Dummies guide to xbox360 (or PS3)

Hi

I'm contemplating buying an Xbox 360 or possibly a PS3. i've followed the threads on which is better but it seems pretty 50/50 with the main distinction being that PS3 has the Blue Ray.

Anyhow, can someone tell me what advantage the 'Elite' xbox console has over a standard one? i know it has a bigger hard drive but what does that mean in terms of an enhanced gaming experience. Also i have a HDMI TV, does this mean that the games can be played in HD quaility? as standard? or do i need to buy further cables etc?

As always, thanks in advance for any advice. If you want to pitch in with your preference for PS3 or Xbox360 then that would be welcome too!

You will need a HDMI cable to fully appreciate the HD quality of any game. Not many games go up to 1080p yet but most are around 720p which is perfect for "portable size" tv's.

Dont be conned neither the HDMI cables are apparently all the same.

You will need a HDMI cable to fully appreciate the HD quality of any game. Not many games go up to 1080p yet but most are around 720p which is perfect for "portable size" tv's.

Dont be conned neither the HDMI cables are apparently all the same.

i have a 48' tv if that makes any difference..

thanks for the tip on the cables - invaluable as they do seem to range a lot in price

I got an Elite 360. Big(ger) disc is good to have if you plan on having a live (online) account, then you can download game demos. Loads of extra space for music, videos etc.

I forget if you have to have the paid for online account to get game demos or not. IMO the £40 a year is value for the enjoyment I've had playing online (cue xbox haters complaining at having to pay, don't think PS3 owners do).

It comes with a HDMI cable if I remember correctly (I don't use HDMI, so I might not be remembering correctly!).

I forget if you have to have the paid for online account to get game demos or not. IMO the £40 a year is value for the enjoyment I've had playing online (cue xbox haters complaining at having to pay, don't think PS3 owners do).

The demos are released a bit earlier to gold account owners, a week or so I think, then they become available to silver accounts too.

PS3 online play is free, but the 360 offers the better online experience in my opinion, so I don't mind paying for a gold account which works out at about 60p a week.

I got an Elite 360. Big(ger) disc is good to have if you plan on having a live (online) account, then you can download game demos. Loads of extra space for music, videos etc.

It comes with a HDMI cable if I remember correctly (I don't use HDMI, so I might not be remembering correctly!).

is the £40 for the year then? that's pretty good if it is...

You can get it cheaper on places such as ebay plus look for package deals with things like the camera, 12 month gold last time i got it online was 34.99.

in case you still aren't swayed by the xbox yet, ive borrowed a ps3 to compare to my xbox elite in the past, ps3 is so slow compared to the xbox for loading games and installing games to the hard drive and the interface seems quite laggy compared to the xbox

Most of the games i play have looonnngg cut scenes and i really couldn't imagine waiting for them to load up on the ps3 lol, the only plus point of the ps3 (which is why my mate actually bought it) is the blueray, turns out is quite a cheap easily updatable blueray player, but as i cant afford a hd tv as yet its not much point for me lol

From my experience the pros for each console are:

PS3:

* Built in wireless (but nothing beats ethernet IMHO)

* Relatively cheap and easy to upgrade Hard drive.

* Blu Ray

* Can use Linux (not perfect, but still quite usable)

* SD card slot (a cheap USB adapter will allow the 360 to do the same)

Xbox 360.

* Cheaper than PS3.

* Windows Media Center connectivity.

* Excellent gaming community.

Maybe in terms of features, the PS3 has a slight edge over the 360, in terms of performance, there's very little difference between the two.

The money you save in getting a 360 will allow you to get a few extra games. :thumbsup:

Edited by Agrajag

You get an HDMI cable in the box with the 360 Elite. I know as I just bought one.

* Built in wireless (but nothing beats ethernet IMHO)

What exactly is the differance between wireless and and ethernet? There both the same. (Apart from the physical wire. duh)

What exactly is the differance between wireless and and ethernet? There both the same. (Apart from the physical wire. duh)

Wired ethernet is much more reliable and has a much higher transfer rate. It's less prone to interference and dropouts, and where the Xbox 360 is concerned, about 80% cheaper. :thumbsup:

You can get it cheaper on places such as ebay plus look for package deals with things like the camera, 12 month gold last time i got it online was 34.99.

£27 quid for 13 months if you shop around a bit.