The Big Wheel on Fargate

Ahh, so you do get to go around more than once, that's not quite so bad then.

I saw an item on Look North about the wheel the other day and Paul Scrivens was going on about how it's not cost Sheffield folk a penny to erect it. However, it would appear they are drawing their money back through extorionate fees...

I know it makes good business sense to do it that way but when I finally saw it for the first time last night, I just can't believe what a complete waste of space it is in Sheffield. Like someone else has said, the views from the city centre aren't exactly sparkling, there is far better views to be seen from elsewhere in the city. Plus, unlike London and say Manchester, Sheffield has no particularly interesting distinguishing momuments or buildings, so up you go and are faced with Meadowhall and a load of ****ty looking 70s deco buildings - oh sorry, that's the new Moor car park they built last year!!

Of all the city's that needed a wheel, I really do think Sheffield could have managed without. The only saving grace is it actually takes up relatively little space on Fargate!

I agree. The biggest selling point of the other wheels is that you can see famous landmarks, attractions or scenery.

As Sheffield can be viewed from above from any of the hills I can imagine many people coming off disappointed.

I agree with the fact that the wheel is far to expesive for the time, the views and the whole experience. But think of the people who work on it. My dad had been trying to get a job for months on end and had no luck, as did many people. This wheel has given him and others a job for at least 6 months. Now i think that is worth it.

does anyone know how much it is to go on it?

Free if you turn up naked or in a uniform. Otherwise $9.99

The commentary on it is interesting:

lokk there's a steelworks. look to your left and see a steelworks. there's a tower block. Look ahead for a disused steelworks. a steel works is on the right.......

seen it today very impressive

but you are easily impressed. You think a midget dressed as Elvis doing a tap dance in Roxy's is impressive.

but you are easily impressed. You think a midget dressed as Elvis doing a tap dance in Roxy's is impressive.

I was impressed - I met the managing director of "Date a Nice Polish Girl" up there - charming bloke by the name of Stanislaw. Seems he's short of customers!

Took a day out in Sheffield with my OH and little 'un last week around Sheffield, I used to work in the centre a couple of years ago and it's really changed! Much of it for the better. It's actually beginning to look like an up and coming city now, though I still think there are way too many tall buildings being built that are trying to look too 'cutting edge'!

Also went on the wheel and really enjoyed it, £6.50 isn't too bad - could be worse. I found the commentary amusing and you still get a good view from up there. Unfortunately that does also include a lot of grey old rooftops and fire escapes!! I'd say it's definitely something you have to do at least once though...

What annoyed me was the ridiculously priced photo's afterwards, £10 for a set. I'm certainly not paying rip off prices for that. What I'd like to know is how they dispose of the unwanted pic's though, and surely it's a big environmental issue to be producing these pictures before even knowing if they are wanted! What a waste of paper...