Alternatives to "expensive" electrician

I have a a couple of 3 way light switches that need fitting, i cant work it out. I might need to get an electrician out to look at it, but cant bring myself to pay £100+ for switches - are there any alternatives?

If it's not a direct swap over, then no

Is it three lights that are required? If you knew the wiring connections could you do it yourself? (will involve laying new wiring) There's an excellent description on http://www.homeimprovementweb.com.

I'm reasonably sure that these days such work has to be certified,- i.e. undertaken by a qualified electrician.

If you don't know what you are doing, get an electrician in.

It's not worth the risk of something not being done properly, or worse, wrongly. Electrical faults are a major cause of house fires, and you could also end up seriously injuring yourself or somebody else.

I'm reasonably sure that these days such work has to be certified,- i.e. undertaken by a qualified electrician.

Not changing light switches, installing them maybe, but not swapping.

As for "expensive", I resent that remark. Most people think anything over a fiver an hour is expensive.

What you seem to have done there is assumed it's easy, then said you can't do it, so it is a skill and you have to pay for it. However, £100 is a bit steep for changing 2 light switches. You'll probably find it's cheaper to get someone booked in in advance rather than frantically rigning round after you've already knackered the wiring and created more work for someone to undo what you've done before simply swapping switches.

I have a a couple of 3 way light switches that need fitting, i cant work it out. I might need to get an electrician out to look at it, but cant bring myself to pay £100+ for switches - are there any alternatives?

The alternative is you pay a muppet/unqualified person and risk your home burning down and endangering the lives of all your family.

Edited by dan2802
spelling!!!

A qualified sparkie should do the work and provide a test certificate. Peace of mind and not invalidating your property insurance makes £100 look like a bargain TBH

playing devils advocate here.

i wonder how many of the people saying dont attempt it. are employed as sparkies?

One alternative to an expensive electrician is a cheap plumber who can simply run lengths of 15mm copper pipe between the switches and then connect it to the mains (water mains obviously)...

Edit : HIc!

playing devils advocate here.

i wonder how many of the people saying dont attempt it. are employed as sparkies?

The people employed (or are self employed) as sparkies will have had many jobs where trying to save a couple of quid has turned out to be false economy. I have no problem with people doing DIY, but if you have to come on here first and ask random members of the public what the best thing to do is now you're confused about it then I would recommend you get someone in (preferably in advance of you dismantling the place). If you are competent enough to just swap the switches with no drama, and can do it correctly and safely, then crack on.