Pregnant Rotherham girls to be paid £40 to quit smoking.

My question is exactly how many girls are there in Rotherham who smoke and happen to be pregnant, I mean for instance is it more than 10.

Oh and exactly what do you mean by girls?????

Well there were around 53000 births in Rotherham last year. As the process takes 9 months that probably indicates that at any one time around 32000 of them are pregnant.

Around 20% of the population over 16 smoke, but if you assume that half the pregnant girls are sensible enough not to, then that still leaves 3200 who are stupid enough to smoke whilst pregnant.

I always assume that girls are the ones without meat and two veg. That rule of thumb has always served me well.;)

Rotherham tends to suffers from Educational Bypass Syndrome, rather like Barnsley and Romford really. It's a well known medical condition there hence the vast numbers of inhabitants claiming ignorance of anything other than the benefit system.

Rumour has it that in 1876, a man from Rotherham learnt to read and write. For his sins, he was cast from society and spent the remainder of his life in the House of Commons.

Hey! Lay off of romford! Some of us come from that neck of the woods!

Well there were around 53000 births in Rotherham last year. As the process takes 9 months that probably indicates that at any one time around 32000 of them are pregnant.

Around 20% of the population over 16 smoke, but if you assume that half the pregnant girls are sensible enough not to, then that still leaves 3200 who are stupid enough to smoke whilst pregnant.

I always assume that girls are the ones without meat and two veg. That rule of thumb has always served me well.;)

32000 so few I am surprised surely thats just in Rawmarsh!:thumbsup:

there may be a slight maths error there... 53000 births last year would indicate around 1 in 2 people in Rotherham were pregnant in 2008. Including the men. Take out the men and 100% of women in Rotherham were pregnant last year (approximately)

I mean I know its Rotherham, but thats stretching it surely?

Its time people took responsibility for their own actions, being pregnant means you are looking after 2 people it is your responsibility to care for the well being of the baby. It is not our responsibility to give you money as an incentive to stop smoking, being pregnant should be enough of an incentive to stop smoking.
You're right in everything you say, but wrong in thinking that the £40 is for the benefit of the dumbass mothers. If you had the power to veto this scheme, and did so, could you then look the unfortunate, innocent children born to smoking mums in the eye and tell them that their health (for the rest of their lives, don't forget) is not worth £40?

This idea is not about rewarding the mums, that's just a policy tool to try to drive better behaviour, it's about trying to protect unborn kids from their parents stupidity.

I'd imagine £40 would help any expectant mother out. More so one who failed to quit smoking than one who quit.

The smoking while pregnant is actually a career plan for their unborn child. The lower birthweight of the carcinogen riddled chavvy means that although smaller than his peers, he is able to access your restrictive bathroom window and let in his mates to burgle the house.

I despair.. why do we have to bribe people to do what they should already be doing.. soon we'll have to pay people to do anything requiring any effort.

Faulty people should be recycled. They'd make good compost.

I wonder if this initiative should be rolled out to cover binge drinking mothers, drug takers, or even those who are addicted to junk food?

The level of cynnicism of posters in this forum never ceases to amaze me, but then, the cynnics are right nine times out of ten.

It would make sense to pay the girls (or boys) an additional £40 per week to do something positive.

For example, if a youngster is trying to get a small business off the ground if there is money floating around, then direct it towards kids trying to start out in business. The returns would be far greater should their business take off.

Or alternativly, invest this "excess money" into real education.