Memories Of Walkley

Don't remember Julie Waterhouse but did Vicky Thompson have a brother called Russell?

Not sure, possibly. She had an older sister, Joy. I think Julie had a younger brother. Another girl I was struggling to recall from that class was Marion Foulston (she had an older sister called Elaine).

Not sure, possibly. She had an older sister, Joy. I think Julie had a younger brother. Another girl I was struggling to recall from that class was Marion Foulston (she had an older sister called Elaine).

Sorry for late reply - been working::( The name FOULSTON rings a bell I remember the caretaker at St Mary's was Mr Foulston, the Thompsons lived on Fir Street (opposite the "Murder House"!!!

Sorry for late reply - been working::( The name FOULSTON rings a bell I remember the caretaker at St Mary's was Mr Foulston, the Thompsons lived on Fir Street (opposite the "Murder House"!!!

I used to work with Russell Thompsons' mum Doreen and his then girlfriend Tina many years ago before Fred (Russells Dad) died and they all moved to Mablethorpe. I think Vicky used to run the sweetshop on South Road with her husband. There was also a much younger daughter too or was that Vicky-sorry getting confused!

What was the 'murder house??' am intriged as can only remember the 'Rileys' living opposite on Fir St more or less, please do tell more!!

mumsy

Edited by mumsy

That's right on both counts. Dad Foulston became St Mary's caretaker whilst I was there (I was only vaguely aware of the chap before him. I was there in same class as Elaine and my sister was friends with Marion. Thompsons were up towards top of Fir Street (I think you are right with that road). Joy was oldest, Vicky a couple of years younger and Russell (I couldn't recall his name) younger still.

"mumsy": I hadn't heard of murder house either. I don't know if there was an even younger sibling and the family must have moved to Mablethorpe after I left Walkley.

Edited by TWhits

I used to work with Russell Thompsons' mum Doreen and his then girlfriend Tina many years ago before Fred (Russells Dad) died and they all moved to Mablethorpe. I think Vicky used to run the sweetshop on South Road with her husband. There was also a much younger daughter too or was that Vicky-sorry getting confused!

What was the 'murder house??' am intriged as can only remember the 'Rileys' living opposite on Fir St more or less, please do tell more!!

mumsy

The Thompsons lived towards the top of Fir St (on the right hand side, going up the road). The "murder/haunted " house was opposite theirs. It was a large detatched house in its own grounds and it was empty for years during the seventies. Apparently, the bloke who lived there was a Seargent in the police and he murdered his wife (poison I think) :o and he put her body in the boot of the car to dump in a reservoir in the lake district. But on the way there he was stopped by the police for some unrelated reason and they discovered the body in the boot!!!! Went to prison for donkeys years and the house stood as he left it. All us kids after school used to try and look through the windows (as you do!) and Mrs Thompson used to chase us all off.

Do any of you guy's remember the name of the Prudential Insurance man who live on Bolehill Road back in the 50's/60's. He used to walk all over the place collecting the premiums. We were talking about him and trying to remember his name. I seem to remember he didn't talk like us so he probably was not a native Sheffielder.

my mum and dad had insrance from the pru I think his name was Mr Trigg??

I remember the Pru man coming to our house when I was a kid but don't remember his name.

my mum and dad had insrance from the pru I think his name was Mr Trigg??

I think you could be right as the name sounds familiar!

Did he have a tightly curled gingerish hair?

mumsy

The Thompsons lived towards the top of Fir St (on the right hand side, going up the road). The "murder/haunted " house was opposite theirs. It was a large detatched house in its own grounds and it was empty for years during the seventies. Apparently, the bloke who lived there was a Seargent in the police and he murdered his wife (poison I think) :o and he put her body in the boot of the car to dump in a reservoir in the lake district. But on the way there he was stopped by the police for some unrelated reason and they discovered the body in the boot!!!! Went to prison for donkeys years and the house stood as he left it. All us kids after school used to try and look through the windows (as you do!) and Mrs Thompson used to chase us all off.

I would love to know the dates to research this and may even have a trip up Fir St to look for the house - Fir St is only 2 mins away from me as I still live local.

Maybe my Dad knows more-he has lived in Crookes practically all his life!

Have never heard this story before though!

mumsy

I lived in Walkley light years ago, in Freedom Rd. The house is now pulled down. Went to St Mary's when it was on South Rd and then to City Grammar.Have very happy memories of the old Walkley. The library, Gladman's dairy across from the library, where Mrs Gladman scooped your ice cream out of a big tub! Hawkesworths, the drapers, Clark's,wet fish shop, Duce's chip shop, both opposite the school, the round house at the top of Carr Rd, long demolished, with no back door!! so many memories. Would be interested to know if anyone else remembers any of these things.

I lived in Walkley light years ago, in Freedom Rd. The house is now pulled down. Went to St Mary's when it was on South Rd and then to City Grammar.Have very happy memories of the old Walkley. The library, Gladman's dairy across from the library, where Mrs Gladman scooped your ice cream out of a big tub! Hawkesworths, the drapers, Clark's,wet fish shop, Duce's chip shop, both opposite the school, the round house at the top of Carr Rd, long demolished, with no back door!! so many memories. Would be interested to know if anyone else remembers any of these things.

I too went to St Mary's abt 1962-1968. When were you there? I also loved the visits to the library, do you remember being walked there in pairs? Sorry, but I but don't remember the ice cream. My mom worked in Hawkesworths for a while - I was fascinated by the little tubes that shot across the shop on wires. I had a friend (David Walker) who lived in that round house. Shared memories.

I had already left school when you were at St Mary's, so was before your time there. I remember Barry Betts used to live at the round house, but obviously he must have moved on.His mum used to have to climb through the back window to get to the bin!! I too remember the flying cups with money in, shooting across the wire to the little glass box high up in the shop! Happy days!