The Big Wheel on Fargate

it will be just something else to avoid while trying to avoid all the charity collectors, big issue sellers, canvassers, 3ft high chrome poles, seating, litters bins and all manner of unnessassary "street furniture"

As someone with not the best eyesight in the world, it can be a real nightmare to traverse Fargate at times.

if you were looking for an attraction that would get people talking about Sheffield, coming to Sheffield and caring about Sheffield

Some sort of national museum. A PROPER one, not the tiny, hi-concept/low-appeal Popular Music place.

Bradford has the photography museum, Leeds the Armories, both of which draw in visitors from other areas.

Going to need about 700,000 paying customers to pay for itself then?!!!

Well it's been in York and Stoke already, and will doubtless go to other cities after Sheffield, so over its working life, that 700,000 figure seems a pretty reasonable target (the £4.6 million figure refers to initial manufacturing costs, not the cost of setting it up in Sheffield).

Just out of interest, and I'm sure it's been answered a thousand times already, but I'm not wading through 14 pages..

How long is it there for?

till january

Ta. :)

Plenty of time to pop down there then.

Just out of interest, and I'm sure it's been answered a thousand times already, but I'm not wading through 14 pages..

How long is it there for?

til Jan 2010.

Video ride:

til Jan 2010.

Video ride:

You're a right whizz on youtube tonight you. :hihi:

ta.

The big wheel should be apart of sheffield and not be moved. I think it should be more towards the moore end tho.

At Evolution: I don't think you'll see anything from the top, I don't think it will pull tourists into Sheffield, and I probably won't be going on it, but that's my opinion: it doesn't make me a nasty little bitch, thank you.

Just think of all the trade it will bring to town!!

Oh - hang on a bit there's nowhere to park!

Erm... have you not noticed the two massive new multi-story car parks built in the last year?

I bet going on it when the sun is going down would be nice.

Slightly off topic, can anyone get the Sheffield planning website search thingy to work? All I'm trying to find is full planning permission applications in central ward from Jan 09 to current date. It keeps saying no results found, I find that very hard to believe!

The big wheel should be apart of sheffield and not be moved. I think it should be more towards the moore end tho.

Me too.

I think the ideal location would be Tudor Square although it does look great against the skyline from various angles.

Why do people have to be so negative? If you dont want to go on it....simple-just dont! But stop whinging about it! Its not hurting anyone! I myself cant wait to go on it. I went on in Manchester and it was amazing! But i imagine even more interesting in your own city!