Memories Of Walkley

Which shop would that be that you are thinking of, one that stands out to me was just down from Whitehouse La and was a Lapidiary shop with stones and pebbles in the window I think it was called Massey Lapidiary, across the road used to be a newsagents and a chip shop.

There used to be a butcher's shop on Burgoyne Road in the 50's/60's which was owned by my husband's uncle.

Hi I lived on Heavygate Road (299) and went to St Mary's upto 1974 then onto Kind Edwards, left there in1979. I remember going to school with one of the Eyre girls, I think it was Jane also Allyson Frost,Beverley Hanson, Helen Gratton, to name just a few. Also remember the Garner brothers, Michael Dinnigan, Richard Tunstall etc.... I remember as a child in the mid to late sixties, visiting my grandma on Walkley Street (AdaDamms and my uncle and auntie Jean and Jack Damms) and going to the Co-Op on Walkley St with the money going up in the air on a wire! My dad spent his childhood and teenage years on Walkley St and he remembers a shop on every corner - there was no need to go to town. In 1997 I ran the corner shop at the crossroads of Cundy ST and Walkley St(diagonally opposite Royal Hotel) unfortunately this closed down in1999- couldn't compete with NETTO:mad: Anyone remember the "haunted house" on Fir Street??

I think you are a bit younger than me but some of those names from St Mary's sound familiar (I had a younger sister). Was Alyson Frost the younger sister of Julia and I am sure I remember the name Beverly Hanson.

There used to be a butcher's shop on Burgoyne Road in the 50's/60's which was owned by my husband's uncle.

I remember a coouple more shops being on Burgoyne Rd but I thought the butchers was at the bottom of Whitehouse Lane it had a driveway down the side of it and I think it was part of the Hall butchers who had a shop on South Rd and the meat factory at the top of Industry St, what I used to think strange at the time was that Halls were pork butchers and there was another butchers at the side of them I think was Talbots, then there was Jacksons mini market and the german bakers shop. I dont remember any of the names mentioned above apart from Gratton there was a Andrew Gratton lived at 178 Hoole St but don' know if they are related.

Edited by jimbo2107

yes, Allyson was the younger sister of Julia and Andrew Gratton was Helen's brother. Beverley Hanson had a brother Chris and they lived at the top os Industry st.. I may have got confused about the shop in burgoyne, it could have been a greengrocers? by the way I was born in 1962!!

I think you are a bit younger than me but some of those names from St Mary's sound familiar (I had a younger sister). Was Alyson Frost the younger sister of Julia and I am sure I remember the name Beverly Hanson.

what was your sister's name?

what was your sister's name?

Joy - and she was friends with Julia. Do I know you?

yes, Allyson was the younger sister of Julia and Andrew Gratton was Helen's brother. Beverley Hanson had a brother Chris and they lived at the top os Industry st.. I may have got confused about the shop in burgoyne, it could have been a greengrocers? by the way I was born in 1962!!

I was born in '55 so I am quite a few years older than you, my sister Sally was born in '62 but I am pretty sure that she went St Marys for a few years before our parents separated in '71 when I think she moved to Bolehill school, I remember she had a friend called Julie Gregg whose parents had the grocers shop on South Rd I used to go fishing with her brother David and her dad.

Joy - and she was friends with Julia. Do I know you?

the name Joy doesn't ring a bell, but its possible we knew each other at St Mary's.

does anyone remember the smith twins on cundy street and the slacks

I remember the smith twins but not their first names and I remember Julie Slack.

we lived on cundy st up to1980 when the house below the school were pulled down - we were the "waltons"

the name Joy doesn't ring a bell, but its possible we knew each other at St Mary's.

What about Vicky Thompson or Julie Waterhouse?

What about Vicky Thompson or Julie Waterhouse?

Don't remember Julie Waterhouse but did Vicky Thompson have a brother called Russell?