Strange phone call - anyone else??

Wonder if they've got your details from the electoral register - did any of the people who have had these calls ask for their details to be removed from the version that is publicly available?

Don't think so - One of these calls invited me and my wife to attend - when I have never been married. The only item of mail I have received addressing both me and a Mrs is on water bills - think it got on there when my mother paid one several years ago (got mailed there while staying with her at the time). Anyway I hung up after a few seconds.

Edited by CheekyBandit

We had the same phone call Sunday. I asked her to send samples so we could examine them at our leisure, prior to us committing to viewing the exhibition.

She declined for some reason!

I also asked how she had got our private phone number, she said we had entered a competition at some point that gave them the right to phone us. Load of rubbish!!

These numbers in my experience are normally from internet phones. At the end of the day if you want to go its up to you. I personally never do business with cold callers. C old calling is in my opinion the lowest form of marketing in the world. If things are so bad they have to resort to that then I dont want to know them.

Don't think so - One of these calls invited me and my wife to attend - when I have never been married. The only item of mail I have received addressing both me and a Mrs is on water bills - think it got on there when my mother paid one several years ago (got mailed there while staying with her at the time). Anyway I hung up after a few seconds.

Sounds like they could have got the info from a site like 192.com or something similar. I had one this morning for my mum, I asked who was calling, but could not understand the name, when I asked the lady again she said in a very strange almost fake american accent thank you and hung up - cheeky so and so, how dare she ring my house and then put the phone down on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we should all turn up at these events and tell them what we think! Whilst leaving someone hiding in our houses of course :hihi:

I had a few calls yesterday from a number which came up as 000000000. When I answered the phone, there was nobody there.

Had another this morning but this time there was a lady who asked for me by name. She said she was phoning from the Limoges factory in France and was inviting me to an event at the Sheffield Park Hotel on the 29th May.

She had my address and my full name. She said her name was Angela Davis which didn't fit with the foreign accent.

Anyway, she asked which time slot I wanted to go to the event and if I had the names of anyone I would be bringing with me. Didn't give her any of this information.

Apparently I will receive a free gift for going!

I've just called the Sheffield Park Hotel and they said they have a booking on that day for a company displaying French tableware.

Genuine or strange?

Anyone else had the invite? imagine they're inviting people from the area if it's genuine.

I have never shown an interest in Limoges porcelain or anything similar by the way!

I had a call from them this morning, asking for me by name. I mentioned that i'm registered with TPS and that they should remove me from their contact list. I hate this form of marketing as well! Wonder where they got the details?

I had a few calls yesterday from a number which came up as 000000000. When I answered the phone, there was nobody there.

Had another this morning but this time there was a lady who asked for me by name. She said she was phoning from the Limoges factory in France and was inviting me to an event at the Sheffield Park Hotel on the 29th May.

She had my address and my full name. She said her name was Angela Davis which didn't fit with the foreign accent.

Anyway, she asked which time slot I wanted to go to the event and if I had the names of anyone I would be bringing with me. Didn't give her any of this information.

Apparently I will receive a free gift for going!

I've just called the Sheffield Park Hotel and they said they have a booking on that day for a company displaying French tableware.

Genuine or strange?

Anyone else had the invite? imagine they're inviting people from the area if it's genuine.

I have never shown an interest in Limoges porcelain or anything similar by the way!

we have also had a miss call from that number

We got the call twice yesterday. Yes I'm TPS registered, No I've not entered a competition.

The TPS reduces the number of sales calls but I still usually get 1 or 2 a month (4 yesterday!)

Complaints to the TPS are a complete waste of time. They can fine up to £5000 per call but they have NEVER fined anyone. In 2008 the only action taken by TPS/ICO was to send "please stop doing this" letters to a grand total of 4 companies!

So useless are TPS that there is now a commercial competitor trading on the failure of TPS. In their sales bumph they write: "Have you ever tried contacting the Telephone Preference Service? Have they actually stopped you from receiving nuisance calls? Whether they have or not - the Call Prevention Registry puts the needs of its customers first. You can expect to get attentive action from our company at all times." However I suspect this is just a scam charging £35.75 p.a. to register your number at TPS.

Rather than reporting calls to TPS waste as much of their time and money as possible - how about inviting the salespeople to visit?

In the Limoges porcelain instance how about a Sheffield Forum flash-mob attending? Or maybe if we all called the hotel and complained they'd cancel the booking?

Im sure it must be against some OFCOM rules to get round anonymous call rejection and other such services by sending an invalid CLI / presentation number. :huh:

I believe it is; but this is why many of them actually ARE ringing from France, the USA, India or other places where OFCOM's rules don't mean a thing.