The Big Wheel on Fargate

You get to see some office workers eating their lunch in Yorkshire House - so its not all rubbish!

Just think of all the trade it will bring to town!!

Oh - hang on a bit there's nowhere to park!

And when they find somewhere to park and paid for that and the ride how much extra do you think they will spend on other things? I've also noticed that the que was mostly made up of grandparents with kids, no doubt that why the opening coincided with the kids school holidays.

Cynical me will wait to find out how much extra this has increased business as its only just opened and I think the attraction will be short lived.

The City Hall, Town Hall, Millenium Sq, Peace Gardens, Leopold Sq, the many Victorian buildings, the Cathedral and the surrounding countryside!

Try taking your blinkers off.

I wouldn't call them tourist attractions and they aren't exactly interesting to look at. It's different in London where there is the big ben and other stuff but this wheel sucks. And I don't think you can see the countryside from this little wheel.

why are people bothering to comment when all they are doing is moaning?? ok we get the general idea that 90% of sheffielders hate the wheel and indeed anything new that comes to our city, but please you guys are going round in circles. its here for 6 months, its going nowhere, deal with it for goodness sakes!

I think it is a very good idea, but in the wrong place. What the heck can you see from that postioning?

I think it is a very good idea, but in the wrong place. What the heck can you see from that postioning?

think you'd be suprised how much you can see, where else could it have been located for a better view?

. . . but please you guys are going round in circles. . . .

I think it's the people on the wheel who are going round in circles.

:hihi:

fair do's lol

Well I'm probably one whom you would suggest as being negative on here but it's not being negative just for the hell of it.

There are times when improvements are made to this city to which I think 'well done, that's thoroughly improved the area.' A couple of examples which spring to mind are the Winter Gardens and Millennium Square (or as I prefer to call it, The Peace Gardens).

But, and this is the big but, just as things begin to look truly positive, the council goes and junks the whole project by way of doing something totally and utterly wrong. Some argue that the hotel should never have been built so close to Winter Gardens and that light has been reduced drastically by building the hotel there.

The worse case is the ugly office block which is Number 1 St. Paul's, an horrendous 60s throwback which undoes all the good work in creating Millennium Square. And then to top that, literally, the so out-of-character high apartments block (City Living?) which IMO this city does not need.

What I like about this city is that in most cases it does not try to be something it isn't, does not try to be 'another' Leeds or 'another' Manchester. But paradoxically, that mentality can hold the city back but on balance I think it's the right approach.

But take a look at the city centre in general and it's clearly lacking. The Moor is like an open sewer and Fargate is nothing more than a parade of mobile phone shops. Parking is a blatant rip-off which screams "It's free at Meadowhall" and the road system smacks of a council at odds with the motorist (and the revenue he brings to the city centre).

So we get a Big Wheel where we've been promised something of more interest (where the Goodwin Fountain used to be). Wow.

So yes, I'll contine to whinge but when they do get it right, I'm big enough to applaud their efforts.

winge winge winge

For a second, I thought 'I don't remember writing this' :hihi:

You can't get these views anywhere else in Sheffield.....unless you're in the Hallamshire hosptal or the Arts Tower.

I wouldn't call them tourist attractions and they aren't exactly interesting to look at. It's different in London where there is the big ben and other stuff but this wheel sucks. And I don't think you can see the countryside from this little wheel.

I never said they were tourist attractions but your post suggested all your can see is crap - which is blatantly untrue.

I would hardly call Big Ben a tourist attraction though really. How interesting - a tall clock! :huh: