Memories Of Walkley

Thanks Hugh

I have sent you a pm :)

I can remember Paul & David Smith, Julie & Tracy Slack,also there was Antony Smith (no relation to the twins), the Kings,Archibalds,Williams all lived on Hoole St.

Most could be found playing football in Burgoyne rd school, top yard, after climbing over the gates.

paul smith was my 1st bf when i was 8 we all used to go to abc saturday morning club

Murder of Winifred Jesse HEPPLEWHITE at 33 Fir Street, Sheffield on or about 3 January 1966 by her husband Police Sergeant Kenneth HEPPLEWHITE of the Sheffield City Police.

I found this on The National Archives

Hi Bassman I have been trying to trace relatives. Did you know isabella swift husband Frank lived at 20 freedom road , I believe they are my grandparents

My father in laws family are from Walkley, they lived on Channing Street which was just around the corner from Freedom Road

My father in laws family are from Walkley, they lived on Channing Street which was just around the corner from Freedom Road

Lillylace is referring to Freedom Road which is off South Road, I think you meant Freedom Street which was lower down.

i lived at Channing street left there in 71

lived in channing st, top end near burnaby street went to walkley county school

left 1965

Hi can you please tell me your mane, i lived at the top of Channing Street & went to Walkley school

If possible could any one give me more info on the pikelet shop as my daughter bought it twelve years ago it is now a hairdressing salon one of my daughters clients who live on palm st used to work there but has since past away we would love to know more about the history of the shop we know a couple of doors away a house had bacon written on the lintel above the door but this has since been painted out thankyou very much
Hello I believe we have met before i dont know about the pikelett shop but the other shop was Sauls the Noted Bacon shop.;)

In reply to Jamestree, the pikelet shop on South Road was run by Mr and Mrs Gretton or Gratton. Not quite sure which. There was a large, permanently hot slab, on which they poured the batter for the oatcakes and pikelets. There was also, next door, I think, the dairy run by Mrs Gladman. There was a huge tub into which Mrs Gladman would dive to dig out your ice cream!! I believe they made it themselves. I lived in Freedom Road in the 40s and 50s and went to St Mary's school, of which I have many happy memories.

In reply to Jamestree, the pikelet shop on South Road was run by Mr and Mrs Gretton or Gratton. Not quite sure which. There was a large, permanently hot slab, on which they poured the batter for the oatcakes and pikelets. There was also, next door, I think, the dairy run by Mrs Gladman. There was a huge tub into which Mrs Gladman would dive to dig out your ice cream!! I believe they made it themselves. I lived in Freedom Road in the 40s and 50s and went to St Mary's school, of which I have many happy memories.

Where about on Freedom Rd did you live?

We lived at 41 walkley st in the late 60s- early 70s, does anyone remember amblers butcher further down the road? [we still owe him a few quid for all the meat we had on tick] :)

We lived on Daniel street in the big yard opposit the Fulton pub I knocked around with Raymond dams,Martin Hamilton no longer with us i remember the stratfords, hayse,s And also the ambler s I knocked around with Colin I went to Daniel hill school (upperthorpe) I was great growing up in the 60 all those old derelict houses reading all these story's brought back loads of memories