Memories Of Walkley

hi, yeah the church was at a later date used as a printers, i lived on cundy st back in the early seventies and it was direclict then, like you we used to play in there and nearly came a cropper a few times in there, i do have a photo of it when it was in use back in the 40s .

In the 50/60s South rd was full of prams, mothers had to leave them outside so they could get into the shops, not enough room in the shops for both, my Grandad use to sit on that stone wall opposite the library all day long to see who got off the tram there.

hi, yeah the church was at a later date used as a printers, i lived on cundy st back in the early seventies and it was direclict then, like you we used to play in there and nearly came a cropper a few times in there, i do have a photo of it when it was in use back in the 40s .

Hi Livvysdad

If you have a photo of the church from the 40s can you pm it to me or provide a link?

Just out of interest.

In the 50/60s South rd was full of prams, mothers had to leave them outside so they could get into the shops, not enough room in the shops for both, my Grandad use to sit on that stone wall opposite the library all day long to see who got off the tram there.

Hi Poppins

That wall opposite the library brought back memories! When it was fenced off, just up from the library as it was in the 60's, there was a great chance to climb over at the top end and cut the corner, down on to Parsonage Crescent.

I had just started at De La Salle and caught the 52 Crookes bus home and ran down the hill til I got to the wall. There I climbed over the spiked railings and jumped down the 3ft or so, only to hear a loud terryfying rip. My new school blazer was completely torn down the back! You can guess what my mum said, God rest her soul.

hi, andycott, yeah i do have a photo of the church but i will have to post it for you tonight when i get home as i can't access pictures from this comp, will more than likely pm you.

Sorry to be so late in replying to your question , yes 282 Heavygate Road was near the old Crookes tram terminus , The Lollypop Shop was above our cellar, there were two more houses in our yard going towards the top of Greenhow Street .

regards 1942mick

I used to play with a kid in that yard. dont remember his name. we used to shoot pellet guns in there. he shot a dart into my knee once.

Yes i use to live at 48 Hadfield Street in the 50's. My brother went to St mary's just across the road. We use to get lovely ham off the bone from the shop on the corner. Fish shop just up the road and cinema and library all within walking distance. Loved the house. I recently spent two glorious days walking old haunts with some friend's from childhood. Could move back to Walkley in a flash.

ashley's right but its joanne not Julie and Deborah not David

kids i remember , j reaney , d crookes ,p beatson ,m owen , g binney ,Paul Rutter , Chris Mather , t & c lamb , a holmes , d whitehead , a garner to name but a few. Others were Kenneth Grayson, David Fields, John Webser

I was born at 128 industry street, my late parents lived there all their married lives their name was Nettleship.I went to Burgoyne road school.

I was born at 128 industry street, my late parents lived there all their married lives their name was Nettleship.I went to Burgoyne road school.

I think that I remember you (vaguely) - I was brought up at 85 Industry Street.

I think that I remember you (vaguely) - I was brought up at 85 Industry Street.

i was brought up at 110 industry st 1974

i was brought up at 110 industry st 1974

Three of us on this forum all within 100yds or so! We were next door to the shop but the shop part was closed leaving just the private house with bigger windows than the nearby houses. I lived there 1957-1978.