Memories Of Walkley

The beer off at the top of Blake St. in the 40's was run by the Whitehouses.

Walkley street from the bottom of Fulton Road ,hair dressers,mrs Pryor wall paper shop ,sweet shop, wool shop , houses, mrs eyre sweet shop great black currant penny lollies, Colin Ambler butcher , fruit shop Tony& Pat Baines Chinese chippy ,Biltons Bakery have I missed any one off all the shops I remember when I was a kid not forgetting the butchers across on the other side tysons tobacconist , the wonderful paper shop run by The ridge brothers I think they were Norman and Bill mrs baron top of Blake street , mrs day at the bottom oh you have got me going now !!!!

Can anyone remember the shop that used to be on Burgoyne Road ?

Hi I was born in 101 Industry St, Walkley and lived there till I was about 3 years old then moved to 282 Heavygate Rd , Crookes and I went to Bole Hill Rd County School !

My name is Michael Ward anybody know me I am now 68 years old ?

do you know when the garage opened up near top on left.

Anyone remember the LOYS at 111 Daniel Hill Street?

do you know when the garage opened up near top on left.

Pretty sure it was after I left in 1978 and doubt is was before the 1980s. Not sure that helps much.

Pretty sure it was after I left in 1978 and doubt is was before the 1980s. Not sure that helps much.

the garage was there in 70s mark n paul halls dad worked there

The garage was called Towyn car services, it opened in the early 60's by a Mr Hogg I can't remember his first name, but his son was called George who ran it after him. I worked there with George for 2years 1971-3, Mark&Paul are related to me and their dad is Derek and mum Betty who lived next to Betty's mom and dad Tommy and Nellie Crookes. I lived in Hoole St from the age of 4 until I was 20 and could almost fall out of bed into work, I was at St Mary's 1962-66 and then Myers Grove until 1970. I remember Paul & Glynis Mather and although younger Katherine Jennison whose yard used to back onto ours, on the corner of walkley st was Anne Tomlin, across the road Trudy Hodgeson and Pat Tanzer also down Industry St if I remember correctly just below Ian Smith was Larry Billinghay. As for the earlier mention of Paul Rutter his brother Robert was in the same class as me along with Ken Bothamley, Tony Jessop, Peter Shirt, Richard Moore to name a few. My Great Grandparents used to live in the first yard below the Co-op, how many can still remember the old dividend numbers, and the shuttle that used to send money through the air. I have had some great times living in Walkey and still have even more memories of that time.

The garage was called Towyn car services, it opened in the early 60's by a Mr Hogg I can't remember his first name, but his son was called George who ran it after him. I worked there with George for 2years 1971-3, Mark&Paul are related to me and their dad is Derek and mum Betty who lived next to Betty's mom and dad Tommy and Nellie Crookes. I lived in Hoole St from the age of 4 until I was 20 and could almost fall out of bed into work, I was at St Mary's 1962-66 and then Myers Grove until 1970. I remember Paul & Glynis Mather and although younger Katherine Jennison whose yard used to back onto ours, on the corner of walkley st was Anne Tomlin, across the road Trudy Hodgeson and Pat Tanzer also down Industry St if I remember correctly just below Ian Smith was Larry Billinghay. As for the earlier mention of Paul Rutter his brother Robert was in the same class as me along with Ken Bothamley, Tony Jessop, Peter Shirt, Richard Moore to name a few. My Great Grandparents used to live in the first yard below the Co-op, how many can still remember the old dividend numbers, and the shuttle that used to send money through the air. I have had some great times living in Walkey and still have even more memories of that time.

I stand corrected on the dates of the garage. In fact, having read these recent inputs, I am wondering if I do remember passing it before I left. Strange things these memories!

I remember the Co-op - we used to have to quote our number every time we went. I still remember ours to this day. The shuttle thingy was great - I had forgotten them in the Co-op but didn't a shop on South Road have some as well (Hawksworth's?)?

The name Hodgson rings a bell and maybe Trudy but all a bit vague.

I was at St Mary's something like '62 and left in '68 and some of those names resonate. I was friends with Martin Rutter and he had older brothers. They lived a few streets nearer town in a house with a huge garden and opposite (maybe up a bit) the Cryers who had three girls - I went to school with Anthea; she had an older and a younger sister.

We lived next to Ian Smith and I remember Tony Jessop and Peter Shirt. For a time, I went in to school (King Edwards) with Peter who was a year ahead of me. Wasn't there also Steven Proctor?

