What can you take on buses?

Was on the 33 bus yesterday and a guy tried to get on with a microwave. The bus driver refused him and said it was against the law for him to get on with it - he didn't offer any explanation other than that and was quite rude. Does anyone know why that is not allowed?

Really?? That sounds ridiculous. Haha, in case he tried to radiate you all to death?

I thought buses were used as a form of transport for those that can't drive, shopping included.

It would be because it wasn't boxed, I was once on a bus when a bloke tried to get on carrying a computer, and was refused. The man got all irked and insisted that he had just collected it after being repaired, but the driver informed him that because there was no box he couldn't prove he hadnt just stolen it.

Bit of a strange rule as I guess the guys story was plausible, but there you go.

On a more general point about public transport, I'm getting a bit annoyed at this pram and buggy thing.

OK, I can see the benefits of providing a space for parents to place their prams. But, it is becoming increasingly common for at least 3 pushchairs to be allowed on the bus at the same time, when there is just not the room.

It seems to be accepted now that pushchairs should be allowed on, no matter what.

When I was younger, I always remember my mum having to fold up my brothers push chair, and carry him onto the bus. The push chair then got put at the front of the bus, in that luggage area.

I'm sick of ringing the bell, then having to pretend I'm on the Krypton Factor, to try and get past all these push chairs at the front of the bus.

I was refused on a bus the other week with a long curtain track by the driver you said you are not getting on here with that, its too long , you might poke someone in the eye. Fair comment, but the next bus(same company) let me on, no problem. Think is up to the driver.

OK, I can see the benefits of providing a space for parents to place their prams. But, it is becoming increasingly common for at least 3 pushchairs to be allowed on the bus at the same time, when there is just not the room.

The problem here is that the bus driver is expected to enforce the ruling about how much space, but he's given no help to do so - and who amongst the remaining passengers would be happy if he stopped the bus for twenty minutes so that a police officer, bus inspector or other official could come and sort it out?

I have carried allsorts on buses.

Ladders, a bicycle etc., to be fair it depends on the driver. I wouldn't normally expect to put a bike on, but I would expect to be able to carry my shopping back from town if it fits on the bus.

On a more general point about public transport, I'm getting a bit annoyed at this pram and buggy thing.

It seems to be accepted now that pushchairs should be allowed on, no matter what.

When I was younger, I always remember my mum having to fold up my brothers push chair, and carry him onto the bus. The push chair then got put at the front of the bus, in that luggage area.

I'm sick of ringing the bell, then having to pretend I'm on the Krypton Factor, to try and get past all these push chairs at the front of the bus.

Im a mother to a toddler who used to be driven mad myself by all the pushchairs that were allowed on. It should be 2 only as anymore than that is a squeeze and to be honest, not safe. I havent used a bus in a long time as we now have a car but there is no way i would let my toddler walk onto the bus as the drivers rarely wait these days until you are seated, obviously safer with a pushchair but not when its like sardines in a tin!

It would be because it wasn't boxed, I was once on a bus when a bloke tried to get on carrying a computer, and was refused. The man got all irked and insisted that he had just collected it after being repaired, but the driver informed him that because there was no box he couldn't prove he hadnt just stolen it.

Bit of a strange rule as I guess the guys story was plausible, but there you go.

That would explain it but surely its not up to bus drivers to be the police. Thieves could easily take a box or large bag with them, put the goods in it and then who would know what they'd got?

I have been on a bus with a microwave, but I was told that they wouldnt let me on the bus with a new telly in case it "exploded" me thinks this might be the same bus driver.

If we follow that rule, ballons can not get on, what about fireworks?

actually, i am liable to explode at times..

I just get on anyway, flash my mobility pass and ask how else am i meant to get there?

dull

The problem here is that the bus driver is expected to enforce the ruling about how much space, but he's given no help to do so - and who amongst the remaining passengers would be happy if he stopped the bus for twenty minutes so that a police officer, bus inspector or other official could come and sort it out?

Why would it take a police officer, bus inspector or other official to sort it out?

It's simple. Once there isn't room, the driver refuses to allow them on.