Memories Of Walkley

I had already left school when you were at St Mary's, so was before your time there. I remember Barry Betts used to live at the round house, but obviously he must have moved on.His mum used to have to climb through the back window to get to the bin!! I too remember the flying cups with money in, shooting across the wire to the little glass box high up in the shop! Happy days!

I am fairly sure they had a back door when I visited. We used to play football on a gravelly area that he accessed from his back yard. We must have gone through a door to get there. Maybe they added one later?

I think a back door must have been added at a later date, because the whole idea of in and out the window to get outside always made me smile. bear in mind, my recollections are probably years before your friend lived there!

I think a back door must have been added at a later date, because the whole idea of in and out the window to get outside always made me smile. bear in mind, my recollections are probably years before your friend lived there!

I knew someone whose garage was rather narrow - she used to climb out of the hatchback door as she couldn't get the side doors open!

I would love to know the dates to research this and may even have a trip up Fir St to look for the house - Fir St is only 2 mins away from me as I still live local.

Maybe my Dad knows more-he has lived in Crookes practically all his life!

Have never heard this story before though!

mumsy

I went to St Mary's in the late 60's early 70's and walked past this house every day on my way home. You can't mistake the house as it stands on its own near the top. I think the dirty deed was done in the late 50's/early 60's but I'm not totally sure - I'll try and do some investigating and let you know if I find anything:)

Wasn't there a tennis court wher the shops are now?

The tennis court was behind the Rose House pub.

I think you could be right as the name sounds familiar!

Did he have a tightly curled gingerish hair?

mumsy

I was only very young at the time but i'm sure he did have ginger hair.

the smith twins was paul n david i was in same year as tracey slack i think they had an older brother called steven

i was about 9 when i came out of the brownies in st marys walked in front of the 95 bus and was knocked over but still got to jump the toadstool 2 weeks later so i could be a girl gude

Can anyone remember the shop that used to be on Burgoyne Road ?

I can remember Sidalls off licence next door to the bath hotel pub bottom of Whitehouse rd.

There was ashfords shop on Burgoyne rd (post office?), I also remember the sweet shop on the corner of burgoyne and elton st opposite the school.

There were numerous shops i'm struggling to remember near the bottom, the only one I remember was Windleys funeral directors (only because I was in the same class as Mick Windley)

Happy days

Yes, I remember having my hair cut at Mr Thomas the barber (not hairdresser!). He used to wear a long brown smock and would sharpen cut-throat razors on a 'strop'. It used to unnerve me before taking my position in the chair (although being under eleven year old at the time, I don't know why). Short back and sides was the only hair cut offered those days.

I remember the news that he had died through swallowing his false teeth I guess in about 1959 before I passed my eleven-plus. Mr Binks and his wife ran a Barber shop shop further up toward Mr Oliver the Dentist on Howard Hill.