Memories Of Walkley

My wife Brenda lived at 111 Industry Street 1945 to 66

My wife Brenda lived at 111 Industry Street 1945 to 66

Was 11 one of the ones set back a little? Just had a look on Street View and 111 seems to have been knocked down.

Was 11 one of the ones set back a little? Just had a look on Street View and 111 seems to have been knocked down.

Yes it as been knocked down but it is 46 years since she left there :)

I was born in Camm st, moved to Hoole st, went to Burgoyne rd school (as was), until we moved away in 1966

i went to burgoyne rd school then king edwards i left walkley 78 i rember the corner shop ray n christine im sure they had a son called adrian

Yes i use to live at 48 Hadfield Street in the 50's. My brother went to St mary's just across the road. We use to get lovely ham off the bone from the shop on the corner. Fish shop just up the road and cinema and library all within walking distance. Loved the house. I recently spent two glorious days walking old haunts with some friend's from childhood. Could move back to Walkley in a flash.

My Aunty lived at the top of hatfield st, lovely big old house, it had an outside toilet though, I think they had one inside too but we weren't aloud to use that one, I remember it was the first time I'd seen an automatic washing machine, i got a chair and sat in front of it and whatched it go around.

My Grandma lived on providence road, next door was a little woman that was always sat with the front door open, ever one knew her as Little Lilly.

i went to burgoyne rd school then king edwards i left walkley 78 i rember the corner shop ray n christine im sure they had a son called adrian

The corner shop between Industry Street and Walkley Street? Yes, I remember that. I recall fetching an ice-cream block sometimes probably for Sunday tea. I took a polystyrene block to put it in and keep it cool - probably before we had a fridge.

There were a lot of corner shops back then and a shop in the middle of the bottom half of Industry Street - probably no83. I recall a boy called Ian Smith living there. It was then bought by son of someone who lived further down and stopped being a shop. I think there must have been a corner shop between Hoole Street and Walkley Street that was also converted into just a house - the Hayre family lived there for a while. A bit further on there was the Co-op was that Walkley Street and Cundy Street?

we lived opposite the halls and cadmans opposite the corner shop lived fretwells

we lived opposite the halls and cadmans opposite the corner shop lived fretwells

Did the Frosts live somewhere near that as well? They had two girls if I recall, eldest Julia I think.

The corner shop between Industry Street and Walkley Street? Yes, I remember that. I recall fetching an ice-cream block sometimes probably for Sunday tea. I took a polystyrene block to put it in and keep it cool - probably before we had a fridge.

There were a lot of corner shops back then and a shop in the middle of the bottom half of Industry Street - probably no83. I recall a boy called Ian Smith living there. It was then bought by son of someone who lived further down and stopped being a shop. I think there must have been a corner shop between Hoole Street and Walkley Street that was also converted into just a house - the Hayre family lived there for a while. A bit further on there was the Co-op was that Walkley Street and Cundy Street?

Yes the Co Op was on that corner and has been converted into houses. Across the road on the corner of Hoole St and Walkley St,[ Now a carpark].

Was a corner shop calles Poppys [1960,s].

On Walkley St its self there were many shops inc Chinese takeaway,paint and wallpaper. butchers etc, also a couple of Pubs.

There was also a builders yard on the corner of Burgoyne Rd and Walkley St.

Three of us on this forum all within 100yds or so! We were next door to the shop but the shop part was closed leaving just the private house with bigger windows than the nearby houses. I lived there 1957-1978.

does anyone remember the smith twins on cundy street and the slacks

Walkley street from the bottom of Fulton Road ,hair dressers,mrs Pryor wall paper shop ,sweet shop, wool shop , houses, mrs eyre sweet shop great black currant penny lollies, Colin Ambler butcher , fruit shop Tony& Pat Baines Chinese chippy ,Biltons Bakery have I missed any one off all the shops I remember when I was a kid not forgetting the butchers across on the other side tysons tobacconist , the wonderful paper shop run by The ridge brothers I think they were Norman and Bill mrs baron top of Blake street , mrs day at the bottom oh you have got me going now !!!!