G8 Summit - The politics of it all and our right to protest thread

Originally posted by commie pig

that was one of the most stupid evenings out I've had in a long time.

Those coppers must have been mind-numbingly bored and in need fo something to do. No other reason for pushing people off the streets and trapping them down side streets.

The number of horses and riot cops was unbelievable!

Wonder how much money they wasted on that load of old nonsense?

It's a monumental waste of time and money, but it does serve to stoke public fears ahead of the introduction of compulsary ID cards. There's a clear agenda being played out and I expect to see similar measures in future protests under the guise of "security".

Originally posted by commie pig

that was one of the most stupid evenings out I've had in a long time.

Those coppers must have been mind-numbingly bored and in need fo something to do. No other reason for pushing people off the streets and trapping them down side streets.

The number of horses and riot cops was unbelievable!

Wonder how much money they wasted on that load of old nonsense?

It was worse yesterday. TOday I was shouted at by the police, pushed physically down Division Street, my friend was threatened when she asked him about his views on the G8, several hundred protestors were penned in on the road between DIvision St and West St off the corner where the Frog and Parrot is - including several young children who were terrified, one man was beaten to the ground by several policemen.........how dare they.

What time was that Rosie? I stood out on the stairs for a bit and it looked pretty calm. I stayed there til the march started then wandered back inside... it sounded noisy out on the green again at about 11, but that was it. I didn't realise things were quite that heated out there.

Their has been one excellent decision made by the police this week. And that has been to totally join forces with the SWP and give them a little pen to themselves were they can happily get their faces on the early evening news, sell a few papers maybe even con a few 14 year olds into joining SWSS. Apparently someone has a picture from Wednesday night of Alan leaning alongside the police on their side of the barrier, letting them know who they should let in to the protests and who they shouldn’t. Hope that one doesn’t crop up at Marxism 2005, can’t imagine it going down to well with the comrades.

Long may this excellent example of cop-operation between revolutionaries and state forces continue, I’ve not been asked to buy a paper all week.

Originally posted by Disco_Cat

Their has been one excellent decision made by the police this week. And that has been to totally join forces with the SWP and give them a little pen to themselves were they can happily get their faces on the early evening news, sell a few papers maybe even con a few 14 year olds into joining SWSS. Apparently someone has a picture from Wednesday night of Alan leaning alongside the police on their side of the barrier, letting them know who they should let in to the protests and who they shouldn’t. Hope that one doesn’t crop up at Marxism 2005, can’t imagine it going down to well with the comrades.

Long may this excellent example of cop-operation between revolutionaries and state forces continue, I’ve not been asked to buy a paper all week.

****ing Alan. ******** to him then. Anyone want to know why I don't like him? He totally tried to hijack the Youth Against the War movement in 2003 - came along to our meetings, tried to get all the kids to join the SWP. Argh.

I'll just say that the non-SWP organisers - Suzy etc, were not doing this - fraternising with the police in such a way anyway.

Originally posted by noseyrosie

I'll just say that the non-SWP organisers - Suzy etc,

Sorry to shatter your illusions, but give that name a quick google.

Sorry to shatter your illusions, but give that name a quick google.

Haha yes just thought about it and she's in RESPECT and SWP etc. Anyways, despite her party leanings, I was talking to her earlier and she's just as ****** off with the way the police have been acting as the rest of us.

What I can't stand is the way that the anarchist brigade have to jump on every bandwagon and give everyone else a bad name. Bloody annoying.

What I can't stand is the way that the anarchist brigade have to jump on every bandwagon

What bandwagon have the anarchists jumped on? Do you mean the anti G8 protests which where pretty much begun in Seattle 99 by errrrr anarchists.

It was worse yesterday. TOday I was shouted at by the police, pushed physically down Division Street, my friend was threatened when she asked him about his views on the G8, several hundred protestors were penned in on the road between DIvision St and West St off the corner where the Frog and Parrot is - including several young children who were terrified, one man was beaten to the ground by several policemen.........how dare they.

aaah, I probably saw you there then then actually! They were just practising I think.

Yesterday (or day before now rather) they were generally more sensible - until they decided to arrest thatlad for no reason at all. Coincidentally that was just as one of the lead cops had given us permissoin to walk down Arundel Gate as long as it was walking and calmly. You'd think it was planned or something.

I'll just say that the non-SWP organisers - Suzy etc, were not doing this - fraternising with the police in such a way anyway.

Interesting use of the word "fraternising". As in with the enemy?

What bandwagon have the anarchists jumped on? Do you mean the anti G8 protests which where pretty much begun in Seattle 99 by errrrr anarchists.

and a very large number of trades unionists and green protesters too. not to mention trots.

Yes I agree but the point is they have been at the heart of the movement from the very beginning.

If you must accuse anyone of hijacking the anti-G8 protests Rosie, do some research into the SWP’s role in sGlobalise Resistance, you may find this a good place to start.

Be warned however it is written by anarchists:

http://www.schnews.org.uk/monopresist/monopoliseresistance/

This is also relevant but for some reason very meesed up, might just be my PC however:

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/02/285233.html