Pub on Crookes Valley Park! The Dam House

Hi,

Does anyone know if the development on CVP is definately going to be a pub? I've heard rumours and have checked this forum and it seems to be the case.

Does anyone else think this is a bad idea? It will surely have a negative effect on wildlife, scenery and will create more noise.

I think its a bit of a shame to be honest. I'd be interested to know what other people in the forum think.

James

I wondered what they were going to do with this. Depends on the style of pub really - if they do it well, imagine how nice it would be to sit on a summer's evening and have a drink or two in such nice surroundings. Or somewhere decent to go for Sunday lunch in the area. CVP has been woefully neglected for too long, so I'm glad it will see some use for a change. Bring back the rowing boats!

I'm with James on this one, it will, no matter how well designed, make a negative impact on the wildlife in and around the area. If there is to be a pub there, there should be a Planning noitice up somewhere stating what they intend to do and ghiving details of how you can oppose!

I do agree however that Crookes needs a nice pub where one can go for an evening drink and a nice meal!

It is going to be a pub called The Jolly Sailor*. I read about the plans in The Sheffield Telegraph ages ago. I wonder if they've had some cash shortage because work seemed to stop on it for about 8 months IIRC.

I'm looking forward to it. Certainly better than the vandalised building that it was. I don't believe it will have any detrimental affect on the park - quite the opposite actually.

It will also be a good stepping stone between the likes of The Hadfield, Closed Shop, Springvale and Hallamshire close to where I work, and the pubs of Broomhill.

I'll drink to that!

PS *I lied about the pub name.

Got to agree - I good pub - especially if it had family facilities would be a real asset to the area.

I'd certainly like somewhere in walking distance all the family could go for a meal - CVP is the ideal setting round here.

It's going to be a bar/diner place - pretty up market I hear - apparently Carlton Palmer is one of the owners.

First time I've seen the words up-market and Carlton Palmer in the same sentence!

Does anyone know what this is going to be? Walked past earlier and it looks nearly finished but I've been unable to find out what sort of pub/restaurant it is going to be.

Hopefully not a Wetherspoons :-(

I live on Harcourt rd which backs onto the park.

The pub is called the Dam House, its a bar / resturant and is opening soon. Its taking xmas bookings and stuff though.

Not sure what date it opens yet though.

I saw an advert for the Damhouse in a magazine the other day advertising their party menus and the Christmas lunch. I'm sure it said it opened at 5pm on 18th October, but I've thrown it away now, so can't check.

Does anyone know a phone number for this place or anyone connected with it??

I'm interested in job opportunities there and want to get in touch with them ASAP! Can't seem to find anything at present.

Thank you

We went for food here last Wednesday night and it was very good., between £13 and £17 a main but well worth it. I had the fillet steak in madeira sauce and it just melted. Thought the starters were a bit expensive at £5 to £7 pounds each. There is not a lot of choice maybe 6 starters and 8 mains (poss only 1 veggie) but it was all very good.

Will be lovely in the summer to sit outside, tho is a bit dodgy for getting to atm as lighting to get to it is not good.

Hopefully being a bit more expensive will keep out the students :hihi: we'll see.

Oh yes Xmas day dinner menu is £55. Looked good, especially the vodka cured salmon with horse radish? creme friache. Would love to try that.