G8 Summit - The politics of it all and our right to protest thread

MOD: Two threads on G8 already exist on here. There's no conspiracy - people just need to use the search facility before they start new threads :)

Originally posted by lalaland

I don't think everyone is disrespecting the Police. There are a couple here that may feel slightly hostile towards them, but most of us are open minded and can see that the Police did a good job here.

There were some incidents with questions raised, but I am sure that if offences were commited, by either side, that they will be dealt with correctly.

yeah, i didn't mean to imply everyone involved is in the "down with pigs" brigade.. my comment was just directed towards the lefties who were making insulting comments based on the fact that they are scared our boys in blue may one day come knocking on their door to steal their little chunks of resin and kick them out of their squats.. then they may have to actually contribute something to society! god forbid..

Dirtybobby,

Have you considered the possibility that the lads with scarves on their faces had them there because they presupposed a disproportionate police response?

And as for inconveniencing the general public, the very same anarchists who were later corralled up a side street by the police had engaged in a sit-down protest on the road, and moved courteously aside to let past a civilian car.

And it's not a case of a couple of policemen acting aggressively (or more so than is to be expected) - it's the fact of the size of the police presence. It's no exaggeration to say that they outnumbered us concerned citizens by at least two to one. On the whole, the people I was with (on Dev Green) were college and university students and a few career political campaigners - we were up against lines and lines of riot police, at least two video cameras, about 5 or 6 mounted police, and the surrounding streets were chocka with police vans.

I've not got much respect for men and women who willingly subordinate their moral perspective to the orders of unnacountable superiors, but one bobby I spoke to had it right when he said "you're complaining to the wrong copper, mate, there's a detective inspector or two back there who you want a word with".

Apart from the boys-with-toys reaction of the police who just wanted to use our peaceful presence as an excuse to march around in armour shouting big-man things like "hold the line!", I'm more than a little concerned about the mentality of the men giving the order to swamp division street with pigs in response to the mischevious and essentially harmless actions of a samba band and some dissenting citizens.

Edward

Originally posted by Edward

Dirtybobby,

Have you considered the possibility that the lads with scarves on their faces had them there because they presupposed a disproportionate police response?

er, i think that was exactly the point i was making.. they knew there would be a load of police there; why would they want to cover their faces unless they thought their actions were going to be viewed dimly by the police??

And as for inconveniencing the general public, the very same anarchists who were later corralled up a side street by the police had engaged in a sit-down protest on the road, and moved courteously aside to let past a civilian car.

how very kind of them.. i know several people who were not so lucky.. would have been much kinder of them to not be there in the first place..

incidentally, for anyone wondering i am not affiliated with the babylon at all, the "bobby" in my username pertains to my real life first name!

Regardless of personal motives, surely the "hardcore" element at any demo, of whatever political leaning, serves as a focussing device in an oddly democratic way:

Hold a magnifying glass up in sunlight, you'll start a fire. Not enough light and you won't.

The general mood of the people determines whether there's enough light to start a fire, not the magnifying glass.

Originally posted by panda79

if you have nothing to hide why should you have any reason to object to been filmed ?

Because the police use filming as a means of intimidating protestors, masking up is a simple means of resisting their intimidation.

And contary to what some may believe some of us do have jobs and not being spotted by your boss on the news can have it's advantages.

Also Roy James colleagues take photo’s from Indymedia and repost them on Red watch, with teenage girls names and details urging violent attacks. So it’s not just the police people are understandably hiding their identity from.

Originally posted by Jerry

the "hardcore" element at any demo, of whatever political leaning, serves as a focussing device in an oddly democratic wayB]

On the mask issue again the police send in snatch squads (as they did on Thursday night) to arrest the most ‘influential’ or hardcore protestors. If everyone is wearing similar clothes with their faces covered this limits the effectiveness of snatching people.

Originally posted by Disco_Cat

Because the police use filming as a means of intimidating protestors, masking up is a simple means of resisting their intimidation.

And contary to what some may believe some of us do have jobs and not being spotted by your boss on the news can have it's advantages.

Also Roy James colleagues take photo’s from Indymedia and repost them on Red watch, with teenage girls names and details urging violent attacks. So it’s not just the police people are understandably hiding their identity from.

dont left wing sites do the same, im sure they do

I'm more than a little concerned about the mentality of the men giving the order to swamp division street with pigs in response

To (pre) judge someone by the clothing they wear, their appearance, the way others who look like them behave... isnt this the definition of racism

You are an ignorant biggot i do believe. You judge people simply by the way they look, or what job they do ?

What kind of immature, inexperienced person are you. Im guessing you are quite young ? a student perhaps ? are your family rich ? perhaps you dont like poor people either, or people who dont have a degree. Would they also be victims of your ill-judged perceptions.

Do you feel the same way about Asian people ? how about Black, Chinese, Gypsies... do you judge these people the same way. I doubt it somehow, but then again why should you ? its much more of a laugh to do it to Police Officers.

I have a Police Officer friend who was in those lines last night. When she eventualy got home to her children, one of whom is disabled, they asked her how her day was. She didnt tell them about being kicked, spat on, called everything from pig, scum, black c**t, filth etc etc, or how she was accused of helping starving children die in Africa.

Her Dad was a miner for 40 years and died of emphasima as a result. He always wanted her to do better than he did. Every day up to now she felt as though she did.

She isnt a facist, racist, or right wing BNP member, she joined the Police because she wanted to help people, and contribute something to the city where she lives.

Last nights events DONT wash away like water off a ducks back, neither does the green spit from out of her hair.

You will need her help before she EVER needs yours.

Well done people.

Originally posted by morris1

To (pre) judge someone by the clothing they wear, their appearance, the way others who look like them behave... isnt this the definition of racism........Do you feel the same way about Asian people ? how about Black, Chinese, Gypsies... do you judge these people the same way. I doubt it somehow, but then again why should you ? its much more of a laugh to do it to Police Officers.

I know Edward, and therefore can honestly say that this a completely laughable thing to accuse him of!

Then why does he do it?

Does he call asians pakis?

Black people **** etc etc?

oh come on people. A protest isnt a protest without a few cracks over the head and a good kicking in the nick...;)

yes the police are bloody idoits without a trace of common sense or how to control a crowd but lets not altogether crucify them. there were elements (obviously winos or hooligans) causing a bit of bother. if that happens innocent bystanders always end up getting a wack.

i love the police. At a Barnsley game where they fomed a police wall and said I couldn't get to the other side of the ground I just psujed past them and they let me go. same yesterday. great policing that:loopy:

I do wonder about the intellegence 9in common sense terms) of a lot of them.