Memories Of Walkley

Hi catzmeller, Do I know you ? or should I say do you know me ?

Were you at Bole Hill Rd County School at the same time as me ?

The previous post I put on was a while ago as I am now 71 years old !

Hi Mick , I am Dave Meller ( catz ) is my wife,s name . No I don,t think I know you however I attended Bole Hill County School from around 1953 to 1964 starting work at 15 years old . I,m 65 years old so maybe you would know some of my mates older brothers i.e the Wilsons , Godbeheres . Pickerings .

Hi Dave , as you are 6 years younger than me I have to admit I do not remember you as I left Bole Hill Road school shortly after you started there I think I was about 12 (1954) when we moved away to Pitsmoor ! However I remember the Godbehere's in fact I think I can remember my mom saying that they were very distant relatives but exactly what relation I have NO IDEA as my Mom's maiden name was HALSTEAD she and all of her brothers and sisters were born in 101 Industry Street.Walkley as I was back in 1942 !

But it is nice to hear from some one that has been to the same school and met some of the same school staff members I knew , I always have fond memories of the headmaster Mr Corkhill he was such a nice guy !!!

Hi...i was from Walkley...but not now....who am i ?? steve r walker i think ?went to walkley county school 1953 to 63, good days then...anyone remember????

Hi Steve , my name is Dave Meller , born in Walkley ( 28 Rangley Road ) and went to Bole Hill County School in the same years that you posted, must admit real good days in those times.

Hi

Doeas anybody have any memories of life on Daniel Hill Street?

Jack and Ivy Loy with family of Jack/Myrna/Jose. lived at 111 Daniel Hill next door to butchers.

Jack was frequent visitor to the Blake.

Policebox,Ridges paper shop/Priors wallpaper shop

I stand corrected on the dates of the garage. In fact, having read these recent inputs, I am wondering if I do remember passing it before I left. Strange things these memories!

I remember the Co-op - we used to have to quote our number every time we went. I still remember ours to this day. The shuttle thingy was great - I had forgotten them in the Co-op but didn't a shop on South Road have some as well (Hawksworth's?)?

The name Hodgson rings a bell and maybe Trudy but all a bit vague.

I was at St Mary's something like '62 and left in '68 and some of those names resonate. I was friends with Martin Rutter and he had older brothers. They lived a few streets nearer town in a house with a huge garden and opposite (maybe up a bit) the Cryers who had three girls - I went to school with Anthea; she had an older and a younger sister.

We lived next to Ian Smith and I remember Tony Jessop and Peter Shirt. For a time, I went in to school (King Edwards) with Peter who was a year ahead of me. Wasn't there also Steven Proctor?

In my year we had Mark Foulds, David Biggins, Paul Fisher, .... and there were more girls in our year. We must have shared many of the same teachers.

Ah, memories!

You mention Stephen Procter- was he from St Josephs, Walkley? If it's the same one, he used to live on the bend at the junction of Northfield Road and Heavygate Road. I knew him at St Josephs.

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 17:45 ----------

Hi TWhits, that makes me a year older than you as I was in the same class as Stephen Proctor, William Kear, Stephen Eddis, Andrew Thomas, Micheal Lonsdale, David Whitaker, David Harrison, David Bradley, Peter and Fay Wardley Dawn Haire who moved down Freedom Rd. I also remember Susan and Anthea Cryer Alison Leigh, Helen Frith, Jane Maxon, Andrea Mowinski, Hilary Turner, Jean Hallam and of course the Maloney's Stephen, Kevin and Neil I know there was more but I cant remember their names. I lived next door to Mark and John Webster, I had some great times growing up around there playing on the Bolehills and Crookes Valley and Weston parks, Rivelin and the Donkey woods area. I have just remembered someone else Robert and Diane Smalley who used to live at the top of Burgoyne Rd, all in all I enjoyed my chidhood in and around Walkley. I drove along South Rd this morning and was visualising the shops that were there and how much it's changed, no fish mongers and yes it was Hawksworths at the top of our street I remember the row of shops at the top of Industry St and the one at the bottom of Highton St being built, do you remember Bobby Knutt living above Johnathons Laundrette and the Take 5 cafe, my god what memories.

Have just realised that it was Helen Tanser who lived next to Trudy Hodgeson.

Sorry to come in this so late- you mention Stephen Edis- there can't be many with such an unusual name! He went to Myers Grove and was my best mate for a long time, lived on Storrs Hall Road as I did. Went to his wedding, married my wife through his wife's best friend etc holidays together etc and still keep in touch, if it's the same man.

andycott:You mention Stephen Procter- was he from St Josephs, Walkley? If it's the same one, he used to live on the bend at the junction of Northfield Road and Heavygate Road. I knew him at St Josephs.

I don't know if he started at St Joseph's. I have vague recollections of him being a bigger lad than most and with ginger hair. I think he might have gone to King Edwards in around 1967? Does that sound right?

Edited by TWhits

andycott:You mention Stephen Procter- was he from St Josephs, Walkley? If it's the same one, he used to live on the bend at the junction of Northfield Road and Heavygate Road. I knew him at St Josephs.

I don't know if he started at St Joseph's. I have vague recollections of him being a bigger lad than most and with ginger hair. I think he might have gone to King Edwards in around 1974? Does that sound right?

Hi That's exactly how I remember him but the timing sounds wrong. I can see his face now n my memory. I guess he would have left St J's around 1966-67 to go to senior school, so probably not the same lad. The one i knew had a roundish face, big build and sandy/gingery hair.

Hi That's exactly how I remember him but the timing sounds wrong. I can see his face now n my memory. I guess he would have left St J's around 1966-67 to go to senior school, so probably not the same lad. The one i knew had a roundish face, big build and sandy/gingery hair.

Oops, tired moment, it would have been around Summer 1967 that he left. I had thought he was still at St Mary's when he left for King Edward's but he can't have left St Joseph's at the same time. Your description does match my hazy recollections and the timing matches. Maybe he moved from one school to the other for his final year or two. As I said, he was a year above me and so it is most likely me that is wrong.

I wasn't born in Walkley but spent my young childhood years there. I went to St Mary's school on South Road and have mant happy memories of time spent there, before I went to the City Grammar. It was like a little village in those days. Every shop you needed was there, without having to visit town.Some things remain the same there, but much has changed. It always saddens me to see St Mary's and no shouting, playing children running around in the playground. I wonder if there's anybody out there who was at St Mary's in the mid to late 40s and early 50s?

Hi ,

I lived in Walkley until I was 9 . My dad was Ray Godbehere and my entire familly - aunts, uncles, grandparents , used to live in the area - in fact I think bole hill school had countless generations of Godbeheres . Cheers, David