Memories Of Walkley

I lived on Bates St, then Burgoyne Rd (I think) and eventually down by the famous roundabout. I also remember the Walkley library as a 'destination' and a place to chat. The Bolehills were great as was Rivelin Valley.

Does anybody remember the Robinson family of Bates St. Dad was a copper and also the Scout Leader for a long time. Brian Robinson was in my class. The family sort of adopted me which I really liked.  I would like to thank them.

John Owens

I also remember Dr. Bryson. He would make house calls and stand with his backside to the fire.

On 22/05/2009 at 21:07, Pete R said:

I was born in walkley on Camm St, I lived in Hoole St and Burgoyne Rd, great place, lots of good memories.

I remember the picture house on South Rd & the 'sasparilla' shop near Lentons fruit & veg, sauls grocers and the pikelet shop to name a few.

Walkley palladium wet there a few times.

On 16/03/2018 at 21:46, bacutts said:

I remember Dr Bryson he looked like Gilbert Harding that used to be on television in 1950s

Went to the doctors there on Greenhow Street. There was also Dr Ridgewick and another that when our went in to see him he was also reading and picking out his horses. That was the day before you had appointments and you us to hire how long you had to wait and who was next.

My mom was born in 1947, and lived near the corner or Grammar Street and Creswick Street. She lived in row houses on the same side of the street as the White Horse Pub, on Grammar, next to a "pub-farm-field".  She told me there were occasionally solitary goats and sometimes pigs in that field.  Across the street, toward the gas works was the Victoria Inn. I'm interested in gathering as much as I can about this part of Walkley. I want to get a sense for what it was like in the 1950 and early 60s

I'm totally unfamiliar with the area, Mom moved to Canada in the mid 60s, but I can collect some links to archive photos of her neighbourhood that I've found in a quick search online. As far as I have learned the farm field would have been on the right-hand side of #3. If anyone can help me fill in any gaps, know of any stories, knows of other archives, or has photos of that field behind the White Horse Pub, I'd appreciate it.

1. Grammar Street, Walkley, looking towards No. 19, White Horse Pub
  2. Grammar Street at junction with Creswick Street, 1969-1972, No 19, White Horse Pub, No 22, Victoria Inn
  3. White Horse, No 19, Grammar Street at junction of Creswick Street
  4. Joseph Taylor, Grocer, Nos 87 and 89, Creswick Street, Walkley (corner of Grammar Street)
  5. 1951 Ordinance Survey Map of the area  /  Close up

That young girl you see in the photos later became a girlfriend of mine! I've sent you a PM.

Where was brick fields that was mentioned in this topic?

On 02/05/2022 at 09:58, trevwoff said:

Where was brick fields that was mentioned in this topic?

There was the brick hollow,  previously a brick works near bottom of Normandale rd.

9 hours ago, LovePotion said:

When did the public toilets underneath the library close?

Who cares? when you can come on here to take the P.

Keep safe, happy collation of disused public toilets. 

Perhaps you could write a book on the subject.

Must be a strange conundrum finding a cottage is closed, when all you wanted to do in the first place was come out :huh:.

1 hour ago, LovePotion said:

It is a thread about the history of Walkley, so I'd imagine everyone reading this thread (bar you) cares.

Exactly. History of Walkley  & not   'Disused toilets of Sheffield and its surrounding areas'.

Start a   'New topic'   on  'Disused Toilets'  see how much interest you get.

Keep 🎣 🤡

Edited by Rockers rule
-

1 hour ago, LovePotion said:

This thread works fine for the discussion, but thanks for the suggestion. 🤡

How's that then 🤡 

Out of 47 pages and 561 post's where people have reminisced over family & friends, roads, shops &  characters long gone NO ONE has mentioned 'Public Toilets' as being one of their 'Memories of Walkley' .

There is one mention of the 'out-side' toilet, the type every yard had, but that was back in 2013.

Obviously from your previous post's you have found a niche market in your interest of 'Abandoned Cottages' in and around Sheffield.

Perhaps you could broaden your horizon.

Go on - 'Away you Go'.  :wave:

my grandma lived on channing street house just after the church on the way up loved going to the corner shop at the top of channing street for spice

Why so aggressive Rockers Rule?

If Lucy Lampton can do a TV programme on the subject why shouldn't someone ask a question on the subject?

In kindness

Steve