Social Housing - any areas to be given over? Places to avoid for workers?

I understand West 1 (in town) is now being given over to less desireable members of society. Obviously, this is a complete nightmare for anyone who has paid top money for "cafe culture" only to find their neighbourhood is to be given over to druggies and other low lifes.

This also has an impact on the resale value of the home.

SO are there any other areas of Sheffield likely to be goven over to social housing, we are moving next year and the last thing we want, is the local neighbourhood to be overran by "the more rubbish elemant of society" less that 2 years after we purchased our new home.

All of the new housing developments in town I would suspect. Town is over run by these new developments and the demand is not great enough. Sooner or later the council will take them on and use them for social housing.

All of the new housing developments in town I would suspect. Town is over run by these new developments and the demand is not great enough. Sooner or later the council will take them on and use them for social housing.

A girlfriend bought one of these places and it was great, although a little rowdy (she was also a 20 something), it was mainly populated by other professionals who living/working near the city centre had great benefits.

HOwever the new breed of non working, smack heads are making the place go down the pan fast, as is her investment.

I don't want to make the same mistake when I move, hence this thread

Not all social housing tenants are scum thanks

Verydull

The thing is, the last thing you want is to be working your backside of, paying every tax under the sun, and up every morning to go to work to pay for the privellidge.

Meanwhile your next door neighbours who don't work, have plenty of money for ale/drugs and plasma TVs (like the one who keeps my friend awake till 5am in the morning) who are rolling in spare cash.

I personally don't want this fate to happen to me. Its a real worry, hence the need to avoid future areas for social housing when I next move home

Not all social housing tenants are scum thanks

No i completley agree, although there are some and i have to admit this situation happened to me. I moved out of home when i was 16 and bought a flat in gleadless valley, they then knocked down the high rises and moved alot of the tenants to where i was living. I hadthe flat valued and it had lost £10,000 because of the new less desirable area status i was gutted!

I understand West 1 (in town) is now being given over to less desireable members of society. Obviously, this is a complete nightmare for anyone who has paid top money for "cafe culture" only to find their neighbourhood is to be given over to druggies and other low lifes.

SO are there any other areas of Sheffield likely to be goven over to social housing, we are moving next year and the last thing we want, is the local neighbourhood to be overran by "the more rubbish elemant of society" less that 2 years after we purchased our new home.

How can a private development be 'given over'??? Or do you mean the housing estate next to west 1? It was there before west 1 was built, so people would have known that they were living cheek by jowl with people who couldn't afford their own properties - people who may or may not be a "more rubbish elemantof society"

How can a private development be 'given over'??? Or do you mean the housing estate next to west 1? It was there before west 1 was built, so people would have known that they were living cheek by jowl with people who couldn't afford their own properties - people who may or may not be a "more rubbish elemantof society"

We not talking about what people earn, indeed many people on the min wage could not afford to live at west one.

I'd rather have a decent hard working person on minimum wage living next to me, than some smackhead living on benefits.

We not talking about what people earn, indeed many people on the min wage could not afford to live at west one.

I'd rather have a decent hard working person on minimum wage living next to me, than some smackhead living on benefits.

But how has a expensive private development been 'given over'? I haven't seen anywhere that it has been sold to the council?

Ha ha ha ha

First they (West One residents) moved into town and then cried because it was noisy.

Then they complained that their cafes and bars had the nerve to empty their bins and clank bottles, and that bin men came at a time that they didn't like.

Now they think they own the town centre and no-one else has the right to live there.

I think the slightly slow-witted undesirables already moved into West One.....

But how has a expensive private development been 'given over'? I haven't seen anywhere that it has been sold to the council?

There was an article about this on BBC News channel the other day. The Government has, I believe, given some money to housing associations to encourage them to buy up some of the empty private properties for social housing.

It turns out that quite a lot of them aren't up to standard, because they're too small or the build quality is very poor. There was a poor sod who'd actually paid over £200,000 for a 2-bed flat and couldn't use the main bedroom when it rained because the windows leaked so badly.

There was an article about this on BBC News channel the other day. The Government has, I believe, given some money to housing associations to encourage them to buy up some of the empty private properties for social housing.

It turns out that quite a lot of them aren't up to standard, because they're too small or the build quality is very poor. There was a poor sod who'd actually paid over £200,000 for a 2-bed flat and couldn't use the main bedroom when it rained because the windows leaked so badly.

West one was a popular site when it opened though, and whenever I've been down there it still looks to be, and not filled with the wasters that the op is afraid of living near... It is bang next to a council estate though, with more to the rear (op waitrose and beyond)... City living is for people who want to live centrally, and in a city this normally means that you will live close by some scruffy hole too... If you want to live in a area that will always be safe, I don't know where to suggest - I know that Dore suffered when the council dropped a load of s1ht kickers on them a few years ago...