Memories Of Walkley

yes on the corner of hattersley/grammar st

The people either side of the shop were called Hudson and Walkland, the previous owner of the shop was a lady called Stocks.

All the time we livd on grammar street it was mr and mrs hurst who had the corner shop.

they had a dog called boxer.

2 or 3 doors away from the shop is where mrs walkland lived,,with,, maureen,and kenny walkland. othr neighbours were the clarkes,,greens,,mrs rigney,, culfs,,billams,,beightons,,marsdens(they lived next door to us) knights(my family,,on my mums side)

my in laws had a sweet shop on south road some years ago then moved onto bottom of freedom road where i lived with them for a number of years.they were called walker.loved living in walkley.

I knew your in laws, Tony was a bus driver and made some fine home brew which he invited me to sample more than once :)

I was friends with a David Walker who used to live in the "round" house (probably octagonal really) on corner of South Road and Carr Road. Was he related to your Walker?

no,it was tony and rita that owned the shop and their children were darren and donna.

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 22:59 ----------

I knew your in laws, Tony was a bus driver and made some fine home brew which he invited me to sample more than once :)

thats right!!making home brew til the day he died!!!!lol

Edited by mindyw
miss spelling

Hello

My name is Philip Bennett and me and all my family were born and bred in Family.My mums maiden name was Pearson.

I was born in 1952 and lived at 12 Hadfield Terrace (the Terrace was just off the bottom of Hadfield St at the bottom r/h side looking down)

My Grandma and Grandad lived at no9 until 1957 when they moved to 61 Palm St,we then moved into their house at no 9.I have a sister Caroline who is 5 years younger.We both went to Burgoyne road,I then went to Myers Grove and my sister went to City Grammar School.We left Walkley in 1968 as our houses were ear marked for slum clearance.

My Dad was born in 186 Hoole Street and lived there until he married my mum(Iris Pearson) in 1951.

My Grandparents were well known in Walkley right from the 1930's (Charlie and Carrie Pearson)

I still often visit Walkley and the memories are as strong as ever,without doubt the best time of my life.

I can remember Paul & David Smith, Julie & Tracy Slack,also there was Antony Smith (no relation to the twins), the Kings,Archibalds,Williams all lived on Hoole St.

Most could be found playing football in Burgoyne rd school, top yard, after climbing over the gates.

....I was born in 1952 and lived at 12 Hadfield Terrace (the Terrace was just off the bottom of Hadfield St at the bottom r/h side looking down)....

I live in Walkley now but I arrived after the time of the clearances in Lower Walkley. Can you satisfy my curiousity about

this photo.

I have seen lots of references to Hadfield Terrace and found it on old maps. But I have never seen a photo of it. I think the building in the top left corner of this photo must be part of the Terrace. Am I right?

This photo is one of a number with unidentified or uncertain locations which the library pointed out to the Walkley Ways Walkley Wars history project in the hope that we could help add information to the Picture Sheffield database.

Are you able to say anything about what it was like to live in the Terrace? Was it like a little community within a community? What were the houses like? Do you have any photos of it?

Hugh

Hi Hugh :)

That photo is taken at the corner of Walkley Street looking up Hadfield Street.The row of terrace houses on the right have now been replaced with council housing.Look above those houses and you will see a gap then a detached house.That detached house is still there but the land below it has a house built on it now.The people who use to live in that house were Margaret and John Bamford and their son John (who was pal of mine)The bottom part of the row of terrace houses use to be an off licence when I was a lad.

Where the swings are is where our houses(Hadfield Terrace) use to be,the playground has now been replaced by council housing

Hadfield Terrace comprised of 2 rows of 2 up,2 down terraced houses with outside toilets.The top row was numbers 2 to 16 and the bottom row was 1 to 15.they had communal back yards but separate rear gardens.The two blocks were separated by a path with lead to the gardens.The rows ran at right angles to Hadfield Street

Thanks for posting the photo,it has brought back some lovely memories.:)

If you look at this map and zoom in you will see Hadfield Terrace and just below the Terrace is a block of 3 back to back houses.

http://walkleyhistory.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/walkley-colour-coded-houses-for-improvement-1970s.jpg

Edited by Philgben

Thanks for the explanation. I am still trying to make sense of the building in the top left corner of the photograph. The playground seems to be mostly on the site of the back-to-backs.

Hugh

Thanks for the explanation. I am still trying to make sense of the building in the top left corner of the photograph. The playground seems to be mostly on the site of the back-to-backs.

Hugh

That building in the top left hand corner is well above Hadfield Terrace.If you look on Google Earth on street view you will see what I mean.The first properties above where the terrace was have been demolished as well.

I know for a fact that there was a playground where all the terrace was because after we moved out in 1968,about a year later a lad who I was an apprentice with got the top terrace house on the right hand side of street to rent.When he told me it was on Hadfield Street i was gobsmacked,and remember visiting him around 1969/70 on many occasions.I don't have any idea whan they actually built the new houses there.

The Thompsons lived towards the top of Fir St (on the right hand side, going up the road). The "murder/haunted " house was opposite theirs. It was a large detatched house in its own grounds and it was empty for years during the seventies. Apparently, the bloke who lived there was a Seargent in the police and he murdered his wife (poison I think) :o and he put her body in the boot of the car to dump in a reservoir in the lake district. But on the way there he was stopped by the police for some unrelated reason and they discovered the body in the boot!!!! Went to prison for donkeys years and the house stood as he left it. All us kids after school used to try and look through the windows (as you do!) and Mrs Thompson used to chase us all off.

The Murder house you mention was where the BEARDS lived Mrs Beard was a widow who later married a police officer stationed at Woodseats , Mrs Beard had 2 children who myself and my sister were friends with I believe they were called Raymond and Susan Beard , the police officer murdered his wife wrapped her up in a carpet and took her up to somewhere near Newcastle and was stopped by police on his way there for speeding but was let off because of who he was and he carried on and disposed of the body in the sea , I believe it was later found and that was how the police officer was caught ! We used to live at 282 Heavygate rd at the back of the LOLLYPOP Shop as it was called then ! We left there about 1954 when I was 12 years old and moved to Pitsmoor ! My sister and I went to Bole Hill Road school !

That building in the top left hand corner is well above Hadfield Terrace.If you look on Google Earth on street view you will see what I mean.The first properties above where the terrace was have been demolished as well.

I am now confident that the building I'm talking about is 27 Hadfield Street, just above the terrace. The facade seen in the photo was adjacent to the back wall of the back yard of the upper terrace. That building itself was later demolished, as you say.

What cleared it up for me is an aerial photograph which I have which looks down at an oblique angle across this area towards a blank space at the bottom where the Langsett Estae would be built. In this view the terrace and the back-to-backs have been demolished but the playground has not yet been created. The building with the chimneys can be seen and from the map I can tell it is number 27 (there were people called MATHER living there in the ealy 50's).

If you pm me an email address I will send you a copy of the aerial photo. (I can't find it online).

Hugh