Memories Of Walkley

I have a old photo of my late Grandad William(Bill) Cawton marching with some of is brothers passed The Rose House pub at the top of Carr Road. The photo looks like it was taken in the late 40's going on the dress of the men. He was born on Hoole Street 1902,lost his first wife & 3 year old child in The Sheffield Blits on St Marys Road. He remarried my Nan,who is still about at 93. On the photo The Rose House is clealy seen,plus the shops signs going down South Road & the corners of top of Carr Road. I had a copy done for the new landlord of the Rose sure he will show it if anyone is intrested.

Here is the view the other way, 1920, possibly taken the same day...

Picture Sheffield image

Hugh

That's a good picture, Bole Hill School is at the back just to the left of centre.

Whats Freedom Road like. I've seen a property for rent on there but i'm not up on that area. I'm 28 and my boyfriends 26 both need good connections to the town and the motorway network. Any advice would be good as i'm from Hackenthorpe so the other side of Sheffield really

Yeah freedom road is great you would love it

What were the original fireplaces downstairs like in the little old terraced houses of Walkley (and elsewhere)?

I've looked round loads of them when I've been looking to move house and I never saw anything that looked like it dated from the period. I asked my coalman once when he came round and he said they were just simple iron things. But I can't picture it really. Presumably they were quite basic in these houses and were ripped out in the 1950s/60s etc, rather than the grander ones in the bigger houses that often still remain.

I replaced mine put a lovely wood and iron fireplace in (from Replicas), but I was just guessing about what it should look like.

What were the original fireplaces downstairs like in the little old terraced houses of Walkley (and elsewhere)?

I've looked round loads of them when I've been looking to move house and I never saw anything that looked like it dated from the period. I asked my coalman once when he came round and he said they were just simple iron things. But I can't picture it really. Presumably they were quite basic in these houses and were ripped out in the 1950s/60s etc, rather than the grander ones in the bigger houses that often still remain.

Our house on Bole Hill road, built at the turn of the century, had a Yorkshire range, which was still in use until we got a gas cooker in the early 1950s I think. Even after that we would boil the odd kettle on it and cook in the oven sometimes.

We finally dispenced with it in the early 60s but all we did was block it off and stick a gas fire in front of it.

All the other rooms had little cast iron fires with a cast iron mantlepiece and tiles at the back.

To light the yorkshire range, you would hold a piece of newspaper accross the front to make it draw. We kids would always manage Accidentally to set the paper on fire and watch it float up the chimney, once in a while we would set the chimney on fire.

I replaced mine put a lovely wood and iron fireplace in (from Replicas), but I was just guessing about what it should look like.

In most houses they had the old Yorkshire range with an oven to one side and a water tank at the other,

You could divert heat under the oven by using a damper which opened the flue going through/under the oven and back into the main chimney.

Thanks. Assuming the ranges were in the dining room/kitchen, what was the fireplace in the front room/lounge/parlour usually like?

We lived in Parsonage Street From 68 to 86 and when we moved in it had all the old fire places in and a yorkshire range in the kitchen/living room there was no hot water tank behind it and my wife used to use the coal oven more than the gas cooker especialy for baking and stews we had them all taken out and the chimeny breasts removed when we modenised it and had a bathroom put in we spent more money on the improvments than what the house cost. The fire places in the two bedrooms were small iron which required black leading the same as the range the one in the room was a tiled suround with a larger grate than those in the bedrooms and all were in working order up to them comming out.The toilet was up the garden as well when we first moved in.

Thanks. Assuming the ranges were in the dining room/kitchen, what was the fireplace in the front room/lounge/parlour usually like?

Ours was made of cast iron and looked like this except that it had decorative tiles at either side. You can still buy them - they tend to be made in China nowadays. When large numbers of houses in Sheffield were being demolished, some people had a profitable sideline buying them up (or even just rescuing them from skips etc.) and then restoring them for resale.

As Tooeg and Bassman describes, a plain little Yorkshire range with the oven at the left, nothing fancy, can't remember any water connection to ours though (off Grammar St.) We removed it around 1960 for a cream tiled "modern" surround with little insets at either side of the fire opening for ornaments. I also remember the remnants of small bore gas piping in parts of the house from the days when there was just gas lighting.

When we moved into an estate house at Foxhill/Wadsley Bridge in 1971, we learned that the council had recently removed the "ranges" from all the kitchens in these houses.

Anybody any memories i used to live on freedom road my family still live there and have done since late 70's

Discuss Please!!!!

I used to live on Grammer Street until mid seventies.

This thread brings back some memories. I lived on South Road Walkley from 1961 to 1967. My mother and her dad had a fishing tackle/fancy goods shop next to a butchers and a couple of doors away from the Rose pub. We moved there from Infirmary Road. My Grandad lived on Stannington Road opposite the Anvil pub and we used to walk from our house to the Anvil pub every Sunday night.