Memories Of Walkley

Hi folks can anyone here recall Hattersley street lived there went to walkley school

Hi folks can anyone here recall Hattersley street lived there went to walkley school

Yes, both corner shops and Poplar St and Gould St too.

http://walkleyhistory.wordpress.com/events/launch/

Just a reminder that it is the Walkley Ways, Walkley Wars History Project Launch this Friday:

Friday, 30th November 2012, 7:30 – 9:00pm.

Ruskin Hall, Walkley Community Centre, 7a Fir Street, Walkley.

You can see the archive of the Walkley Action Group, set up by local people to save Walkley from the bulldozers. Highlights include the maps showing the phases of demolition, how Walkley would have looked like after tower block redevelopment and of every house in Walkley colour-coded for its condition.

You can visit the Club’s WW1 memorial windows in the snooker club.

We will give a short introduction about the project.

You can sign-up for:

1) Being kept up to date about the project.

2) To volunteer to be an Oral History Interviewer, with training provided.

3) To volunteer to be a Local History Researcher, with training provided.

4) To have your memories of Walkley in the 1960s and 1970s recorded

5) Find out what Fir St was like in 1908 when the Walkley Liberal Reform Club was built.

We will train volunteers in local history and oral history who will participate in much of the exciting research.

A steering group comprising Rick Allen and Nicole Houghton (WCC), Rev Melanie FitzGerald, Hugh Waterhouse and Bill Bevan will oversee the project on behalf of WCC.

We hope the project will lead to the establishment of a Walkley History Society, who will use the Community Centre as its base.

will this be repeated at any point. Really interested but just cannot make this friday

will this be repeated at any point. Really interested but just cannot make this friday

There will be lots of events throughout the 3 years of the project. Use the contact us section on the Walkley History website given at the top of my post to keep informed :)

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 16:14 ----------

http://http://walkleyhistory.wordpress.com/2012/12/01/launch-presentation/

Here's Bill's presentation slides for the launch for those of you who couldn't make it :)

i lived on grammar street until approx 1970.:) we were next door but 1 to the corner shop run by Mr and Mrs Hurst.

went to Walkley School,,used to play on the "brickfields" many a time we used to walk to weston park,,hilsbro park or even rivelin!!!:)

went to either hillsbro or upperthorpe baths.

moved from there to Parson Cross as the houses were demolished for the now Langsett Estate

i lived on grammar street until approx 1970.:) we were next door but 1 to the corner shop run by Mr and Mrs Hurst.

went to Walkley School,,used to play on the "brickfields" many a time we used to walk to weston park,,hilsbro park or even rivelin!!!:)

went to either hillsbro or upperthorpe baths.

moved from there to Parson Cross as the houses were demolished for the now Langsett Estate

Was that the shop on the corner of Hattersley/Grammar St, or the one lower down?

i lived at no 4 exley avenue in lower walkley from 1964 too 1972 until we emigrated too australia...i went too walkley junior and infants....and i remember a shop just down from exley avenue called duckworths and it sold lots of different sweets....and i used too play on primrose hill which was wasteland with a few garages on it...

my in laws had a sweet shop on south road some years ago then moved onto bottom of freedom road where i lived with them for a number of years.they were called walker.loved living in walkley.

my in laws had a sweet shop on south road some years ago then moved onto bottom of freedom road where i lived with them for a number of years.they were called walker.loved living in walkley.

I was friends with a David Walker who used to live in the "round" house (probably octagonal really) on corner of South Road and Carr Road. Was he related to your Walker?

Was that the shop on the corner of Hattersley/Grammar St, or the one lower down?

yes on the corner of hattersley/grammar st