My dog just got a little bird and now it can't fly!

What can we do? Is there anywhere we can take it where they wont kill it?

She was in the bathroom and I could see she had something but I thought it was just a spider or something, then it started flying, so coz I'm a scaredy cat I screamed, and then I think she thought she had to protect me, so she got the bird in her mouth, and then I screamed again coz I was scared that she was going to kill it, so then I think that made her not let go of it. We managed to get her to leave it finally.

Now it's huffing and puffing lots and can't fly. :(

Does anywhere know of anywhere we can take it?

I want to keep it but my husband said I'm stupid, lol! But I've been reading things online about people taking birds to the RSCPA and them putting them down! :(

Oh yeah, I think it's a baby as well.

We had one a few weeks ago too, under the bath, so not sure if there's nest there or something. Bit scary really, that you could be in the bath and have a bird wizz out!

I hope someone can help! :(

Also arn't westies bred to kill small animals? So maybe that's a reason too for why she went for it, or maybe I just have a killer dog, eek. :(

:help::huh:

The bird is probably shocked and it most likely couldn't fly properly before, that will be how your dog managed to catch it, is it visibly injured?

If you listen you will probably hear the mother bird calling and looking for the baby outside, now you have 2 choices really, if the baby does not appear injured you could put it outside perhaps on a shed roof or something out of the way and let its mother take care of it, or you could take it to a vet that will either hand rear and release, or if badly injured will probably put it to sleep.

I wouldn't personally try to rear it myself I only tried once because the vets was closed and it died, you might have better luck, sorry that I can't say anything more positive, and I know well how upsetting it is as my cats bring them home a lot.

I think that most dogs would probably have a go at a fledgling bird to some degree, it doesn't mean that she is a bad dog, just a normal animal.

Good luck with the little birdy :)

I don't know if it is injured, but I can't see how it wouldn't be, coz Kizzy had it in her mouth at least twice! She was in the bathroom for ages and we didn't know what she was doing so she could have had it before we caught her too.

But we haven't been able to look at it as we don't want to scare it and give it a heart attack or something!

We don't want to try and put it outside incase it is hurt, coz there's lots of cats in the area and there's two that are always in our garden winding Kizzy up!

We just looked at it again, it seems to have a broken leg

My husband said the bird has no leg!

We just looked at it again, it seems to have a broken leg

Oh dear vet then? they might be able to sort a broken leg with a splint, I would put the little bird into a small, dark and quiet place such as a box (this will minimise shock), pad it out with something soft such as kitchen roll to minimise any damage caused by fluttering, and take it to the vet.

Is there a bird sanctuary type place in Sheffield?

My husbands dad said the vet would put it down and charge us for it, eek.

As much as we want to help it, I don't want to have to pay a huge pet fee. I hope that doesn't sound nasty!

It's in a box with a big heavy cook book on top, so at least it can learn how to cook. :)

It's got holes in it though, it's a holey storage box type thing, as I thought it might need breathig holes?

So it's not very dark.

I'll try and find another box to put that box into!

I gave it some chopped nuts and some bread and it's not touched it. :(

My husband said the bird has no leg!

Oh poor thing, I don't think that much can be done in that case, take it to the vet asap cause it must be suffering now. :sad:

The vet won't charge you for it they have to treat wild animals, I know for sure as I have taken loads.

Ooh that's good to know then! :)

Awwh I don't want it to get put down if it is untreatable. :(

I want to keep it even for just a day so it can have an awesome life before he/she goes off to heaven, haha! But I know that's silly of me!

Don't know if it is legless, but we can't see one, eek! :(

Is there a vet that will be open now?

Does it have to be one we're registered to?

We're in Owlthorpe area. :)

Is there a vet that will be open now?

Does it have to be one we're registered to?

We're in Owlthorpe area. :)

Not sure but peak vets at woodseats seem to be open a lot, give them a ring, or you could take it to vets now at the PDSA building.