assuming the individual is at fault. I suppose the latter assumption at least allows you to absolve yourself of any responsibility should you imagine yourself in a similar bystander situation.

I just went to Tesco to buy some Special Brew. I was 13p short so she made me put it back.

How mean and thoughtless. :suspect:

i would help someone out for a few pence if they were genuine and not trying it on. Its sometimes difficult to tell if thats the case, you really would have to be there.

Unfortunatley its all the people who do try and blag a free tram ride that have created this situation, its easy to assume everyone is blagging.

Saying all that, the price is the price, I wouldn't expect to be let off a few pence in Tescos for example, even if the item was essential, like medicine (or a lovley can of special brew:) I fail to see the difference here.

I'm not addressing The Star's reporting priorities, qualities and editorial policies. I'm aware of how the tabloids function. I'm addressing the story on the basis of my original assumption: that the person who started the thread was reporting a story they'd heard from a friend or colleague.

In terms of that story, I rationalise by assuming that the British public behave en masse as they generally do when faced by a scene of any description: by shuffling uncomfortably in their seats while simultaneously straining their ears for the details. You rationalise by assuming the individual is at fault. I suppose the latter assumption at least allows you to absolve yourself of any responsibility should you imagine yourself in a similar bystander situation.

Except I don't and have not assumed that the individual was/is at fault.

I merely stated that this might not be as simplistic as poor tearful woman/evil conductor/lazy and indifferent audience/broken britain/all going to hell in a handcart etc.

I also stated that I, in a situation such as the above, would not have hesitated to pay the difference for her.

Also, I think you are making too many assumptions about the public's appetite for eavesdropping. Most people under 40 on public transport are too busy reading the Metro or listening to their MP3 players to notice what could have looked a fairly innocent situation from a few rows of seats away.

On another thread, some bus drivers explained that they could not throw off noisy and disruptive teenage schoolchildren even when they caused a nuisance to other passengers. This applied also when the said schoolchildren jumped on the bus without showing their passes.

So authority as usual picks on the weak.

I think this says it all about the state of this country.

This is the Star's lead story today? They're definitely losing it.

Would be interesting to hear the conductor's story. I've always found them be very helpful and friendly. One wonders how this woman was acting to generate such a response.

Also, SCH to Malin Bridge is only at most a 40minute walk (certainly in the other direction (uphill) but admittedly it might be longer with pushchairs etc). She'd have saved time and £1.40 by walking it! And it's pleasant in this weather.

If I was taking my poorly child on the tram, I'd make sure I took enough money with me to pay for the fares. I think it makes her look bad more than Supertram.

This is the Star's lead story today? They're definitely losing it.

Would be interesting to hear the conductor's story. I've always found them be very helpful and friendly. One wonders how this woman was acting to generate such a response.

Also, SCH to Malin Bridge is only at most a 40minute walk (certainly in the other direction (uphill) but admittedly it might be longer with pushchairs etc). She'd have saved time and £1.40 by walking it! And it's pleasant in this weather.

My experience today tells my not all conductors are as you say.

Some are unhelpful, lazy and shirk their responsibilities.

Of course im not saying this one was like that and i agreee with what you say about the Star losing it. What a total non story.

I just went to Tesco to buy some Special Brew. I was 13p short so she made me put it back.

How mean and thoughtless. :suspect:

What, and your fellow shoppers didn't whip up 13p for you?? Disgrace, what is this country coming too....

(p.s have you informed the star)