Stocksbridge Development-Retail not Regeneration

From the bumpf online it looks to be a substantial development, quite a few units to fill there so they must be trying to find something to put in them.

Maybe they could bulldoze the centre of Stocksbridge and move all the shops across, that main shopping area is proper minging!!

The new development will kill the existing shops in my opinion. Half of them on the main road has been empty for ages as it is. A friend enquired about one of the empty units on the main road and the rent was almost £9k per year , thats before business rates. Absolutely crazy , its no wonder so many units are empty up there.

oh dear, hopefully it's torn down sooner rather than later, would be a decent location to slap some flats or something in??

Maybe just a little park - but that'd probably require the council to buy the building and redevelop the area, can't see that happening.

oh dear, hopefully it's torn down sooner rather than later, would be a decent location to slap some flats or something in??

Maybe just a little park - but that'd probably require the council to buy the building and redevelop the area, can't see that happening.

I agree, id pull down that entire row of buildings and sell off for residential . I just cannot see how Stocksbridge can support the existing shops and the new shiny development . There simply inst the footfall locally. The new development will attract people travelling there by car as the parking in the centre of Stocksbridge at the existing shops is a joke.

I know the chemist`s and opticians have already signed up to relocate to the new development. There are going to be a lot of empty retail units in the town centre once Fox Valley opens next spring.

I agree, id pull down that entire row of buildings and sell off for residential . I just cannot see how Stocksbridge can support the existing shops and the new shiny development . There simply inst the footfall locally. The new development will attract people travelling there by car as the parking in the centre of Stocksbridge at the existing shops is a joke.

I know the chemist`s and opticians have already signed up to relocate to the new development. There are going to be a lot of empty retail units in the town centre once Fox Valley opens next spring.

Even the GP's surgery is moving down there so that will be another empty building...maybe they'll just bulldoze that to increase the size of the car park round the back?

Although...I live within walking distance of Bengal Spice so that can stay :D

Even the GP's surgery is moving down there so that will be another empty building...maybe they'll just bulldoze that to increase the size of the car park round the back?

Although...I live within walking distance of Bengal Spice so that can stay :D

I wondered what on earth's going to happen to the old doctors etc :confused:

I wonder how Lidl and the coop will cope with the new Aldi being there!

Not sure I'll shop there mind, I hate having my shopping thrown at me, I prefer the Lidl which is just that bit more relaxed.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 13:00 ----------

From the bumpf online it looks to be a substantial development, quite a few units to fill there so they must be trying to find something to put in them.

Maybe they could bulldoze the centre of Stocksbridge and move all the shops across, that main shopping area is proper minging!!

Agreed! That row of 60's type buildings is horrendous, it'd be great to relocate all those shops to the new development and get rid of that

Just seen this bit in the news:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/order-to-force-land-sale-for-42m-sheffield-project-set-to-be-agreed-1-7359997

Council chiefs are next week set to agree an order to force the sale of land required for a major £42m redevelopment scheme.

Tesco withdrew its plans for a supermarket at Fox Valley, Stocksbridge, in January.

A report to Sheffield Council’s cabinet says Tesco has not come forward with alternative plans and it was likely it would hoard off the land and ‘keep it vacant’. Despite negotiations, terms to sell the land terms have not been agreed and officers believe there is ‘no alternative’ but to seek a compulsory purchase order. Developer Dransfield Properties has come up with an alternative scheme for the unit involving Aldi.

The report said a compulsory purchase order needed to be secured in a ‘ a timely manner to start construction and deliver the supermarket to Aldi.”

I wasn't aware Tesco owned that piece of land, considering the contempt they have shown many communities around the country it's pretty poor form they would try and hoard that piece of land and stand in the way of further development.

Not sure I'll shop there mind, I hate having my shopping thrown at me, I prefer the Lidl which is just that bit more relaxed.

I stopped shopping in Lidl after they there my shopping at me, are you telling me Aldi are worse?

Getting to like Sainsburys so not sure I'll be tempted by either.

The railway line is only a single line track right up to the steelworks ,and it always have flatbed trucks loaded with steel parked on there waiting for the evening steel train to take them over to Rotherham, so as it stands the line wouldnt be any good for public use.

Well if required can the steel works manage their carrages better?

Obviously they don't have to now, the line ends at their yard IIRC and no-one else uses it so there's no worries.

but if the line was changed to be public use as well would the yard be able to organise themselves?

Isn't there also issues with the line not quite going in the right direction to meet all the little villages along the valley properly?

The railway line that runs from exchange sidings at Deepcar onto the steelworks is not available for use by public transport. It belongs to the Stocksbridge Railway Company (a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata steel) it is not and never has been part of the national rail network. Any suggestion that the steelworks is in someway hampering "reopening" the line to public use is simply wrong, it was never open to public transport.

And now it's open, what are your thoughts? I've seen it being built and drive past it most days, I think it fits in great and will be a valued development in the valley.

I'll be popping down later after work, but passing impressions are good.

from the website it looks like a decent number of shops.

Have they built a statue of Fantastic Mr Fox there?

On the wall roughly here there is something on the wall about him.

Yes, there is a huge fox in the middle of the roundabout entering the development, he's holding an umbrella pointing too the retail park. There are also many other art works around the area including a huge mural by Pete Mckee - http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-sheffield-artist-pete-mckee-completes-biggest-ever-mural-1-7942095 And some more pictures here - http://www.foxvalleysheffield.co.uk/gallery

It was destined to have a Tesco but they pulled out, and there are still more shops to come, Sports direct have Fox Valley listed as a new store so they may also be opening.

In my opinion the Wadsley Sainsburys would have done better at Fox Valley, than it's current location.

Edited by Bonjon