Memories Of Walkley

My great Grandma was Mary Ambler who lived at Crooks and her daughter Ellen Ambler (my grandma) lived at 135 Walkley Street - where my mother was born. I remember Eric ambler - one of a number of Great Uncle's I had. I spent many happy hours at Walkley and Rivelin. My grandmother lived opposite the cooperative shop.
I lived on Hoole street I went to Burgoyne Road School I knew a Terry Ambler who lived on Duncombe Sreet his dad or brother was called Eric,I believe his dad had a butchers near to their home.

Thank you so much for providing this information. Do you know the names of Mr and Mrs Walkland and what they were like?

Maureen and Kenny continue to live in Sheffield. Johnny, Betty, June and Linda did move to Boston however have all passed away leaving Linda the only one living there now. Maureen is my grandma and just really wanted to know more about her past and what it was like there. Thank you so much

I was in the same class as June at Walkley school, she was quite small and went by the nickname of Fanny.I think here worst moment at school was when we were in Mrs Hightons class (the welsh dragon). One day Mrs Highton got tired of june talking and so called her to the front. She bent her over her knees and then made one of the boys in the class come out and spank junes backside. Can you imagine the uproar today. I beleive the Mrs hghton left a couple of years later due to ill health.

USUK;7315540]Whereabouts was #282 ? Was it close to the Terminus ?

Sorry for being so late with my reply ! Yes it was near the tram terminus at the back of the Lollypop Shop ! Our cellar grate was underneath the shop window !

In the same yard there was a family called GOODISON and another called BLANCHARD !

Used to play in that yard with a kid around my age, cant remember his name but he shot me in the knee with his air pistol once

Sorry for being so late with my reply ! Yes it was near the tram terminus at the back of the Lollypop Shop ! Our cellar grate was underneath the shop window !

In the same yard there was a family called GOODISON and another called BLANCHARD !

Used to play in that yard with a kid around my age, cant remember his name but he shot me in the knee with his air pistol once

There was a lad who lived in the end house in the yard called BILLY SALES and then there was myself MICHAEL WARD & my brother TREVOR WARD , I think that we were the only boys living in that yard at that time ! We left that area in 1955 I think it was ! What is your name ????

Edited by 1942mick
wanted to add something

Just been reading an article published by The Star,and sent in by John Scholey ,following the recent death of a former teacher at St. Mary's Cof E school.

He was Mr E.Dore and I agree with John that he was the best and most encouraging teacher that I ever encountered.Mr Jarman was headmaster and other teachers included Mrs.Smith and Mrs Reynolds,and Mr Forester.I think Mr Taylor had either just retired or moved on to another post.

The Reverend Hubert George was the resident vicar.

I also have a copy of the class photo taken around 1957 and can still name most of those on it.These include Ken Lindsay,Rob Brown(me)Dave Bettles,Glyn Thomas,Malcolm Wright,Tony Hopkins,Rob Hayes,John Marshall,Monica Brookes ,Jacqueline Wilson,Linda Cheetham,Lynn Otter,Susan Wild,Christine Thomas,Susan Young,Susan Bright,Erica Freeman,Sandra Betts,Carol Harrison,Linda Rogers ,Kathryn Walkerdine, etc etc.Others not on the photo,Alan Wadsworth,Valerie Winterbottom.

I still see several out and about and send my regards to others who may read this.

Getting closer - I lived at 85 Industry Street from 1957-1978.

I lived at 28 Industry St. from 1943 to 1963 and now live in Melbourne

Australia

Does anyone remember the hinchliffe or spooners from hadfield terrace I believe they lived at number 14. ?? Just doing a bit of family history and wondered if anyone remember them

Hi Rob - just read your post ref Mr Dore at St Mary’s and it brought back fond memories, especially the time he gave me a lift home on his motorbike up to Crosspool, via Fir St - I didn’t have a helmet on, and clung on for dear life especially at the top of Fir St where it turns onto Crookes. Doesn’t bear thinking about, but my mother wasn’t concerned.

We used to live in Industry St. and had moved just before the end of term, and then I passed the 11+ and went to High Storrs.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Hope you are keeping well, and thanks for the memory.

Monica

Yes it was a good little school that I enjoyed.

High Storrs,which I also attended was a bit of a culture shock as there were more in one year than the total at St Mary’s.

Those were the days when High Storrs boys/girls were two distinctly different schools and never the twain would meet.

Different starting ,finishing and lunch times ,and locked doors in the middle.

Laughable when I think back.

All the best

Yes it was a good little school that I enjoyed.

High Storrs,which I also attended was a bit of a culture shock as there were more in one year than the total at St Mary’s.

Those were the days when High Storrs boys/girls were two distinctly different schools and never the twain would meet.

Different starting ,finishing and lunch times ,and locked doors in the middle.

Laughable when I think back.

All the best

MIBS and RJRB - when were you at St Mary's? I also lived on Industry Street, was at St Mary's from around 1962 to 1968, passed 11+ and went to King Edward's. As you say, a year group was way bigger than the whole of St Mary's school!

I started at High Storrs in 1959,so preceded you by a few years.