Memories Of Walkley

I lived in Walkley for about a year and can honestly say I have never known such a narrow minded, petty, whingeing, unfriendly and parochial bunch of neighbours in my entire life

Clearly their regime of ostracism worked as you are coming across as the sort who would not adjust to the mores and standards of this close-knit community.I hope that your spell in Malaysia suits you,and I bet no-one locks their doors where you are.

Edited by gnvqsos

... i saw not long ago that 84 was up for sale for what looked like a big house off the street i couldn't believe it was only a 2 bedroom..
Yes - it looks like a big house but it's only one room deep. When it was first built it had just four large rooms + cellars. Built in (I think) the mid-1800s it originally had a lot of land around it that was sold off for development in about the 1870s. Sydney paid less than £1000 for it in the 1950s, and sold it for £32,000 in 1995 (by which time it was in poor condition internally). It sold for £154,000 in 2007.
..can you remember the church at the bottom , i have looked for ages to try and find the name of it , any ideas ?
It was Cundy Street United Methodist Chapel - here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site. Edited by hillsbro

Yes - it looks like a big house but it's only one room deep. When it was first built it had just four large rooms + cellars. Built in (I think) the mid-1800s it originally had a lot of land around it that was sold off for development in about the 1870s. Sydney paid less than £1000 for it in the 1950s, and sold it for £32,000 in 1995 (by which time it was in poor condition internally). It sold for £154,000 in 2007.It was Cundy Street United Methodist Chapel - here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site.

Thanks for the info on the church, ive looked at the picture it's how i remember it but maybe a little more derilict, was it used later as some kind of printers , i say this as we used to play in it and down in one of the cellars there were loads of old printing tablets, really appreciate the info , thanks

Another church was St Saviour's, a chapel-of-ease to St Mary's which faced up Cundy Street from the other side of Whitehouse Road. This went out of use in 1934 but the building stood empty for a long time, according to the church council minutes.

The only photo I know of this church is attached to an illuminated address to the Vicar of Walkley which is in St Mary's somewhere.

Hugh

...was it used later as some kind of printers , i say this as we used to play in it and down in one of the cellars there were loads of old printing tablets...
Yes, you've awoken a faint memory; I do remember a printing firm being there for a time. I imagine this would be in the late 1960s; the properties would have been demolished around 1970-71.

Another church was St Saviour's, a chapel-of-ease to St Mary's which faced up Cundy Street from the other side of Whitehouse Road. This went out of use in 1934 but the building stood empty for a long time, according to the church council minutes.

We used to play in the rubble of that church 1946/7. I always thought that was a result of a visit by the Germans in 1940, it certainly looked like it was bombed out.

Clearly their regime of ostracism worked as you are coming across as the sort who would not adjust to the mores and standards of this close-knit community.I hope that your spell in Malaysia suits you,and I bet no-one locks their doors where you are.

I can only relate what I experienced. Having growing up in a close knit community on Parson Cross, it was hardly a case of culture shock. Perhaps I was just unfortunate in the neighbours I had. I don't really see what security has to do with this, however for the record someone tried to steal my car when I lived in Bole Hill Road but was thwarted by the steering lock. The grouchy old git next door very kindly called the police, not to report the attempted theft, but to report the car was causing an obstruction as it had crept out into the road a couple of feet before the the steering lock engaged.

Having said that. there was a very nice lady used to serve in the mini store just up Walkley Lane and the landlord of a pub nearby (Freedom?) was a top bloke.

Thanks, my ten years stint in Malaysia is suiting me very nicely, it certainly beats the pants off Walkley and the Little Hitler mentality of some of its residents.

It was a long time ago, perhaps things have changed:rolleyes:

I can only relate what I experienced. Having growing up in a close knit community on Parson Cross, it was hardly a case of culture shock. Perhaps I was just unfortunate in the neighbours I had. I don't really see what security has to do with this, however for the record someone tried to steal my car when I lived in Bole Hill Road but was thwarted by the steering lock. The grouchy old git next door very kindly called the police, not to report the attempted theft, but to report the car was causing an obstruction as it had crept out into the road a couple of feet before the the steering lock engaged.

Having said that. there was a very nice lady used to serve in the mini store just up Walkley Lane and the landlord of a pub nearby (Freedom?) was a top bloke.

Thanks, my ten years stint in Malaysia is suiting me very nicely, it certainly beats the pants off Walkley and the Little Hitler mentality of some of its residents.

It was a long time ago, perhaps things have changed:rolleyes:

Walkley is still full of students, trouble is most of the Pubs are shut, there's only the Florist, Freedom and that one on Commonside left.

Walkley is still full of students, trouble is most of the Pubs are shut, there's only the Florist, Freedom and that one on Commonside left.

Thanks for the info

The Walkley Cottage has gone?

I live in east Anglia and have for years but I was born in Greaves St(1948) almost opposite the infant school - my Grandad made sausages in a shed at the bottom of his yard in King James street (known locally as the sausage yard!)I think all the little old houses were pulled down years ago as a couple of years ago I returned to Sheffield and tried to find Greaves Street. Found the gennel between Greaves Street and King James Street (majuba street) though

hi my brother & me lived in Greaves Street just above Laws shop & went to Walkley school from nursery till leaving at 15yrs old.you will be the same age as my brother Trevor im older

No mate , st.marys in the 70,s and then went to king teds in 78 and left in 1983 .

You were at King Teds at the same time as me then and I remember the incident of someone jumping out of the window. I was born in Crookes and went to Westways but have lived in Walkley for nearly 20 years now.

Sorry to be so late in replying to your question , yes 282 Heavygate Road was near the old Crookes tram terminus , The Lollypop Shop was above our cellar, there were two more houses in our yard going towards the top of Greenhow Street .

regards 1942mick