In my year we had Mark Foulds, David Biggins, Paul Fisher, .... and there were more girls in our year. We must have shared many of the same teachers.

Ah, memories!

Hi TWhits, that makes me a year older than you as I was in the same class as Stephen Proctor, William Kear, Stephen Eddis, Andrew Thomas, Micheal Lonsdale, David Whitaker, David Harrison, David Bradley, Peter and Fay Wardley Dawn Haire who moved down Freedom Rd. I also remember Susan and Anthea Cryer Alison Leigh, Helen Frith, Jane Maxon, Andrea Mowinski, Hilary Turner, Jean Hallam and of course the Maloney's Stephen, Kevin and Neil I know there was more but I cant remember their names. I lived next door to Mark and John Webster, I had some great times growing up around there playing on the Bolehills and Crookes Valley and Weston parks, Rivelin and the Donkey woods area. I have just remembered someone else Robert and Diane Smalley who used to live at the top of Burgoyne Rd, all in all I enjoyed my chidhood in and around Walkley. I drove along South Rd this morning and was visualising the shops that were there and how much it's changed, no fish mongers and yes it was Hawksworths at the top of our street I remember the row of shops at the top of Industry St and the one at the bottom of Highton St being built, do you remember Bobby Knutt living above Johnathons Laundrette and the Take 5 cafe, my god what memories.

Have just realised that it was Helen Tanser who lived next to Trudy Hodgeson.

Edited by jimbo2107

Hi TWhits, that makes me a year older than you as I was in the same class as Stephen Proctor, William Kear, Stephen Eddis, Andrew Thomas, Micheal Lonsdale, David Whitaker, David Harrison, David Bradley, Peter and Fay Wardley Dawn Haire who moved down Freedom Rd. I also remember Susan and Anthea Cryer Alison Leigh, Helen Frith, Jane Maxon, Andrea Mowinski, Hilary Turner, Jean Hallam and of course the Maloney's Stephen, Kevin and Neil I know there was more but I cant remember their names. I lived next door to Mark and John Webster, I had some great times growing up around there playing on the Bolehills and Crookes Valley and Weston parks, Rivelin and the Donkey woods area. I have just remembered someone else Robert and Diane Smalley who used to live at the top of Burgoyne Rd, all in all I enjoyed my chidhood in and around Walkley. I drove along South Rd this morning and was visualising the shops that were there and how much it's changed, no fish mongers and yes it was Hawksworths at the top of our street I remember the row of shops at the top of Industry St and the one at the bottom of Highton St being built, do you remember Bobby Knutt living above Johnathons Laundrette and the Take 5 cafe, my god what memories.

Have just realised that it was Helen Tanser who lived next to Trudy Hodgeson.

I will PM you so that we can be more specific.

I remember many of those you name. Of course, St Mary's often used to merge two year groups or half of one and half of the next. Unfortunately, I don't remember Bobby Knutt living nearby

Loved the Bolehills and Rivelin generally - caught many a tiddler down there. It was always sunny in the school holidays (he types as we have hailstones, thunder, blazing sun, torrential rain - all within minutes of each other)

Can anyone remember the shop that used to be on Burgoyne Road ?

Which shop would that be that you are thinking of, one that stands out to me was just down from Whitehouse La and was a Lapidiary shop with stones and pebbles in the window I think it was called Massey Lapidiary, across the road used to be a newsagents and a chip shop.

Hi I lived on Heavygate Road (299) and went to St Mary's upto 1974 then onto Kind Edwards, left there in1979. I remember going to school with one of the Eyre girls, I think it was Jane also Allyson Frost,Beverley Hanson, Helen Gratton, to name just a few. Also remember the Garner brothers, Michael Dinnigan, Richard Tunstall etc.... I remember as a child in the mid to late sixties, visiting my grandma on Walkley Street (AdaDamms and my uncle and auntie Jean and Jack Damms) and going to the Co-Op on Walkley St with the money going up in the air on a wire! My dad spent his childhood and teenage years on Walkley St and he remembers a shop on every corner - there was no need to go to town. In 1997 I ran the corner shop at the crossroads of Cundy ST and Walkley St(diagonally opposite Royal Hotel) unfortunately this closed down in1999- couldn't compete with NETTO:mad: Anyone remember the "haunted house" on Fir Street??