Hamster with a bleeding tail

Hi there, my hamster has had a sore looking tail for a few days now, and when looking at it last night there is a bit of dried blood on it. I think it is a case of him biting at it for some reason. I am taking him to the vets tomorrow, but wondered if there was anything tonight that I can do to help. I will bathe it gently, but wondered if there was a cream that is safe to use?

id say to just bathe it tbh cant think of a cream id use plus it may make it worse

does he scratch alot?

I use tea tree cream for pig wounds, it helps to ease the soreness.

I haven't seen him scratching it however he did have some blood stains on his nails so I suspect he is, plus he is very lazy and gets up late when I am in bed so I am not aware of what he is up to. He is eating well though and does not seem ill in any other way, I dont have a lot of faith in the vets either as they arent often terribly used to hamsters

which vets is he going too? peak is great with small furries...

if theres blood on his claws and hes biting his tail id expect hes got a skin complaint poor thing so hopefully the vet can work out whats making him itchy as well as treating the tail

Unfortunately I left Sheffield 6 months ago and now live in London, I still like the forumers advice on my little friends though! I hope it is something simple and not a skin cancer or something that he can't recover from, it is his second birthday tomorrow as well!

I wonder if it could be a fungal type infection.... those kind of infections love warm and moist conditions

a tumour would be visible...have you changed his diet recently? or there have been cases of lice coming in on bedding or it may be a hormonal thing

that would be a long trip to come to peak for sure lol

hope the little guys ok will be looking for the vet diagnosis on here :)

I think its as simple as him nibbling at it for some reason, nothing else has changed for him. However his nails have grown very long lately, and I have had to trim them for him, so possibly one might have been a bit sharp and so might have hurt his tail when washing. I just wish I could reason with him and say stop nibbling it! He is the sweetest kindest little thing and I can't bear to think of him with a sore tail!

Hi All - update on this one is that he left his tail alone for a few days and it healed itself good as new!

That's great news Minxykitten, hopefully he is right as rain now. :)