Memories Of Walkley

It would be intersting/helpful if people would apply dates to the times they're posting about.

My maternal Grandparents were blitzed to 134 Cundy St, opposite and just below the 'Royal Hotel'.

When my Grandparents had both died my own parents were allowed to take on the tennency in 1950.

I left Walkley in 1966 having joined the army (York & Lancaster Regiment) with several ex Burgoyne Rd School pupils already serving.

My father died in 1990 and my mother moved to Dronfield in 1992.

My time there was mainly 60s and 70s but I don't recognise any of the other names mentioned.

I'm sure this is a long shot,but does anyone out there got any School class photos of old Walkley School. I remember in 1976/77 being taken to the girls playing yard having our class photo taken,by the Head Teacher. Who I can't remember his name looked about 80 plus,with the oldest camera ever. I remember my mum saying when we went to meet him, due to moving in too the area, "God is he still alive,he taught me at school,he looked old then." Any Old Walkley school class photos,sure it would stir memorys.

neville Hawke had a greengrocers shop on south rd just about where rare and racy books were.

No longer a shop, but an excellent catering business run by Mrs Hawke

Carol's Catering

It's next to the former post office.

Hugh

I'm sure this is a long shot,but does anyone out there got any School class photos of old Walkley School. Any Old Walkley school class photos,sure it would stir memorys.

I've got a class photo but that was took around 1956. Smith was the headmaster then.

Edit-just realised that it was took in the junior school yard.

It would be intersting/helpful if people would apply dates to the times they're posting about.

My maternal Grandparents were blitzed to 134 Cundy St, opposite and just below the 'Royal Hotel'.

When my Grandparents had both died my own parents were allowed to take on the tennency in 1950.

I left Walkley in 1966 having joined the army (York & Lancaster Regiment) with several ex Burgoyne Rd School pupils already serving.

My father died in 1990 and my mother moved to Dronfield in 1992.

hi were your mum and dad called mr and mrs swift if so we lived next door for 16 years they were a lovely couple they use to give me and my brothers little gifts at christmas

My great grandmother Mary Ann Settle lived at 33 Freedom Road from the early 1900's with husband Tom, moving to No 41 later on. Her neice Nellie Settle then took over the house at No 41 from approx 1940. She lived there until she died in 1974 but her daughter Joan Torry lived there until 1977 with her husband George. What happened to Nos. 21 to 43 Freedom Road? They were demolished for some reason in the 80's? Does anyone know anything about them?

Is it possible you mean *Elizabeth* Ann?...

1861 Census Thomas & Hannah SETTLE Regent St.

1871 Census Thomas & Hannah SETTLE 33 Freedom Road

1881 Census Thomas & Hannah SETTLE 39 Freedom Road

1891 Census Thomas & Hannah SETTLE 41 Freedom Road

1891 Census Tom & Elizabeth A SETTLE King’s Norton (Thomas & Hannah's son)

1901 Census Tom & Elizabeth A SETTLE 41 Freedom Road

(Thomas, widower living with Tom & Elizabeth)

Tom SETTLE engraver, 41 Freedom Rd is listed in a 1919/20 Directory.

Members of this family are buried in grave A288 in Walkley Cemetery.

Hugh

41 Freedom Road

Albert George Settle, labourer.

hi were your mum and dad called mr and mrs swift if so we lived next door for 16 years they were a lovely couple they use to give me and my brothers little gifts at christmas
Yes they were my parents, Dad died in Cundy St around 1990, we moved Mum to be near us in Dronfield around 1992 where she died a few years later.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Yes they were my parents, Dad died in Cundy St around 1990, we moved Mum to be near us in Dronfield around 1992 where she died a few years later.

Thank you for getting in touch.

hi sorry to hear that.your dad took me and my brothers to hospital on more than one occasion things like my tongue hanging off,my brother breaking his arm and my youngest brother scoulding him self like i said a really lovely couple

My Aunty lived at 19 Providence rd, Grandparents lived accross the street further up, Allsop was my Uncle, Coyles were my Grandparents , they lived next to a lady everyone called Little Lilly, she always sat with her front door open watching people come and go, that must have been around the late 40s & 50s, I loved to go shopping on South Road, lovely little butchers shops, my Aunty would walk from one butchers to another trying to save a penny :hihi:

My Grandad would sit for hours on the wall accross from the Library on South road chatting to his old buddies, he always wore the same old flat cap and his black waistcoat was shiney with wear, never took it off long enough to be washed, the waistcoat was so hard it think it could stand up on it's own :hihi:

It's funny as back then no one would think twice about leaving a baby in a pram outside the shops, the prams were too big to take into those small shops so they were all lined up outside.

Edited by poppins

Hello Poppins, was your Grandfather originally from Hillsborough,Rudyard Road?there were quite a few Coyles lived down there.

Hello Poppins, was your Grandfather originally from Hillsborough,Rudyard Road?there were quite a few Coyles lived down there.

That I don't know Nellie.