Car service, was mine a rip-off?

Depends on what oil is put in, IIRC Fords tend to use Magnatec (castrol) and it's usually about £18-22 per 4 litres depending on where you get it as it's semi-synthetic and quality stuff.

Mine uses 0w-/30/40 fully synthetic and this can cost 55 quid per 4 liters so oil prices vary, if it was a Ford main dealer then they'll be using the good stuff anyway but why would you bring a car just for an oil change to a main dealer? I did mine myself and got 8 liters of mobil 1 0w-40 (probably the best oil on the market) from Costco for 44 quid!!

Saved quids, it's not a hard job to do, asuming you are fit enough to undertake this type of job.

Wilkinson, Hillsboro - 5 litres semi-synthetic diesel oil 15/40w about £8. OK for older cars, probably made by large lubricant manufacturer.

Nothing to do with services, but I bought my current car from Lookers - never EVER will I deal with them again.

The salesperson seemed to think that I was there at their beck and call, and when I couldn't pick my new car up on the day that suited them, got really shirty with me.

Its all about sales figures - nice as pie whilst they're trying to get you to sign on the dotted line - once you've signed, the attitude changes.

I was appalled at some of the things they said to me on the phone - the fact I worked certain hours and couldn't suit the salespersons 'handover' times was all my fault apparently....

Love Ford cars, hate Lookers - will NEVER use them again.

It is very important that your engine has the correct 5w30 oil.

Oils are all very different and it makes a big difference to how long they last and how much damage is done to your engine. Use the cheap stuff at your peril.

steveh; there's truth in this but it depends on engine type, bearing tolerences etc. A friend who owned a microwave servicing business ran a 1987 Fiesta 1.8 diesel van for 450,000 miles (until the fuel pump had worn) on ordinary diesel oil but at the recommended changes. Only problems with the engine was a cam belt breakage and a starter motor.

Thanks for all the comments. Seems like maybe they charged a bit over the odds but if they were using the genuine high quality oil then not soooo much. Also they arranged to pick my car and drop it off (I live other side of city) so that must be worth £20. I also have had some negative "attitude" from sales staff - but not all bad. Also get the impression that customers are just cows to milk to get their spreadsheets showing good profit margins. Ho humm ... you live and learn