The Big Wheel on Fargate

I have to say, I agree with you Corker. Alright the novelty of it being there is quite cool but really, whats the point in it? Its taking up an enormous amount of space for the continental marker (which IMO is a million times better than that wheel) and theres nothing to see anyway. If it only takes 4 minutes to do one circle then you're not going to have much time at the top to look around, by the time you get your bearings and pick something out then you'll be on your way back towards the ground!!

I have to say, I agree with you Corker. Alright the novelty of it being there is quite cool but really, whats the point in it? Its taking up an enormous amount of space for the continental marker (which IMO is a million times better than that wheel) and theres nothing to see anyway. If it only takes 4 minutes to do one circle then you're not going to have much time at the top to look around, by the time you get your bearings and pick something out then you'll be on your way back towards the ground!!

I think id have to take sea sickness tablets.:rolleyes:

There isnt even any shops to look at or people the place is just about non existent.

I can't in all honesty believe the downright ignorance that people can't understand the cynics point about this wheel.

At least sort our city centre out first, it just seem's back to front ideas from the council to me, soRry if you don't like my opinion but i was born in the Northern General and am Sheffield born and bred and am more than entitled an opinion on our once top City thankyou very much.

So presumably you understand other peoples' points of view? Or is your opinion somehow more important because you were born in Sheffield?

There isnt even any shops to look at or people the place is just about non existent.

I can't in all honesty believe the downright ignorance that people can't understand the cynics point about this wheel.

At least sort our city centre out first, it just seem's back to front ideas from the council to me, soRry if you don't like my opinion but i was born in the Northern General and am Sheffield born and bred and am more than entitled an opinion on our once top City thankyou very much.

I was born at the Royal London Hospital - Whitechapel... but I don't see why it's relevant.

the wheel is far better than a market

No chance. The continental market is superb.

well don't go on it then!

it's not exactly an eyesore, and while Fargate is now a bit cramped it's still easy to avoid if you're not heading to the shops... however for many people it'd be a great opportunity to see over the city.

It is an eyesore, and you can't see much apart from the roof of W H Smith's and Vulcan on the top of the Town Hall. At £6.50a go?

A fool and his money are soon parted!:loopy:

No chance. The continental market is superb.

and I don't see why it can't occupy the rest of Fargate and Barkers Pool.

It is an eyesore, and you can't see much apart from the roof of W H Smith's and Vulcan on the top of the Town Hall. At £6.50a go?

A fool and his money are soon parted!:loopy:

have you been up it yet? I'd hazard a guess you can see a bit further than Smiths and the Town Hall.

I was cycling along Penistone Rd this morning, as i was just passing owlerton stadium i could clearly see the top half of the wheel. So im going to take a guess and say you will be able to see a little bit more that the roofs of the shops on fargate.

I believe that there is going to be a taped commentary which you can switch on or off so hopefully that'll tell you what things are .

I've been up to the top floor in Howden house and found it quite interesting just seeing the city centre from a different viewpoint.

I can't say that i am a big fan of this wheel, but why all the arguing, if you want to go on it, then go on it, if you don't want to then don't, simple as that! The problem i have is that the council seem to think that the wheel will attract visitors to the city like the one at York, but York is a different kind of place for tourism and such, what does Sheffield have to offer other than the wheel? (that is meant as a feedback question, not a derogatory remark on Sheffield, answers please). Must admit, i much prefer the continental market.