Railway line at Parkwood Springs

Thank you everyone for that resume especially the web site, it was most interesting, didn't know there was such info. available.

Used that route during 53/54 changing engines at Penistone and was at Neepsend 57/58, anyone know what is there inplace of the box ,concrete slab? The sidings were controlled from Neepsend, but can't remember any engine shed, the only buildings near the sidings were the Brick Works.

Last time I was over the stocksbridge side of wharncliffe forrest we crossed the line at a crossing,I think it was just before the bridge that goes over the road into deepcar from the bypass,Im not too familier with the names but near the top of "stn ln" ?

JJ..:)

The Woodhead Tunnel was used by electric trains only and never used by Steam Locos.

The Woodhead Tunnel was used by electric trains only and never used by Steam Locos.
diesel freight trains were also used through woodhead tunnel

diesel freight trains were also used through woodhead tunnel
My mistake.

My mistake.

tis ok mate, my uncles regularly drove freight trains along that route until it closed down & uptil me dad got made redundant in 91 he drove the shunters on this line working from the deepcar end & the last of me uncles who retired last month was still taking freight up to stocksbridge

Thank you everyone for that resume especially the web site, it was most interesting, didn't know there was such info. available.

Used that route during 53/54 changing engines at Penistone and was at Neepsend 57/58, anyone know what is there inplace of the box ,concrete slab? The sidings were controlled from Neepsend, but can't remember any engine shed, the only buildings near the sidings were the Brick Works.

Remnants of the Engine Shed to the side of the car in this pic,

Douglas Road.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/pick110/100_0022.jpg

there were also some sidings on this line on the left hand side just past wadsley bridge towards stocksbridge

In order to clafify the situation :

The "new" woodhead tunnel built for the electricfication was for electric locos only - not sure if diesels went through it ,STEAM WAS BANNED - even flyings scotsman was towed through , the reason for this is that no air chafts were fitted when the tunnel was built as they werent needed

The old tunnel(s) had steam locos through them and were built as such

you can actually walk through one of the old Tunnels on this line in Thurgoland as its now part of the trans pennine trail, a highly reccomemded thing to do

I've been through that tunnel on the path at Thurgoland...

Yes, the 'old railway' at Woodsprings is the last remainder of the famous Woodhead Line, which was upgraded with a new tunnel and electrification in 1948, and sadly closed in the 1980's.

The other end or the Woodhead Line between Manchester and Glossop is still electrified and STILL in use for the Manchester to Hadfield and Glossop commuter train service!