17 year old cat losing his sight

I have a 17 year old cat, whose sight is fading, considerably.

I think he's got cataracts, as his eyes are going cloudy.

b) is there anything can be done, for a cat that's got cataracts? and

b) At his age is it (i) cruel and (ii) unnecessary to put him though any procedure to cure it?

He's still fairly spry, but I'm afraid that I might need to do the "kind thing" for him, as he's a bloomin' contrary thing who won't come inside, even in the slinging-it-down rain... I'm scared he's not going to cope, outside, with poor sight, as an "Ornery" and "Awkward" old beggar.

Awwww- poor Jazzy cat!

I don't think that it's necessarily cruel to put him through the procedure to remove the cateracts. There's definitely an operation to remove them, but in most cats it does result in a reduction in focus long term, because the replacement lenses only focus at one focal length (as if you were wearing glasses) compared to a real lens which has movable focus.

Compared to living with cataracts the replacement lenses are still likely to offer him a huge improvement in sight, if only because the amount of light entering his eyes will be much greater, so even if things are a little out of focus he'd be able to see moving items, from cars to dogs, in order to avoid them.

If he's a healthy 17 year old then I don't think that any vets would automatically rule him out for a procedure such as this. What you have to remember is that it's quite normal for cats to live into their 20s these days and if he's healthy now he could have another 5 years or more of quality before he's properly ill.

What I would advise is to have kidney and liver function tests done before considering a general anaesthetic. An apparently healthy older cat can be pushed into kidney or liver failure by an anaesthetic, so it's possible that this blood test will make up the vet's mind as to whether it's a good idea for the procedure to go ahead and your mind as to whether you want to put him through it.

I'm entirely with you on drawing the line for each animal and I understand that he would be miserable and stressed inside, so I think your choices should be based on Jazzy, rather than what's possible, but I don't think you should write him off just yet ;)

Give him a fuss off me when you get the chance please :)

Thank you for your encouragement, and sage advice, Med.

I definitely don't want to write Jazz off, yet, either, but neither do I want him to go through any pointless suffering if I can help it.

I'll give Jazz a lovely scruffle from you as soon as I can.

Thing is, as you know, I am insistent that my animals live a healthy and happy life, but do not want to put them through any unnecessary suffering.

I do believe that QUANTITY of life does not always equate to having Quality of life.

He is still reasonably spry for an elderly cat, but is definitely starting to get a bit "creaky" and slowing down. He's definitely not the Youthful lad he was. He's still happy in himself, which is the paramount consideration, in my book.

I will talk to the vet about the options, and, with them, look at what his general health is like, currently, to see what they think WRT putting him though any procedure(s).

Just wanted to say that I know how you feel. My cat is of an inderterminate age as she is a rescue we`ve had her for 12 years , rescued her from the most awful French refuge when we lived over there and along with our dogs, brrought her back to the UK two years ago . The Vet thinks that she is about 15 but could be more and she is also slowing up and showing signs of sight problems . I couldnt agree more about quality being more important than quantity , while ever a pet is happy and able to function , let them but as soon as they show signs of distress, re think . I wish you all the best with your cat , love makes such a difference !

Thanks for your kind words CM.

When I had to have Old Dog PTS last year, the "quantity vs quality" quandary came up.

Old Dog had fifteen loved and happy years with me, and Jazz has had seventeen, so far, (well, he's actually 17 tomorrow) as I had them both from 7/8 weeks of age, so I know that when I took Old Dog, and when the time does come for me to take Jazz for the "long walk", they will not have been short-changed when it comes to having had a happy, long life.

WRT Jazz, my concern is to not cause him any pointless suffering. I don't want to put him through any procedure that will not really be of overall benefit to him because he is getting on, now. I want him to have as dignified a last chapter or so, and exit, as he has had life.