[SOLD] Newspapers! are they worth buying?

Originally posted by "Sidla"

I thought that was a good storyline, but I don't like the thing about Nick moving to Australia. He's bound to move back and start managing the club again soon though, now that his football carrer has been ruined.

BTW, I can't believe we're having a conversaition about a newspaper cartoon strip! :lol:

:) Well, the storyline started off okay but seemed to drag on and on. I got tired of it.

Of Course Newspapers Are Worth Buying!

I Find It Offensive That You Could You Ask Such A Question!:mad:

They Are A Daily Source Of News,Education And Fun (Oh,And Yes,The Horoscopes) That No Home Should Be Without.In Fact Every Home Should Have At Least 3 Different Newspaper A Day To Get A Balanced Opinion Of World Events.

If Not For Yourselves,Think Of Your Kids.I'm Sure You'd Want Them To Get Off To A Good Start In Life,And Teaching Them To Read Newspapers On A Regular Basis Can Only Be A Good Thing.

Also,By The Purchasing Of Newspapers You're Doing Your Bit For The Local Economy.In Return For Keeping Me In Business-(Oh,Did I Forget To Mention,I'm A Newsagent),I Can Afford To Go Out,Keeping The Local Landlords In Business.It's Just The Way Of The World.:hihi::thumbsup:

Have you considered the online editions of certain papers? You could also look at online English editions of foreign newspapers.

(Pause while I go and find one...)

I buy the Guardian but only for G2, crossword, media and education sections. All my other news I get online because I find it more accessible. If I find a story particularly interesting or affecting my life, I will tend to read the Guardian's slant on it.

Long bus journeys are now bearable thanks to the Metro, which, while it may not be the most accurate or gripping paper, they have some of the weirdest stories and only a little celebrity gossip, making it easy reading fodder that doesn't offend me.

Wilf

just bought one today 'cos i had an ppointment at the hospital. complete waste of money - although my rabiit will have a fine time on it.

i do try to read selective papers at certain fast food outlets, but the though of spending 4-5 quid a week reqularly upsets my Yorkshire mentality.

If the Sheffield Star was replaced by a local good evening news program I don't think I would by any. Stopped buying morning papers when beckam was born and he married old spice.

Originally posted by Andy

The only newspaper that's worth its cover price is the Metro.

I like Metro, you get the basic facts, in a short article, with no waffle and over elaboration by someone trying to win a creative writing award.

I find the best way to use newspapers is to buy a wide variety. Obviously you can't read them all every day, but at least if you chop and change on a regular basis you get to digest lots of different view points on lots of different topics.

And like it or not - the British press is one of the pillars of our society. Just imagine the wrong-doings, political scandals ect. ect. that would go unnoticed without journalists to uncover them.

And even the trashier tabloids occasionally come up with good scoops, or mount campaigns on behalf of the public - like the anti-Iraq war campaign (not that it did much good).

I don't think you'll find a news gathering organisation in the world that's totally unbiased. I noticed the Beeb was called neutral in an earlier post, but I would have to disagree. The BBC has a very ridgid agenda in my opinion.

The best thing to do is absorb as much news as you can, from as many sources as possible - for a well-balanced view of the world.

I only buy the Times for the Crossword and G2. the big part gets given away...

I read alot of news online, i get the sheffield star everyday for the local news/sports, I buy the Mail on sunday and thats it. I like to read the papers...

I used to buy a paper most days I went past a newsagent (Indy during the week, Guardian on a Saturday for the guide when we used to have decent arts stuff coming to sheffield :) The red tops just fill me with disgust) These days it's pretty rare, I tend to just browse the news online... Doesn't have so many in-depth articles, but keeps me up to date with the world nice and quickly. And scanning the General Chitchat forum will also bring up anything new straight away! ;)

To be honest the internet makes printed media seem very expensive. I'm not saying it will totally replace it, but when you think that an entry-level broadband subscription costs less than buying a decent paper every day, I know which I'd choose of the two... (and the cynic in me thinks the internet has also destroyed my attention span which is needed for reading a paper!)

One thing I do like about papers recently is the move to having grown-up papers in tabloid format. Of all the places I'd read a newspaper, I'd very rarely have the room to spread out a broadsheet properly.