Advice about a stairlift please

I've got to look into getting a stairlift for my mother - does anyone have any advice or recommendations?Also be interested in the sort of price people have paid.

Hi, I dont know your situation but I cam across this product recently, it might be that it is not for you but it is really innovative as an alternative

http://www.stairsteady.net/

Depending on your mum's age, and any benefits she may receive try Stayput 275 5216.

They will assess your mums' house and see if she can get one for nothing thru' them.

I am at the moment trying to get my mum a stairlift thru' them, they also put up handrails, grab rails, raised seating and other stuff, worth a try.

good luck

I've got to look into getting a stairlift for my mother - does anyone have any advice or recommendations?Also be interested in the sort of price people have paid.

Hi, please check you inbox

Depending on your mum's age, and any benefits she may receive try Stayput 275 5216.

They will assess your mums' house and see if she can get one for nothing thru' them.

I am at the moment trying to get my mum a stairlift thru' them, they also put up handrails, grab rails, raised seating and other stuff, worth a try.

good luck

hi there, if you have no luck for your mum please feel free to contact me via pm as I am sure I could help.

I have the Acorn stair lift, it is made in England. The seat rotates to make it easy to alight when it reaches the top of the stairs. I love it.

Cynthia. Canada.

I have a vertical lift (the one that goes straight up through the floor). I'm having this taken out, have been told I will get about 2k for it, however, I'm only asking for 1k - to cover the cost of having it taken out. The company taking it out for me have told me they were reinstall it somewhere for approximately 2.5k. PM me if interested.

Apparently it cost approximately 9k for the lift and installation, almost 5 years ago.

I have a vertical lift (the one that goes straight up through the floor). I'm having this taken out, have been told I will get about 2k for it, however, I'm only asking for 1k - to cover the cost of having it taken out. The company taking it out for me have told me they were reinstall it somewhere for approximately 2.5k. PM me if interested.

Apparently it cost approximately 9k for the lift and installation, almost 5 years ago.

1k for a straight removal is quite expensive to be honest, my usual charge for removing the type of lift you have is only £600 pm me if you would like to discuss it further.

I have the Acorn stair lift, it is made in England. The seat rotates to make it easy to alight when it reaches the top of the stairs. I love it.

Cynthia. Canada.

well known brand and very nice units aswell, they have recently bought a long standing company called Bison Bede

Twoflags seems a good person for advice. He might also recommend which make of lift can be easily and cheaply (relatively speaking) be serviced and repaired. A friend had a stairlift that was made in USA (or Canada), a beautiful unit, but the electronics control panel reputed to cost £1000 alone! In addition, no one could be found who was familiar with the make and model.

Twoflags seems a good person for advice. He might also recommend which make of lift can be easily and cheaply (relatively speaking) be serviced and repaired. A friend had a stairlift that was made in USA (or Canada), a beautiful unit, but the electronics control panel reputed to cost £1000 alone! In addition, no one could be found who was familiar with the make and model.

Let me guess the make....

ACCESS INDUSTRIES model being either Euroglide (a straight track) or a Stairglide (a curved track) both units had three different type of control boards and two different types of motor, one being AC and the other a soft start DC.

I have worked on literally 100's of these and they are in my opinion the worst product ever to hit the market.

Mild steel track and a steel roller, meaning excessive track wear which can eventually lead to the chair driving off the track. Control boards blow for no apparant reason on them. Many many motor issues aswell. The list goes on, the reason they were so popular is the fact that for the likes of a decent lift that would cost maybe £3k - £5k (assuming it is a curved stair case) they would supply and fit for £1500 - £2500, but the unit would last 5 years at the most.

As said before if anyone including the op wants advice or indeed work carrying out please do contact me and I'll do my best to help.

The best bit of advice I can offer without going into any detail is beware when purchasing from certain companies, whilst they may promise the earth you usually tend to find that once your lift is out of warranty they will want to tie you into a "service package" costing in some cases £500 a year, in which they will service the lift (once, twice if lucky) and any labour charges for breakdowns are covered (labour being the cheap part).

Most stairlifts rarely breakdown and usually when they do it is a simple case of resetting a switch or safety device which takes no time at all to do and can usually be done by the user, so effectivly what you are paying is £500 a year for one maybe two services as labour charges would rarely if ever come to more than £400.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Twoflags

Twoflags -I think it was, seemed to go under several different names or ownership (German?) It was a neat I section track which made a very tight curve on the bend. The winder key was very slow so I made another one for an electric drill! I've deleted my info on it as the owner (a friend) is now deceased. Someone left the fold up section of track at the bottom out of lock and caused the chair to lock up when it rode onto it, I wound the chair back up but the "roller sensor unit" that tracks beneath the seat seemed to have been upset.

Edited by carosio