G8 Summit - The politics of it all and our right to protest thread

Originally posted by commie pig

aaah, I probably saw you there then then actually! They were just practising I think.

Yesterday (or day before now rather) they were generally more sensible - until they decided to arrest thatlad for no reason at all. Coincidentally that was just as one of the lead cops had given us permissoin to walk down Arundel Gate as long as it was walking and calmly. You'd think it was planned or something.

I know the guy who was arrested - used to be one of my childhood friends, son of one of my mum's friends/coworkers, ex-boyfriend of a mate....general all round nice lad, but he dresses punk (mohican, leathers etc) which is what makes me think the police picked on him. He;s only the same age as me. THe policeman involved clubbed him in the face.

Which section of the protesters were spitting at officials/police ?

Saw the police helicopter hovering over city centre all day and groups of police doing nothing around Fargate.

Haven't heard about any demos - did anything happen?

Missed BBC bout can't always rely on them anyway because their regional resources are meagre.

Originally posted by noseyrosie

He;s only the same age as me. THe policeman involved clubbed him in the face.

about time too....bloody soap dodgers

Originally posted by Cranberry

Saw the police helicopter hovering over city centre all day and groups of police doing nothing around Fargate.

Haven't heard about any demos - did anything happen?

Missed BBC bout can't always rely on them anyway because their regional resources are meagre.

try finding anything on the news about it. If sheffield council had hoped for some recognition for Sheffield - they will be a little disappointed at the virtual news blackout......

the guy is one of my best mates that got arrested , he is punk as noseyrosie said , but he did nothing wrong,and luckily we have police brutality on camera and are taking the officials involved to court, after he was repeatedly cracked over the head with a baton , kneed in the groin and pushed head first into a wall,then finaly cuffed and charged with a section 5 public order offence and resisting arrest....piggy ******s

should have seen yesterday,about 50 protestors including the samba band where trapped inbetween west street and division street on the road the frog and parrot is on by at least 4-1 riot police,vans,dogs and horses,noone was allowed in or out..we sat there with linked arms for 1 and a half hours while police stole our banners and tried arresting a few people,before they finaly let us continue the march.

we anarchists dont give people a bad name!were trying to do the same as you!but we get abit more emotional about it.

btw kirky,i hope you get clubbed in the face while your mates watch,see how it feels,YOU ****IN PRICK

I was there, but on the opposite side of the wall of filth to THCAyle. I asked a policeman (who didn't have his number visible, but very kindly told me it anyway) what security threat was posed by the hundred odd concerned citizens and drummers, and he said that as some of them (I counted about 10 or 12 out of the lot) had scarves up over their mouths, it was *clear* that they were there with the sole intention of causing a disturbance.

Then we all got pushed back from the Frog and Parrot to Dev Green, and some admirable fellows got some chants going. I heard that the police used horses to sortie into the crowd trapped up by the F&P, and they certainly had some riot police sortieing into us lot on the Green to rough up one or two people. I noticed that the riot police wear particularly baggy trousers - ostensibly to hide their erections while they're beating up youths.

The police presence was excessive and intimidating, and totally disproportionate to the "security risks" posed by our spontaneous protest. We're not nutboxes out for a fight after a football match, we're here to put forward certain political demands as responsible and justifiably indignant citizens.

And Kirky, before you start again with the soap-dodgers thing, one of the women beaten to the ground by riot police (nearly 60 years old) outside the F&P is a professor of history. What's your degree in?

Edward

Originally posted by kirky

about time too....bloody soap dodgers

Kirky, you appear to be judging these people based on your own biggot views.

I am not a protestor and have nothing to do with them, but I don't consider them all to be 'soap dodgers' or anything else other than other people wishing to express their views and beliefs.

You appear to jump in every now and then on this thread with your comments against these people. Do you really hate them for their difference to you?

You seemed to be pleased that someone was hurt?

People with these sorts of views are dangerous, you are one step away from a racist, judging people on their views isn't too different to judging them on their colour.

Learn to accept others and that there are many others in the world with different lives to your own.

If you have a problem with some of the protestors then point it out intelligently instead of a blanket insult to all of them. Show some intelligence and take part in this discussion properly please?

i was one of the ones at the front with a bandana on,we werent out to cause trouble...well,not lots of it,we just didnt like being filmed all the time.

we all bloody nearly got trampled down the near the F+P by police horses,and when someone got hit the police had a go at them for running into their horse!?!

Originally posted by THCAyle

i was one of the ones at the front with a bandana on,we werent out to cause trouble...well,not lots of it,we just didnt like being filmed all the time.

we all bloody nearly got trampled down the near the F+P by police horses,and when someone got hit the police had a go at them for running into their horse!?!

if you have nothing to hide why should you have any reason to object to been filmed ?

Its funny...Ive been on demos when protesters have started filming the police...they HATE it...what have they got to hide?

Film footage and photographs can paint a very different picture than what actually goes on and to believe this medium wouldnt be used against somebody in an unfiar manner is niave.

Originally posted by cgksheff

The views from the traffic cameras on the Council Website are not functioning at the moment (maybe for the last couple of days).

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/travel-information/traffic-cameras/camera-list

Does anyone know if this is purely coincidental?

Originally posted by lalaland

I noticed this this morning and was going to post, but then I also realised that some are working still. It also appears that some of them that are out of action are no where near the G8 stuff, so I think it's unrelated. [/QUOte]

Now have a reply from the Council and it is confirmed that the cameras were made unavailable for "security reasons".

Dear ..........

Thank you for your e-mail, which has been passed to me for reply.

You are probably aware Sheffield is hosting the UK Presidency G8 Justice and Home Affairs Ministerial meeting this week (15th-17th June). As part of the arrangements to host the event some of the traffic cameras are not available for website viewing, all the cameras should be available for website viewing from 18:00 on 17th June.

I hope that I have answered the points you have raised and that you find this information useful.

Yours sincerely

Principal Engineer - Traffic Information and Control