Rubbish in Endcliffe Park!!!

I walked through Endcliffe Park 8pm tonight and was shocked to see it covered in literally hundreds beer cans and bottles like the morning after Glastonbury...it looked really pathetic. I know the bins were full but i am alone in thinking there is a case for folk taking some kind of responsibilty for their waste disposal. So who cleans that up now?

I walked through Endcliffe Park 8pm tonight and was shocked to see it covered in literally hundreds beer cans and bottles like the morning after Glastonbury...it looked really pathetic. I know the bins were full but i am alone in thinking there is a case for folk taking some kind of responsibilty for their waste disposal. So who cleans that up now?

That'll be the council funded by the good people of Sheffield.

I drove past there Saturday at around 10pm and it was the same, look thourghly appauling, it didn't look much better yesterday at 4pm either.

I know on nice sunny days like we had over the weekend it does get busy and the bins do fill up but I'm afraid I find the state it was in completely unacceptable, not only is it an eye sore but hazardous to the local wild life as well.

Though many will act responsibly use the bins or and sort it themselves and take their rubbish away with them (if the bins are full) there are clearly too many that have no such common sense of civic pride and responsibility.

Will any of them come on here and defend their position of leaving their cr*p for someone else to pick up? I doubt it somehow but they will know who they are.

In other parts of this country and, certainly, in other countries leaving litter is broadly (but not universally) beyond the pale. How, in this country, did we get to a situation where littering is somehow OK 'cos somebody from the council will be along in a day or two to clear it up?

Parenting?

Lack of pride?

Lack of care?

Lack of standards - rules are to be broken.

Lack of enforcement.

Basic lack of individual responsibility taken across a much wider context than just litter.

Lack of faciloities - just how many bins are there and how big are they? How often are the bins emptied?

Yeah, but you don't look 'cool' carting away your empty beer cans after your heavy session of 'revision' in the park, do you?

;)

I don't want to label students as the guilty party, but it only takes a minority to act like this before all students get labelled as doing the same. Personally we always take our rubbish away. Even if the bins are full there are other bins on the way home.

Well I'm a student and was absolutely appalled by the state of Crookes Valley park yesterday when a family left leaving carrier bags, beer cans everywhere- its so lazy and such disregard for an otherwise pleasant environment for people to spend time in!! Also heard the friend of the family telling their child to shut the f*** up and another guy to the right of me with his baby bouncing her up and down chanting BNP. We felt very uncomfortable and went to weston park instead. The sun obviously brings out the worst people!

I don't want to label students as the guilty party, but it only takes a minority to act like this before all students get labelled as doing the same. Personally we always take our rubbish away. Even if the bins are full there are other bins on the way home.

I think you'll know exactly the 'type' who do it - too busy being 'one of the lads' to be arsed taking their trash away with them :rolleyes:

I'm one of these people who even pick up other people's trash - God knows why, I got some funny looks last summer when I spent ten minutes chasing round and collecting the remains of someone's picnic that they'd dumped on some grass in Whitby.

This is one of the reasons I hate hot weather, it brings out all the no marks :(

We went to encliffe park and the problem we had was

1) there were no bins in the middle of the park

2) carrying the rubbish, could have caused us to injure our backs.

3) we managed to put the rubbish into plastic bags, and we wanted our dog to put the plastic bag in his mouth and carry the rusbbish for us.

4) the dog refused (our dog was the one with the baseball cap on and sheff utd shirt on) - typical sheff utd fan for you, there all the same :rolleyes:

5) so we left our litter

......I know the bins were full but i am alone in thinking there is a case for folk taking some kind of responsibilty for their waste disposal. So who cleans that up now?

The bins should have been emptied. It's been forcast for some time that the weekend would be very sunny and the council should have procedures for putting extra manpower into ensuring there is somewhere to put rubbish.

People probably think that 'as the council can't be bothered' (to do it's job properly), then why should they lug rubbish for miles- especially given the amount of council tax we're paying (supposedly for services like rubbish bins and also for public toilets- another provision which is woefully inadequate in Sheffield)

It's a disgrace that on a day like that where it's obvious there will be loads of people chilling in the park, that there's nowhere to put rubbish.

We were in Endcliffe Park on Saturday, it was extremely busy. We held on to our rubbish throughout our walk as there was not a bin in sight... we eventually deposited the said rubbish in a bin at the exit to the park. I do think there should be more bins for such a busy park.

There is no excuse for leaving rubbish on the grass... if you were able to carry it there, then you should be able to carry it back!!! :mad:

I was also disappointed at the amount of rubbish left in Endcliffe. I guess it took a few lazy groups leaving rubbish and others followed suit.

The council also had a responsibly with this - they knew the weather was going to be sunny this weekend and the bins have always overflowed in previous years - surely they could organize extra collections/ extra bins to cope.