My dog just got a little bird and now it can't fly!

I think you'd be best in calling the PDSA emergency number and then taking the poor little thing into the PDSA hospital/VetsNow building on Newhall Road.

I've taken in loads of injured wild animals, mostly birds which have been half eaten by one of the local cats, into the PDSA and they have always euthenased them without charging me. I'm the sort of person who gets called with lots of animal injuries because I'm pretty good at animal first aid and I think that my neighbours think I'll be able to save a bird with a puncture wound to its chest cavity, but the poor thing is under so much stress just being handled that it's kinder to put it out of its misery instead.

Have you got the emergancy number? We just tried ringing a number on the site but there was no answer, and our vet is closed, and we rang a bird sanctuary and that said it's been closed down!

The bird is tweeting away and sounds happy now! It's like tweet tweet tweeeeeeeeeeeet tweety tweety twoot twooooooo.

Awh I don't want it to get put to sleep, it sounds happy!

The bird is tweeting away and sounds happy now! It's like tweet tweet tweeeeeeeeeeeet tweety tweety twoot twooooooo.

Awh I don't want it to get put to sleep, it sounds happy!

Sorry but it won't be happy its calling for its Mother, I know its all horrible but best and kindest to let it go if its lost a leg, did you try vets now?

We took it out! :( We rang my husbands parents again and his mum said 'haven't you seen a one legged pigeon' and then his dad said we should just take it out.

And my husband was too, so I couldn't really argue! :(

But we took it outside still in the box, and put it on top of the wheelie bin, so if it could fly it would, and if it couldn't it'd be safe.

So we put it there and took the cook book off(I don't think he read it though!) and he flew off! He didn't fly very well, but he flew a little onto the other bin, and then onto next doors fence and then into the tree.

Anyway I went and saw if I could see him from the window, and saw him fly out the tree onto the ground in next doors garden, but then he just stayed there!

AND THEN!!

Then a crow came and sat near him, can't crows eat little birds? So then I had to make a loud noise to scare that away!

Then I went back to the garden, and stood near the fence and pointed him out to my husband, and then as we were wondering what to do as he seemed to be stuck, he got up and flew away!

Must have just been attention seeking, lol.

So I think he's okay which is good! :)

It was sad when he went at first though, and when I couldn't see him out the window! :(

Hopefully he'll be fine though, he could fly okay so hopefully he'll be able to survive. :)

And like I said he was tweeting away so he can't have been depressed or anything? He sounded quite jolly! :D

I hope I haven't done a really bad thing by doing that?

But everyone was ganging up on me saying we had to let it go!

And how do birds survive in the wild anyway, I mean, some of them must lose legs? Although I haven't seen a one legged pigeon but I guess they must exist.

Eek I hope it is the right thing. :(

For future reference, unless it has changed recently the PDSA emergency number is 2427308.

I hope your little bird has survived the ordeal Mandie- it's not likely that you'll know either way though.

My aunt's cat once fetched the same mouse in 4 times, despite being shut upstairs every time my uncle took it outside and down the garden to release it. The last time was terminal unfortunately, but the poor little sod had been played with for hours by then.

I hope I haven't done a really bad thing by doing that?

But everyone was ganging up on me saying we had to let it go!

And how do birds survive in the wild anyway, I mean, some of them must lose legs? Although I haven't seen a one legged pigeon but I guess they must exist.

Eek I hope it is the right thing. :(

I think that you did all that you could Mandi, all wild things take their chance and especially little birds as they fledge, nature is cruel, now it's up to the little bird.

The fact that it was tweeting means that it has recovered a bit from the shock so you helped it as best you could, the vet would have probably PTS so it at least has a chance :)